Better Call Saul

Oldcr

Sep 11, 2015
Hated it...a budy of mine came over to watch and he hated it. It just makes no sense that Saul would give up his whole life 7 vs 86 years for what...to smoke cigs with Kim? I get that wanted to redeem Jimmy at the end but it just made no sense, we've watched Saul for a decade be obsessive about getting the best deal, weasling out of things. Its just a character 180 that does not make sense. Saul would not of done that.
I agree that Saul wouldn't have done that, but Jimmy would have and Jimmy did. In my opinion, he left Saul in the court room and moved on with life.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Hated it...a budy of mine came over to watch and he hated it. It just makes no sense that Saul would give up his whole life 7 vs 86 years for what...to smoke cigs with Kim? I get that wanted to redeem Jimmy at the end but it just made no sense, we've watched Saul for a decade be obsessive about getting the best deal, weasling out of things. Its just a character 180 that does not make sense. Saul would not of done that.

Once he found out Kim was involved and had confessed to what happened that is what finally changed things for him. He was absolutely going to take the best deal for himself before that. And he was Saul initially in the courtroom and then made sure to say he was Jimmy McGill at the end.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I agree that Saul wouldn't have done that, but Jimmy would have and Jimmy did. In my opinion, he left Saul in the court room and moved on with life.
we saw Jimmy pay for the groceries his brother needed ... and the Jimmy that helped Kim out. All the while seeing Saul work over career lawyers at nearly every Federal level.

Saul Goodman died... but his memory (by others) keeps Jimmy safe in prison.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Bingo.

The second he informed the court that he was going by James McGill, Saul Goodman died. James McGill and Saul Goodman were not the same person - that was one of the main cruxes of the show.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Bingo.

The second he informed the court that he was going by James McGill, Saul Goodman died. James McGill and Saul Goodman were not the same person - that was one of the main cruxes of the show.

I think this is mostly right, but it's more complicated than this. The two moments of color in the present-day timeline are when Jimmy sees the Better Call Saul commercial (reflected in his glasses) and when he can share a cigarette with Kim. Both of these, I think, are his yearning for the good old days: when he was in his heyday as Saul, and when he was with Kim.

I don't think that he wants Saul to die - after all, we hear him called "Saul" by another inmate in the kitchen in the last scene before he meets Kim in prison. I do think that he wants the "Slippin' Jimmy," Walter White co-conspirator side of him to die. It was that side of him that got the feds down to a 7.5 year sentence in his plea agreement, but learning that Kim was confessing snapped him out of that and made him understand that he wanted to come clean, be honest, and just be himself. Whether himself is "Jimmy" or "Saul" doesn't matter.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
At the end of the day you have to believe that a guy that went from slippin Jimmy to working for the Cartel to Walter White suddenly throws away a 7 year deal for 86 because he didn't want Kim to get sued? Its in no way believable. I won't argue its one way to end the story but the story should have ended in a believable way that made sense to who the characters were, not to what the writers wanted to "say" about Jimmy.

And as much as I enjoyed the last season they were a bit up their own ass with the black and white and time changes. Just tell the story of Saul/Jimmy and the cartel, that would have been great.

AND with the timeline Saul would have been out by now (2022), that would have felt good. Maybe I cheer for the bad guys to much, but I would have loved to see him out of prison in current day.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
At the end of the day you have to believe that a guy that went from slippin Jimmy to working for the Cartel to Walter White suddenly throws away a 7 year deal for 86 because he didn't want Kim to get sued? Its in no way believable. I won't argue its one way to end the story but the story should have ended in a believable way that made sense to who the characters were, not to what the writers wanted to "say" about Jimmy.

And as much as I enjoyed the last season they were a bit up their own ass with the black and white and time changes. Just tell the story of Saul/Jimmy and the cartel, that would have been great.

AND with the timeline Saul would have been out by now (2022), that would have felt good. Maybe I cheer for the bad guys to much, but I would have loved to see him out of prison in current day.

