Big 12 preseason poll is out - ISU picked 9th

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
For now I would say 8th or 9th depending on how bad TT and Baylor end up being. Just like ISU, there is some talent on these teams and some new guys that are going to make a difference. The real question is: is that going to be a good or a bad difference? It is all a giant crap shoot right now.

If Park is amazing and ISU's DL is way better than most expect the Clones could be trouble. Everyone will have a better idea of how the Big 12 will shake out after 2 or 3 games.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
I would love to have the Clones kick a** and jump to 4/5 but not happening. We think we are improving but were the other teams down? League was crapola last year - yes there are new coaches but the talent level and depth they have is still way above us. We are scraping barrel for DLine and OLine while they just plug in some random soph who is 3 levels above our starters. Until those lines are the mainstay of the team we will be in bottom tier. It sucks but is a reality. That is why we are the "midwest" team in the B12 - gotta get the hogs to move the ball and stop the run. Things we do not do well most years. Trickeration and long ball only work so often - eating clock wins games for the defense!

• Winner
Reactions: surly and tolfbfan

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I just want to move up one rung per year for the next few years and win 3/4 of our non-conference in the process. It just takes time in P5 football to re-build and the Big12 powers do a good job of stepping on the necks of the bottom three or so teams. The Big12 is in a fair amount of flux right now and I think there's a chance to move up. Let's hope Campbell can capitalize.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A year ago I took a new job to work at home....never will I ever look back. My biggest 'coworker' problem is sometimes I get a bit stir crazy, but I'll just meet a friend up for a beer and life is good again.

Now that I work from home the most annoying thing I deal with is people that say "don't you miss the engagement at the office?" When I tell them I work from home 80% of the time. HAH GTFO.

Also bold prediction (and I am notoriously negative football poster): WE are going to stir some **** up this year. Don't sleep on Jacob Park. I don't know how many wins it will translate too but this offense is going to have people buzzing in a major way. We will score 50+ in multiple games this season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would love to have the Clones kick a** and jump to 4/5 but not happening. We think we are improving but were the other teams down? League was crapola last year - yes there are new coaches but the talent level and depth they have is still way above us. We are scraping barrel for DLine and OLine while they just plug in some random soph who is 3 levels above our starters. Until those lines are the mainstay of the team we will be in bottom tier. It sucks but is a reality. That is why we are the "midwest" team in the B12 - gotta get the hogs to move the ball and stop the run. Things we do not do well most years. Trickeration and long ball only work so often - eating clock wins games for the defense!

Besides the disastrous first two games, the Clones put up a pretty decent fight last year. The OL and DL are not going to be great this year, but they should be better than last year, and having a year in the system should help a ton. Last year the coaches didn't even know what they had on the lines until the season was half over. Jumping to 4/5 is pretty unrealistic, but 7/8 is not completely crazy. After all the league is not going to go from crapola to great in a year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Surly's cousin must have a vote.
Not aware of any such wise relative.

These projections are based on returning talent, preceding season results, coaching and tradition. The latter being why Texas is always overrated.

Losing Stoops, OU will also lose a game they shouldn't as well as 'bedlam.' That's the basis for putting K-State higher than you'd like to see.

But it's valid based on all the above factors sans 'tradition.' Top 3 QB, best offensive line, best run game, best special teams. Defense is the single glaring concern. But it's not like there's no talent on that unit.

Personally, I believe oSu is the biggest threat due mostly to their favorable schedule but also to a stellar passing game.

Last edited: