Big 12 Announces $440 million distribution to 10 member teams

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Let's see, three more years of 44 mil payout + no further debt expenditures = no more debt.

Haha. I wish.
I will be interesting how Iowa State approaches the bump in CFP money.

Currently each Big12 school gets about $8M annually and that will probably bump to $12-13M when we bump to 12 teams for 2024/2025 seasons. Then starting with 2026 season it could be $22M+. What does ISU do with the $14M increase? Pay down debt. Invest in facilities. Or spread over general operations (aka salaries, travel costs, etc.).

Or maybe schools feel athletes as employees is a foregone conclusion and the money will be needed to pay wages and other benefits.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I will be interesting how Iowa State approaches the bump in CFP money.

Currently each Big12 school gets about $8M annually and that will probably bump to $12-13M when we bump to 12 teams for 2024/2025 seasons. Then starting with 2026 season it could be $22M+. What does ISU do with the $14M increase? Pay down debt. Invest in facilities. Or spread over general operations (aka salaries, travel costs, etc.).

Or maybe schools feel athletes as employees is a foregone conclusion and the money will be needed to pay wages and other benefits.
I could use a new car.

Seriously, that's pretty nice. Is that mostly due to TCU's run last year. And your $22M possible estimate for '26 depends on how many Big 12 teams (just one) getting into the CFP's, and how far do they need to go?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Add in another $2 million when they start selling tall boys at football and basketball games.

No reason why we can't have official ISU beer carts in the tailgate lots.

Go full golf course strategy and have pretty women selling "official" ISU beers. Start tapping into that CyTown coin now.

Maybe bring back the dude from 20 years ago who sold Cy windmills too

Soocity

May 8, 2023
Exit fee is different than shares. OuT had to pay to leave, nothing to do with the TV revenue. They'll still get their share at distribution next year since they are part of the conference through FY 2024.
"Oklahoma and Texas have reached an agreement on a deal to exit the Big 12 one year early and join the SEC in 2024, the conference said Thursday.

"The schools will forfeit a combined $100 million in revenue distribution, the Big 12 said."
The Athletic Feb 9, 2023

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I could use a new car.

Seriously, that's pretty nice. Is that mostly due to TCU's run last year. And your $22M possible estimate for '26 depends on how many Big 12 teams (just one) getting into the CFP's, and how far do they need to go?
The $22M projection is taking the 12 team playoff out to the open market. Media consultants project it could bring in $2B annually. If traditional payout rates continue P5 schools will split 80% & G5 20%.

It wouldn't surprise me if P5 schools push to give G5 a lower payout rate. If it stays same G5 schools playoff share would go from $100M to $400M.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The $22M projection is taking the 12 team playoff out to the open market. Media consultants project it could bring in $2B annually. If traditional payout rates continue P5 schools will split 80% & G5 20%.

It wouldn't surprise me if P5 schools push to give G5 a lower payout rate. If it stays same G5 schools playoff share would go from $100M to $400M.
Good to know. I didn't know that. So the future CFP would split revenue evenly among all P5 schools (leaving G5 out for now, to help me understand), even if those P5 schools were not in the playoff?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Good to know. I didn't know that. So the future CFP would split revenue evenly among all P5 schools (leaving G5 out for now, to help me understand), even if those P5 schools were not in the playoff?
The P5 could make a play to keep a bigger share. I doubt they would cut them out entirely as long as there is a path for G5 schools to be part of 12 team playoff. But today the G5 schools get around 20% or $100M to split around 65 ways. How would P5 schools feel if 20% was $400M per year?

As far as P5, today each conference receives and equal $ amount- around $80M. So schools in a 10 team Big12 were getting more than schools in a 14 team ACC, SEC and Big10. So go forward, it's equal payment per school in a conference. So no advantage at a school level being in a 10 team conference vs. a 16 team conference.

• Informative
Reactions: nrg4isu and t-noah

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
Uhm, yes we did. Would you rather be Cincinnati or Rice next year?
If we didn't expand, and I think it was close, would you rather be in the mountain west or aac? We stayed together and expanded, we're better for it. A stupid argument, and be more compassionate towards our new members! Without them we would be in the position of the PAC or worse right now.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If we didn't expand, and I think it was close, would you rather be in the mountain west or aac? We stayed together and expanded, we're better for it. A stupid argument, and be more compassionate towards our new members! Without them we would be in the position of the PAC or worse right now.
Expanding and sharing the exit fees are two different things. Both mutually benefited from it. The additions will annually make considerably more money. They were coming anyway for primarily this reason. There’s no reason to share the exit fee money from OUT with them and who cares about compassion or hurting their feelings. Not to say they don’t matter but feelings don’t matter one damn bit in any of this realignment stuff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Expanding and sharing the exit fees are two different things. Both mutually benefited from it. The additions will annually make considerably more money. They were coming anyway for primarily this reason. There’s no reason to share the exit fee money from OUT with them and who cares about compassion or hurting their feelings. Not to say they don’t matter but feelings don’t matter one damn bit in any of this realignment stuff.
They are going to get over 4x what they were getting in the AAC. So starting them at 1/2 rate seems compassionate to me.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
No reason why we can't have official ISU beer carts in the tailgate lots.

Go full golf course strategy and have pretty women selling "official" ISU beers. Start tapping into that CyTown coin now.

Maybe bring back the dude from 20 years ago who sold Cy windmills too
Sell cherry pies in the lots, Family and Consumer Dept. could print money!