Big 12 Beebe Deal News Conference

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I know this may just be a formality issue, but I just relistened to the conference.

Beebe said the forgotten 5 were willing to offer more of their shares (and even just conference share in general in the future) to those OU, UT, and TAMU.

He also said, that Texas had even said they appreciate that, but aren't necessarily interested in going that way.

So yes, the offer is on the table to give all the NU, CU buyouts to the Big 3, but that hasn't been made official or guaranteed.

we may sacrifice even more in the future, and apparently offered it. But for all we know TX, OU and A&M may look at it and in an honorable way way we don't want the money. Sounds like TX even hinted at that. It would make sense that they may say no. It would provide them with like 5 mill (next to nothing for TX), but at the same time make them look very bad from a PR standpoint. It would also increase the instability of the conference because it would always be something the have nots would always remember as a symbol for who the Big 12 is really serving.

I hope your take on the news conference is an accurate assesment, but I am not counting on it and no way am I taking back what I said about Beebe in my previous post.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
What can I say.... some people would rather fight for what is right and just while others are more willing to just bend over and get hammered. Personally... I would rather see ISU go down swinging then to just roll over and get gang raped by Texas, OU, and A&M. This just sets the precedent. Next year when Texas doesn't think they are getting the money they deserve what will happen? Will the lowly 5 sign over 50% of their share of the conference revenue? Then what happens when it is time to negotiate a new tv deal? Will the lowly 5 take 5 million when the big 3 demand 40 million each? Once you bend over for these guys it is what they come to expect and it will never end. They will always demand more because they know they are going to get it because we are DESPERATE!!!!!!! All we have done is signed our own death certificate. In all reality... dropping to a non- BCS conference now would put us in a better position then it will in 4 years when Texas is done with us and we end up in a non-BCS conference anyway.

Yeah, that would show them. ISU basically commiting athletic suicide just so we could say, boy we sure showed them who's boss.

No, the longer ISU stayes in a BCS conference the better.

I'm still waiting for all those other offers ISU had that you keep posting about.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Funny you mention that. Beebe actually brings up how he believes it's God's will that the Big 12 stayed alive and by working to keep it together he was acting in God's interest.

God despised the 70 million children, women and men -- the vast majority civilians fleeing from the carnage of clashing militaries -- who died savagely in World War II (not to mention 17 million in the Great War) but loves Big 12 football?

And I thought college football was a pastime; I did not recognize it for what it really is, a religion. I better reassess.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I know this may just be a formality issue, but I just relistened to the conference.

Beebe said the forgotten 5 were willing to offer more of their shares (and even just conference share in general in the future) to those OU, UT, and TAMU.

He also said, that Texas had even said they appreciate that, but aren't necessarily interested in going that way.

So yes, the offer is on the table to give all the NU, CU buyouts to the Big 3, but that hasn't been made official or guaranteed.

Yes, that's exactly what was said, but you wouldn't know that by reading the posts here. Perhaps hearing and comprehension isn't working so well right now for some posters because their Big-East erections have been draining the blood from their brains for the last week...

And again, Beebe is just not good at extemporaneous speaking. He could have done better job saying what he had to say...

Reactions: Cyched

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Funny you mention that. Beebe actually brings up how he believes it's God's will that the Big 12 stayed alive and by working to keep it together he was acting in God's interest.

Oh good grief. Is God a Texas fan? Surely God has more important work to do other than keeping the Big 12 together.:wink:

Yeah, I know I sound like a complainer. I just can't stand bullies who take advantage of people just because they can.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
God despised the 70 million children, women and men -- the vast majority civilians fleeing from the carnage of clashing militaries -- who died savagely in World War II (not to mention 17 million in the Great War) but loves Big 12 football?

And I thought college football was a pastime; I did not recognize it for what it really is, a religion. I better reassess.

Clearly you haven't seen football in Texas

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Not true, ISU had several great offers from other conferences on the table. :jimlad:

Once again. How do you know what offers we did or did not have? If that is your only defense of your position it isn't much of a defense at all. You are missing the one key element to make your case....... FACTS to back it up.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just a few of my thoughts, feel free to blast away:

1. Yes there isn't a new TV deal right now but when the current one expires there will be and we will make more than we currently are.

2. Who cares that the 5 schools agreed to give Texas and OU the money from Nebraska and Colorado, it got them to stay didn't it and without them the Big 12 wouldn't have the potential for the new TV contract when the current one expires.

3. If this "Influential Group" help keep the Big 12 together why do we need to worry about this happening again every year. I am sure this group made it known that they will fight to keep the Big 12 viable and obviously Texas is influenced by them so I think the Big 12 is fine for at least 10 years.

3. UT's money situation, UT is ALWAYS going to have more money than ISU deal with it. Fact is they already get the top talent so whatever extra money they receive isn't going to help them as much as the extra money ISU will receive.

4. Revenue sharing - Why does it need to be equal? SHouldn't the one that contributes the most get the most? I know at most partnerships I deal with they base the % of profit on what you brought to the company during the year this is how it should be.

By the Big 12 still being intact ISU will be fine and better off in the future.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, that would show them. ISU basically commiting athletic suicide just so we could say, boy we sure showed them who's boss.

No, the longer ISU stayes in a BCS conference the better.

I'm still waiting for all those other offers ISU had that you keep posting about.

I 100 percent agree with you, believe me. There was no white knight in shining armor coming to rescue ISU.

Still, I think Beebe is a puke and hasn't learned a damn thing from all this.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Folks...step back from the ledge, and calmly think about this for just a second...

1) NU's Perlman tipped his hand this morning...his legal argument for no NU penalty is that the penalty only applies if the conference suffers loss from a member leaving, and the new TV deal that was obtained from NU's departure is actually a gain for the conference. Personally, I don't think his argument will hold up based on the way the bylaws are written, but who knows what the courts will do. If Beebe comes out today before the NU/CU penalties are agreed to and signed off by all sides and announces a huge TV deal, he gives credence to Perlman's argument that the Big 12 is gaining (instead of suffering loss) from NU's departure. Perlman apparently knows something of what the Big 12 has been offered. His case completely falls apart if the conference gains are projected, and not real.

2) NU and CU are still part of the Big 12, and they are forfeiting only a % of their revenue for leaving, not the whole amount. If new TV deals went into effect immediately, NU and CU, as members of the Big 12, would still benefit.

3) The Big 12 was only "saved" less than 12 hours ago. There is no possible way for renegotiated TV deals to be in place already. TT hasn't even formally committed yet. Also, the media deals are staggered, which means they come due at different times. There's ESPN/ABC, FOX cable channels, Versus, and perhaps something else we don't know. The Big 12 can't tip their hand until all contacts are signed. Beebe mentioned that the staggered deals are a problem that will be dealt with in the future.

4) I just don't see UT/OU/A&M deciding to stay in the Big 12 based on projections. There's more going on.

I'd be surprised if ANYTHING was mentioned about future revenue increases until all settlements are made with CU/NU, or perhaps even until those two are completely out of the conference.

Finally someone takes a deep breath and looks at it rationally...

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Once again. How do you know what offers we did or did not have? If that is your only defense of your position it isn't much of a defense at all. You are missing the one key element to make your case....... FACTS to back it up.

Easy. I know because JP decided it was best for ISU to stay in the Big XII. Pretty simple to understand that this was the best option, otherwise we would have bolted to greener pastures.

FACT.

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
If their were legitimate offers from other conferences why did Missouri make a strong commitment to the Big 12 last week?

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

I don't need to make a case, I'm not trying to. You're the one who is saying ISU should have done something different then what they did based on your assertion that ISU had other offers.

All I am saying is show me all these offers and all you can respond with is "show me where the offers don't exist". :confused:

Funny how you are so adamant that the offers to ISU from other conferences exist but can’t show any proof to support your contention. But yet in the end ISU,GG and JP decided to stay put with the Big 12. Why is that, if all these other supposedly great offers in fact existed. Why is that?

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010
Reality check Cyclone fans. This fan base is turning into a bunch of whiny crybabies. The fact that Texas, OU and A&M get an incentive not to leave is the free market at work, and anyone that thinks ISU didn't get a benefit as well has lost touch with reality. We remain in one of the best conferences in college sports. Memphis is willing to pay 10m per year to land in a BCS conference. To claim that we got no value from this is ignoring the truth.

No conference was beating down our door to add ISU. Even though some of the conference schools are being given incentives not to bolt to greener pastures this is still the best revenue alternative that we had available.

Whining and crying that things aren't fair isn't going to get us anywhere. If we want to change this culture we need start winning which will make us more attractive to the free market. If we do that, the rewards will follow.

I'm getting so tired of the attitude that is pervasive on this message board that things just aren't fair. I have news for folks. Life isn't fair. Accept it and move forward, and be thankful we are still relevant in the BCS.

Quoted for TRUTH and ACCURACY.....+1

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010
This is a joke of a "deal" for ISU. I will be more than interested to see Pollard's response.

He may come out and make some tough statement for his base.

But do you know what he said to Beebe, and the people at UT, OU and A & M???

Thank you for allowing us to stay in a BCS conference.

Help Support Us

Become a patron