I think it's so much bigger and deeper than this.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I wasn’t sure at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Was that scene where they shared a cigarette in the jail a call back to a scene early on in the series? Something about it seemed really familiar but I haven’t had a chance to look into it.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I wasn’t sure at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Was that scene where they shared a cigarette in the jail a call back to a scene early on in the series? Something about it seemed really familiar but I haven’t had a chance to look into it.
Back when Jimmy was working at HHM in the mailroom and Kim was a newly minted attorney. Both were viewed poorly by Howard.

• Informative
Reactions: Pitt_Clone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Said Odenkirk: “People who are dialed into the show like I am will feel the same way I did when I first read it. There’s a degree of self-awareness this character gains that I always knew he was capable of. It was almost frustrating for me that he hadn’t shown it. But in the final episode, he surrenders to the self-awareness he’s always had. It’s pretty cool and very satisfying to me.”

Gould and Vince Gilligan, the forces behind “Breaking Bad” and “Better Call Saul,” have indicated that they have no plans to develop another series inside the “Breaking Bad” universe, which also includes the Netflix film “El Camino,” focused on Aaron Paul’s Jesse Pinkman. But Odenkirk said he sees an opportunity for another series, this one focused on Wexler.

“The mystery of Jimmy and who Saul is is answered very well in the first three seasons, but the real mystery is, ‘Who’s Kim?’ I still don’t know. She’s a person with a stronger sense of herself and a stronger mettle than Jimmy. She has a greater desire to be good, but there’s something wrong with her. We don’t know what that is.”

Reactions: Cyclone06

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I thought it was great. Jimmy traded his prison in Omaha for a real one that is more free in the essentials. Long live Jimmy McGill.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
You had to think pretty hard to really follow all the slow paced subtleties of this series - very cerebral. I don't usually enjoy working that hard when I'm watching TV because I'm usually just trying to escape the every day chaos.

But I got sucked into this amazing series big time and I'm really going to miss not being able to visit the BCS/BB universe any longer.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I rewatched the second half of that final episode and realized how much I loved the writing and development of Saul's "awakening". I really don't see any other way they could have gone with it that wouldn't have cheapened it for the audience.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Was surprised we didn't see as much on the cartel side of things but I suppose the story is about Saul and starts/ends there.

The cartel was wiped out by Gus and later by Walt and Hector long before the timeline of this final episode. Whoever picked up the pieces doesn't matter story-wise.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Jimmy is the first character in the BrB universe to actually get what he deserves as the result of his own actions. It is pretty cool it was written as such that it required him to realize it about himself in order for it to happen, right as he was about to skate. It was more legitimate in my mind than Walter White's redemption in the final episode of Breaking Bad.

I thought it was a great ending to a great show.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I need to rewatch BB, but as a whole I liked BCS a tad better.

Still felt bad for Howard Hamlin the whole time lol.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Jimmy is the first character in the BrB universe to actually get what he deserves as the result of his own actions. It is pretty cool it was written as such that it required him to realize it about himself in order for it to happen, right as he was about to skate. It was more legitimate in my mind than Walter White's redemption in the final episode of Breaking Bad.

I thought it was a great ending to a great show.

Did Walt get a "redemption"? His story is different because his time was at an end due to cancer. So he was able to kill the Nazis and threaten the Gray Matter couple to get his money to his children, and then he saved Jesse. But he was irredeemable by that point.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Back when Jimmy was working at HHM in the mailroom and Kim was a newly minted attorney. Both were viewed poorly by Howard.

I know that Howard always gave Kim a hard time but I thought he was always a fan of Jimmy and said as much in at least one episode. He just had to do Chuck's dirty work to keep Jimmy out of HHM I thought.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Jimmy was arrested with the business card for the vacuum salesman and some bogus dust filter model written in the back of it. Curious how that police interview went.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron