JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Sep 14, 2019; Ames, IA, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes quarterback Nate Stanley (4) is tackled by Iowa State Cyclones defensive back Greg Eisworth (12) at Jack Trice Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

The Big Ten has voted to postpone its 2020 fall football season and will explore the option of playing in spring 2021, the league announced on Tuesday. The Pac-12 reportedly has come to the same conclusion, according to multiple reports and will be made official in a media teleconference this afternoon at 3:30 central.

These are the first two Power 5 dominoes to fall after the MAC and Mountain West were the first two leagues to make the move on Saturday and Monday, respectively.

Meanwhile, the SEC and ACC have reaffirmed their intent to play the 2020 season this fall while the Big 12 remains somewhat in limbo at this time.

As of now, 53 of the 130 FBS programs have been impacted by the decisions.

Regardless of the announcement, things could remain...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So help me, what does playing in the Spring do to potentially playing in the Fall 2021? I'm sure this has been discussed I just haven't seen it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Also, RIP 2020-2021 college basketball. Zero chance they play if they don't play football.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I admit, I am a bit hazy on the reasoning.

I’m afraid I haven’t been paying that much attention to sports news. Aside from the Marlins and Cardinals not being careful with their bubbles, are other MLB or NBA teams having major issues?

Reactions: bozclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Rather than focus on the content of this post, I will comment on its style. I like how Jared is able to start a thread with a header graphic (or whatever you call it) that fits the topic. First time I've seen that feature. I assume it is part of the website facelift. Nice. Can I use my own header graphic when I start a thread?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So help me, what does playing in the Spring do to potentially playing in the Fall 2021? I'm sure this has been discussed I just haven't seen it.

Any seniors that have a remote shot at getting drafted won't play, neither will early entrant juniors. The ripple effect will be significant.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

At best, two truncated seasons.

8-game spring season between March and May.

Move fall camp back a month, to Sept. 1.

8-game fall season in October and November.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I admit, I am a bit hazy on the reasoning.

I’m afraid I haven’t been paying that much attention to sports news. Aside from the Marlins and Cardinals not being careful with their bubbles, are other MLB or NBA teams having major issues?

No.

They're afraid of getting sued if something happens. Which I really don't understand because football is already a crazy dangerous game where people regularly get injuries that affect them for the rest of their lives.

That's one of the scary parts about this to me. If the liability risk of COVID is too much for them to bear (the odds of a player dying are absolutely minuscule, and like I said, players already suffer life altering injuries on a regular basis), will they just decide that sponsoring athletics in general is too risk even when COVID is contained?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Also, RIP 2020-2021 college basketball. Zero chance they play if they don't play football.
Even if football was played, due to basketball being indoors the odds of having fans at basketball was infinitesimal all along.

My bet is basketball will run a condensed no fans season starting in January

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
To me this is just CYA. Players/athletes will be just as exposed out and about in the world vs. in a team activity. Obviously safety is important, but making players play two full schedules in 2021 can't be very "safe" for their health either.

Sucks all the way around don't get me wrong.