Big 10 = Inept?

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Big Ten.
The Big Ten won only five games against teams from other BCS conferences. Making that stat worse is that Ohio State's win at 4-9 Washington is the Big Ten's best non-conference win. League teams beat Syracuse (twice), Pittsburgh and Washington State. And Michigan's loss to Appalachian State was one of two losses to I-AA schools (Minnesota lost to North Dakota State). Among other embarrassments: Northwestern ended Duke's 22-game losing streak, and Iowa lost to Iowa State and Western Michigan. At least the Big Ten went 16-3 against the MAC and 4-0 against Notre Dame.

If you want to win, bet against the Big 10 come bowl time.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I agree the Big 10 is down this year and I'd be betting against them if I was a betting man. But that's the way college football works. One year this conference is up and that conference is down, the next year that conference is up and this conference is down. Kind of like how the North was way down the last few seasons, and this year it's strong.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
You are not looking at this right. It obviously means that the Big 10 plays weak teams and doesn't try as hard in non-conference games. This is due to the fact that Big Ten play is so tough they can't waste thier energy on non-conference foes. Every week you play a top team and they just beat up on each other all season long.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
You are not looking at this right. It obviously means that the Big 10 plays weak teams and doesn't try as hard in non-conference games. This is due to the fact that Big Ten play is so tough they can't waste thier energy on non-conference foes. Every week you play a top team and they just beat up on each other all season long.

spycat.jpg

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

I agree. It also means that because the Big Ten is so respected, many of their opponents view their games against Big Ten teams as their "Super Bowls." Also, I find it hard to believe the Big Ten is so woeful if Ohio State is in the national championship game...for the second year in a row. :rolleyes:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They stack their teams to play other Big 10 run offenses and are sorely penalized when they play a real team that can pass.

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
Looks like the Big10 added a 13th week to their schedule, so they can play after Thanksgiving each year, and remain more "active" longer for polls, or bowl practice. Now they just need some kind of conference championship game, which pumps up the winner for BCS (OU) and drops the loser (Mizzou). Otherwise, they still can have a 4 way tie for Big 10 championship - everyone is a winner, everyone gets a "championship" tee shirt.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Looks like the Big10 added a 13th week to their schedule, so they can play after Thanksgiving each year, and remain more "active" longer for polls, or bowl practice. Now they just need some kind of conference championship game, which pumps up the winner for BCS (OU) and drops the loser (Mizzou). Otherwise, they still can have a 4 way tie for Big 10 championship - everyone is a winner, everyone gets a "championship" tee shirt.

It's been stated elsewhere that they cannot have a championship game unless they have 12 teams, so that's probably not going to happen.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Big Ten just needed more football fill time games since their bball non conference does not amount to much.

One i word to describe each of the 11 Big Ten teams - inept, inane, insiduous, inedible, indescript, innocuous, irksome, irrespecticve, impugned, illlogical, and ignoramous. Did i miss anythng?

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
The Big 10 always reminds me of this kid I knew in school named Aaron. He always had the nicest clothes, shoes, and toys. He always wanted to make sure everyone knew about it. Problem was, at the core he was a total d-bag.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Big Ten just needed more football fill time games since their bball non conference does not amount to much.

One i word to describe each of the 11 Big Ten teams - inept, inane, insiduous, inedible, indescript, innocuous, irksome, irrespecticve, impugned, illlogical, and ignoramous. Did i miss anythng?

incarcerated.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I agree the Big 10 is down this year and I'd be betting against them if I was a betting man. But that's the way college football works. One year this conference is up and that conference is down, the next year that conference is up and this conference is down. Kind of like how the North was way down the last few seasons, and this year it's strong.

The North was stronger this year but still weaker than the South.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006

You forgot one:

In (as 'in championship game').

It's true. I didn't make this one up.