MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006

Lyddea

May 9, 2011
If we had gotten COVID19 under control, as a nation, we would all be playing college football this Fall.

Now, with the B1G and the P12 cancelling, the liability risks just escalated substantially. Peer institutions cancelled to keep their players (and families) safe, and you didn't? Oof. I'm not optimistic.

But, again. This is only happening because we chose not to get COVDI19 under control. That was a choice. We chose to have no national response. We are now in a worse place than every other developed nation in the world. We chose to not beat this. So... here are the fruits.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If we had gotten COVID19 under control, as a nation, we would all be playing college football this Fall.

Now, with the B1G and the P12 cancelling, the liability risks just escalated substantially. Peer institutions cancelled to keep their players (and families) safe, and you didn't? Oof. I'm not optimistic.

But, again. This is only happening because we chose not to get COVDI19 under control. That was a choice. We chose to have no national response. We are now in a worse place than every other developed nation in the world. We chose to not beat this. So... here are the fruits.

What is your definition of under control? It is a relative term that seems to change.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
At the height of the outbreak in New York, they were having 5 X more total deaths (all causes) than normal. 5 times. Cities in Italy, France and Spain were in the 3 to 5 times range during their outbreaks. Several South American cities have now been at that level or above.

Sadly, there is nothing slight about that.

I want a football season this fall too. But that’s no reason to come here and spread your factually incorrect BS. We can all argue it’s merits honestly. And there are good arguments to be made for and against.

They also sent sick people into nursing homes to infect everyone. There is another variable to this virus that we haven't yet nailed down. Along with outlawing drugs that are used in other areas. What's the point of outlawing a drug treatment again?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I wish the Big12 would play just to say “**** you” to the other leagues. We could get 10x the eyeballs and be swimming in cash. We’d be the Neo-Auburn of college football world then. The Big12 needs to take advantage of this opportunity because it isn’t going to come along again. Haha

very optimistic...college football is a regional sport in that I can't see people from the Southeast or California care about watching mid pack Big 12 teams play to try to fill a void.

The NFL has already been reported to want to move games to Saturday. That right there would take a significant portion of those people away.

A lot of people will put an asterisk next to whoever has the best record this year because 2 major conferences aren't playing.

• Dumb
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What is your definition of under control? It is a relative term that seems to change.

Imo even if the cases/deaths had continued to go down unless it wanes off or we officially contain it via vaccine it would have taken off a few weeks into the season or at least cases would have started popping up.

We found out in June and July that it was not under control.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
No.

They're afraid of getting sued if something happens. Which I really don't understand because football is already a crazy dangerous game where people regularly get injuries that affect them for the rest of their lives.

That's one of the scary parts about this to me. If the liability risk of COVID is too much for them to bear (the odds of a player dying are absolutely minuscule, and like I said, players already suffer life altering injuries on a regular basis), will they just decide that sponsoring athletics in general is too risk even when COVID is contained?
Your thinking is too narrow.

First, we don't know that the risk is "absolutely minuscule."
Second, the danger about covid is that it is so easily transmitted to others - that's why we have 160000 deaths and god only knows how many serious illnesses and health damage to thousands of others. This virus impacts those who are older and those who have some other health issues.

Sometimes we have to start thinking about others and the bigger picture.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Imo even if the cases/deaths had continued to go down unless it wanes off or we officially contain it via vaccine it would have taken off a few weeks into the season or at least cases would have started popping up.

We found out in June and July that it was not under control.

I’m not saying it is under control. I have read that even an occasional case popping up should halt the season, I think that is not a realistic measure. Using that we probably have slammed the door on college sports for several years. A lot of people have mentioned not until under control. I just want to know what they consider under control.

Reactions: Cloneon

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Your thinking is too narrow.

First, we don't know that the risk is "absolutely minuscule."
Second, the danger about covid is that it is so easily transmitted to others - that's why we have 160000 deaths and god only knows how many serious illnesses and health damage to thousands of others. This virus impacts those who are older and those who have some other health issues.

Sometimes we have to start thinking about others and the bigger picture.

The odds are higher of dying from playing football for these players than dying of Covid.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
very optimistic...college football is a regional sport in that I can't see people from the Southeast or California care about watching mid pack Big 12 teams play to try to fill a void.

The NFL has already been reported to want to move games to Saturday. That right there would take a significant portion of those people away.

A lot of people will put an asterisk next to whoever has the best record this year because 2 major conferences aren't playing.
'Market' is usually controlled by local teams playing. I'll bet 'regions' are being changed as we speak to open those markets up as their 'local' teams have just bowed out of the fall season. But, of course, allot still riding on ... the future.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
For the people thinking that anybody was actually cheering for football to get cancelled.... that’s a terrible take and you should feel bad about it
Oh for crying out loud. I don't think people were "cheering" for football to be canceled. Many of us thought it best to cancel, but "cheering" - that's just horse****. Don't make s*** up because the decision didn't go the way you wanted it to.