Big 12 rules change on traveling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
That's a travel followed by a double dribble.
I actually think it is only a double dribble. He clearly picks it up, takes 2 steps (maybe 3 depending on when you start the count) and then goes again. Since this is in the first quarter of an NBA game though it doesn't surprise me that there wasn't a whistle.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I guess I don’t understand - a properly executed euro-step, step-back, or spin move doesn’t involve traveling. So if they do these moves without traveling don’t call it, if they attempt these moves and don’t properly execute it, then call traveling….what am I missing?

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Found this on Twitter. Looks like it’s a national thing.

I'm OK with narrowing it to "blatant," which I interpret as "won't be called unless it's a significant advantage for the ball-carrier." Consistent application of it won't be any better/worse than any other rule, I s'pose.

In the Big 12 statement, this amuses me. It might like a violation -- but it isn't!

“You’re going to see plays this year that you’re going to say, ‘That’s a travel.’ And technically, by rule, it is. But they’re going to allow them to happen.”

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Back in the day, faking with the ball then stating a dribble drive was automatic traveling. Not now.

Back in the day, if you were on the ground with the ball and moved, it was automatic traveling. Not now.

Rules change.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I kinda hate it. I will acknowledge that, based on a recent birthday, I’m probably pretty solidly in the “old white guy” stage of life, so I might be required by law to hate it. However, as (I think) Jalen Rose said, people don’t go to basketball games to watch refs make technically-correct traveling calls, they go to watch athletes do amazing things and score baskets. So the change (or emphasis) makes sense.

Reactions: cstrunk

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There will still be nothing to see here. Nope. No sirree.

the last dribble is on the jhawk boot. Hilarious that people think nba players are the ones getting away with walks. I’ve never seen Jordan or LeBron hit a 40 foot layup. Just a typical KU game.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
These things seem to be enforced for awhlie then its back to status quo

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
the last dribble is on the jhawk boot. Hilarious that people think nba players are the ones getting away with walks. I’ve never seen Jordan or LeBron hit a 40 foot layup. Just a typical KU game.

See post #28, holy christ he never dribbled once after receiving the pass.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So we will see Big 12 teams follow these rules during the conference season only to struggle with traveling in post season play?
That’s what I was thinking. How can a conference have different play rules than the NCAA? Maybe they should make a 4 point line for conference play. Free throws are worth 2 if you do it with one hand.