Best Iowa State point guard

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
The thing about Tinsley, he was a savant with the ball, he did things that only Jason Williams could do, he was a show all to himself, so yeah, from a team perspective, I would rank him way below Monte and Tyrese, but from a pure skill perspective, he was a freak with no equal.
His handling was elite but was it better than Morris or Haliburton? I am not sure. Tinsley wowed the crowed with razzle-dazzle against inferior opponents but also turned it over much more frequently than Morris and Haliburton.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Here's a list in no particular order.

Haliburton
Tinsley
Morris
Kane
Hornacek
Blaylock
Garrett
Willoughby

Might have missed some. Pretty heady space. Lipsey might end up there but to say he's cracks this list at all at this point of his career I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. He does have the potential to be there though. Not at this time, and I'm a huge Tamin fan.
Jacy Holloway

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The thing about Tinsley, he was a savant with the ball, he did things that only Jason Williams could do, he was a show all to himself, so yeah, from a team perspective, I would rank him way below Monte and Tyrese, but from a pure skill perspective, he was a freak with no equal.

Watch Tyrese lately. He had a pass to himself off the backboard last week that was nuts, different style than tinsley but most talented point guard skills since Nash or Magic imho.

Reactions: Peter

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Watch Tyrese lately. He had a pass to himself off the backboard last week that was nuts, different style than tinsley but most talented point guard skills since Nash or Magic imho.
I firmly believe that if Haliburton wanted to do flashy plays that Tinsley did to inferior opponents, he could have done it too. He just chose not to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
Jacy Holloway was the point guard during his years. Holloway was a floor general. Not flashy and didn’t score much but did everything right
This feels like "unfair" comparisons.
Not a knock on op, rather apples vs oranges.
Each and everyone mentioned, entirely/mostly different, across the board. Personally...something about MM stands out, ISU-WISE, next level achievements aside.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This feels like "unfair" comparisons.
Not a knock on op, rather apples vs oranges.
Each and everyone mentioned, entirely/mostly different, across the board. Personally...something about MM stands out, ISU-WISE, next level achievements aside.

Monte played hard as hell and was all time big 12 minutes played leader when he left. I think he’s in discussion for that alone. He is absolutely everywhere in big 12 advanced stat records.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Still not the same as what Tinsley had, I can't describe it, but if you went to basketball games back then, you could see it, you could tell he slept with a ball, ate with it, did everything with it because it was like a part of his body.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
His handling was elite but was it better than Morris or Haliburton? I am not sure. Tinsley wowed the crowed with razzle-dazzle against inferior opponents but also turned it over much more frequently than Morris and Haliburton.
He was undefeated in Hilton and won back to back Big XII regular season championships. I'm not sure anyone will ever match that.

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
Maybe the "better" question.
Which of the above, would you "draft pick," today, for Big 12 ISU purposes/title, given TG coaching today?
I'd take MM over TL in a heartbeat (ouch). MM vs TH (pre-pro)...pretty sure, for our here and now purposes, MM.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Still not the same as what Tinsley had, I can't describe it, but if you went to basketball games back then, you could see it, you could tell he slept with a ball, ate with it, did everything with it because it was like a part of his body.

I went to every home Tinsley home game. He'll probably always be my favorite player, but I can't ignore Monte's massive production. I really couldn't chose between them.

I think we had three that were that good, just different styles and one left before he could max out in college. Haliburton is the best point guard in the world. It's not like Purdy where there are all these MVP caliber qbs and he's in the debate with them, he's pretty clearly the best pure point guard in the game if he can stay healthy.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
One of the most unselfish players ever...maybe not the best, statistically, but a true asset in the day.

jacy Holloway.jpg

A lightly recruited guard out of McPherson, Kansas, Jacy Holloway (1994-97) arrived at Iowa State in the fall of 1993 with minimal fanfare. That would all change over the course of the next four seasons as Holloway became one of Iowa State's most beloved players. Holloway, who made 98 career starts, helped the Cyclones to three consecutive NCAA Tournament berths from 1995-97 and left Iowa State ranked as the school's record holder for assist-to-turnover ratio (he's currently second behind Monte Morris) and in the top five with 592 career assists. [CyCast: Jacy Holloway]

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Stinson was pretty good, not all time great or anything but consideration for Top 10 at least right?

Considering he left a year early:

8th all time in assists
4th all time in steals

I don't know how you judge these 4 year guys against the shorter term guys. I take Kane all day over Holloway.

Hornacek 1st all time steals, 2nd all time assists.

Last edited: