Big 12 Announces $440 million distribution to 10 member teams

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I don't mind paying their exit fees as long as they get less if the Big 12 pie for a while. Gotta earn your keep.
Is there much (if any) of a buyout fee for BYU? They're independent in football, and I'd have to imagine their WCC buyout fee is low. Just wondering. I can see the AAC schools having substantial buyouts.

BYU was a great addition in terms of fan support, national following and some other factors. Cincy and Houston not bad.

UCF.....they are the luckiest out of all of this round of realignment.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Also have to add ~1m per school because of the ESPN+ Tier 3. (even more for OU/TX)

Kinda. Each of the 10 schools don't get equal shares because some of them (not naming name$), don't participate in ESPN+. So dividing the $440m evenly 10 ways isn't entirely accurate. The schools that do participate in ESPN+ get slightly more than 1/10th of that pie.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
"And keep in mind the “remaining” 8 get a large cut of Texas and OU’s $100 million exit fee on top of this."
Exit fee is different than shares. OuT had to pay to leave, nothing to do with the TV revenue. They'll still get their share at distribution next year since they are part of the conference through FY 2024.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
When Pac 12 twitter starts talking
broke-people.gif

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Are we ever told how much long term debt the ISU ath dept has? I’m very curious to know that number

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
When you said rain I thought you were going with golden rain on the Hawkeyes as they came in.

They'll be real confused when it starts raining 'mud' as well. They probably won't even notice the golden shower. It smells too much like their spouse/sister.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Uhm, yes we did. Would you rather be Cincinnati or Rice next year?
The point is those four coming in did have some leverage because we were down to 8 teams. The Big 12 wasn’t going to survive with only 8 teams, and those four aren’t stupid because they knew they were likely on a very short list of teams the Big 12 was even debating about. BYU and Cincinnati were almost always going to be locks for expansion once OU and UT left. And more than likely the American was either taking most of the remaining 8, so all but BYU were in a good place by either getting the remaining Big 12 teams in their current conference OR several of the AAC teams were getting invited to the Big 12 which almost assuredly would include Cincy, Houston and UCF.

We are also trying to actually be a conference who gives a **** about its members instead of just each school looking out for themselves, so helping the four with the exit fee is a good idea.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Does this mean a nice new tennis facility might be coming at some point?

This is just part of the revenue portion of the annual budget. The 2023 proposed budget included $40.5 million in conference and ncaa revenue, so its a little higher. New facilities are funded with donations and debt financing, separate from the annual budget. Aside from Cytown, the next big facility project is the wrestling/t&f addition to the Lied Rec Center.