Big 4 Classic nearing an end?

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
It is very common amongst BCS schools not to schedule other in state schools for home and home series. You don't see KU or KSU playing Wichita State, and those BSC schools that do schedule their smaller in state schools will schedule all at home or no worst than 2 for 1. A big reason to not play their smaller in state schools is for the BCS school there is nothing to gain (RPI not going to improve by winning) and much to loose if you don't win, but for a UNI or Drake there is nothing to loose, but much to gain if they win.

As more and more games are televised this will also put pressure to end the series. For teams like Iowa that have the BTN there is no benefit for the network to televise Iowa vs UNI since they share a TV market, but if they were to televise them playing a Missouri State for instance there are TV's in Missouri that may watch.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's funny that people think that eliminating UNI and Drake games mean another chance at a quality opponent. That WON"T happen, it will be another scrub team, not on TV and barely even covered by the local/national media and probably a minimal impact to the department's bank account

I honestly dont care if the result is another scrub team. At least itd be at home every time, i have season tickets so i dont care about tv, and since i have no interest in drake or UNI i dont really care about those games more than i do SW Tennessee State University. A minor team that we play at home every time is better than a minor team on the road every other year, especially if that minor team on the road is 70% hawkeye fans.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
UNI is not an RPI killer. Consistently Top 100 and every 3 or 4 years in the top 50. Wins against UNI are helpful to the resume, especially on the road.

But let's not let facts get in the way...

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
According to wikipedia for those of us who did not know:
"The Northern Arizona Lumberjacks men's basketball[SUP][1][/SUP] team represents Northern Arizona University, located in Flagstaff,Arizona, in NCAA Division I men's competition. The school's team currently competes in the Big Sky Conference. The team's most recent appearance in the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament was in 2000. The Lumberjacks are currently coached by Jack Murphy, hired in April 2012 after a disastrous season in which previous head coach Mike Adrasresigned in December and the team lost its final 16 games.[SUP][2][/SUP] All NAU Lumberjack basketball games are broadcast on KBTK-FM 105.1 in Flagstaff and are available on-line at www.bigtalkerradio.com"

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
UNI is not an RPI killer. Consistently Top 100 and every 3 or 4 years in the top 50. Wins against UNI are helpful to the resume, especially on the road.

But let's not let facts get in the way...

Exactly, road wins like this HELP. Even road losses to a team like UNI are essentially a wipe out...

The committe said it again this year that teams NEED to play road and neutral site games.

Last edited: