Big 12 rules change on traveling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

"“There’s certain moves that have filtered down over the years and we really wanted the rules committee to address it,” Shaw said. “The rules committee didn’t want to undertake everything, but they did come up with some approved rulings of a travel. Three plays in the past that have been semi-controversial — the Eurostep, the step-back and the spin move — have now got an approved ruling written that basically says they’re legal. You’re going to see plays this year that you’re going to say, ‘That’s a travel.’ And technically, by rule, it is. But they’re going to allow them to happen. The theory being this is the way these kids have played, it’s the way it’s filtered down over the years and we have to adjust to how they play the game.”"

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
For some reason I thought this was going to be about the teams Traveling to away games, etc.
Exactly. I even was reading it that way at first. It made no sense. Yikes.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
So basically they're saying traveling is not allowed, unless it's a:
  1. Eurostep
  2. Step back
  3. Spin move
Just my opinion, but it sounds like a bad idea to me. Either you're traveling or you're not traveling.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Why are they grouping the Euro step in this? It's no more a travel than someone taking their two steps on a standard layup. It's still two steps.

The old spin move always seemed like a travel, but it's been coached for years and even in the old days seemed to be allowed. Hell, I remember going to a basketball camp as a kid where Bruce Pearl was coaching how to do the spin move. And we all know Bruce Pearl values following the rules above all else.

The most egregious travel that people get away with now is the gather-step-jump stop. Allowing that travel puts a defender in an incredible disadvantage, and it is a blatant travel by any definition of the rule.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

"“There’s certain moves that have filtered down over the years and we really wanted the rules committee to address it,” Shaw said. “The rules committee didn’t want to undertake everything, but they did come up with some approved rulings of a travel. Three plays in the past that have been semi-controversial — the Eurostep, the step-back and the spin move — have now got an approved ruling written that basically says they’re legal. You’re going to see plays this year that you’re going to say, ‘That’s a travel.’ And technically, by rule, it is. But they’re going to allow them to happen. The theory being this is the way these kids have played, it’s the way it’s filtered down over the years and we have to adjust to how they play the game.”"
Boooo

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Before I opened this thread, I was worried that KC was off the table again in 2022.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So we will see Big 12 teams follow these rules during the conference season only to struggle with traveling in post season play?
This was my exact first thought. Kind of like the weird euro goal tending rules that get used in tournaments