Best game attended at Hilton?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
never missed a game in my 5 yrs at ISU. Seen all the great home wins, and some tough losses as well. some of my best: 1991- Hoiberg dunk over Acie Earl won 98-84, 1992 - come from behind W over Oklahoma 73-71, Julo late 3pt play, 1992, 84-83 W over OK St: The Hoiberg "the floor was rocking game", Thigpen's unbelievable 2nd half. KU "Big Monday" W in 1993. Last one is 99-65 W vs Minnesota in 1992. Very bad snowstorm, but the place was damn near as loud as a soldout Hilton. Wow. I miss those days.

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
I went to 4.5 years of games at ISU and this is an easy one for me. I know it's already been mentioned a couple times on here, but it's gotta be when we upset #11 Texas on Boddicker's missed FTs in the 03'-04' season. Whether it was the loudest ever at Hilton I won't stake claim to, but I was the loudest I've ever heard it.

To set the stage for those of you who aren't familiar with it, Boddicker was an 81% FT shooter (and usually a clutch shooter at that) and was shooting two FTs with ISU up by one. I was in the student section behind the hoop and EVERYONE in the coliseum was screaming. Bollicker missed both FTs and the court was thoroughly stormed.

Here's a synopsis if you're interested:

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46663&SPID=4252&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=834156

That's my best moment ever.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I went to 4.5 years of games at ISU and this is an easy one for me. I know it's already been mentioned a couple times on here, but it's gotta be when we upset #11 Texas on Boddicker's missed FTs in the 03'-04' season. Whether it was the loudest ever at Hilton I won't stake claim to, but I was the loudest I've ever heard it.

To set the stage for those of you who aren't familiar with it, Boddicker was an 81% FT shooter (and usually a clutch shooter at that) and was shooting two FTs with ISU up by one. I was in the student section behind the hoop and EVERYONE in the coliseum was screaming. Bollicker missed both FTs and the court was thoroughly stormed.

Here's a synopsis if you're interested:

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46663&SPID=4252&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=834156

That's my best moment ever.

The AD isnt aware of that moment. He fired the coach.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
all of you guys are just jelous of how loud hilton gets now, stop reliving the past "old timers"!

signed,

Cyclone Alley honks

:biglaugh: - that's a funny one sonny

3. LaFester
2. Oklahoma State vs Big Country (been going to ISU games since Johnny's first year and this is the loudest ever when Alexander was shooting FTs at the end - The Mayor said the court was shaking)
1. Missouri - Stevens drives the length of the court and hits the jumper. That was the start of Hilton Magic

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
late 80s vs. OU. Wayman Tisdale. Billy Tubbs flipped off the crowd. At halftime, Iowa State University of "Science and Technology" "cloned" Cy. That was the birth of "Clone", the scraggly guy we now call Cy. (you might recall that Cy used to be the tall regal looking bird.)

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
attended ISU from 98-02, the 99-00 and 00-01 seasons there were too many games to pick just one. I remember standing out in the cold at 7am for a 3pm game against KU just so we could get lower level seating in the student section. at 7am the line was already all the way down the stairs of the north door of Hilton so who knows how long those kids had been there before we got there!

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
My personal favorite has to be the 1994-95 home game against KU. To set the stage, KU came in led by Jacques Vaughan ranked #3 in the nation, with Iowa State ranked #23 in Tim Floyd's first year. The Cyclones went down early.

In the second half, Fred Hoiberg scored

straight

for ISU.

No crazy dunks or highlights among them, but this is easily the best 'clutch' performance I've ever witnessed in person. At one point, near the end of Freddy's 17 point run and right after he hit yet another shot, he motioned to the crowd to 'get up' with his arms as he ran back on defense. Hoiberg was always quiet, modest, never reacted to a big play by beating his chest, etc... so when the crowd saw this out-of-character response and knew what that meant, coming from this hometown star playing at home against KU for the last time in his career, let's just say the place went nuts. I was 10 at the time, and it sounds strange to say this, but that moment will be seared into my memory forever.

ISU scored the last 10 points of that game to overcome a 6-point deficit in the last 3 minutes and won 69-65.

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
I was at the Okie State game and the KU game with Manning. However, the LaFester game will always be my favorite Hilton memory.

Dec 28, 2009
Ames, IA
what an incredibly short-sided perspective ... you realize that you'll be 'old' in 10-15 years and we were all 'young' back then

:no:
the purpose of my comment wasn't to diss on your age, it was to diss on your loudness and cheering at games this year. I'll replace 'old' with 'post-grads' and my statement will still be made. don't take too much offense to it

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Dec 1994 vs. Chicago State - my first game (I was 5). Dad tells me I watched many on TV before this, including some Victor games and the beginnings of Hoiberg and Michalik.

Feb 1999 - Larry's first year vs. Kansas. Last game of the season, and this sealed the deal for me: lifetime Cyclone fan. I just knew we were going to do great things with him as coach.

2000 - In a span of 5 days (?), we beat Texas and Oklahoma State at home to basically wrap up the Big XII. I remember sitting in the SW balcony corner, on the aisle, and jumping up and down, screaming "one more year" for Fizer. Last time I can remember Hilton physically 'shaking,' although there have been other loud games. Also, pretty much every game from fall '99-spring '01 that isn't listed on here. Best years of ISU basketball ON the floor (maybe not the best Hilton crowds, but 2 straight conference titles?).

2004 - Virginia.

Same season, 2005, vs. Texas Tech - 5 wins in a row in the conference, we honored the Stevens/Hornacek/Orr team from '84-'85. The momentum was really building for the team after a terrible conference start (this is the sort of thing that this team really needs to happen this year, since the talent isn't the best in the conference in a very good league).

2005, vs. Iowa - Haluska returns home. Totally sweet.

2008, vs. Nebraska - We scored 11 points in the first half. Truly. Don't know if people remember that one too well...and it was the whole 100 years of ISU basketball day. Came out and outscored them like 50-25 in the second half and won. Maybe the best game atmosphere of the McDermott era? This year against Houston? It got pretty loud at Hilton...honestly though, there just haven't been many great games in the last 4 years; we've pretty much lost all of the ones with good atmosphere (last year vs. Kansas, Oklahoma; this year vs. Texas).

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Don't remember the year, but Okie State came to town as the number 2 ranked team in the country. Clones down 18 at half. Justus Thigpen got so hot in the second half.....crowd was crazy. Clones won in OT.

Win over Scott Skiles led Michigan State team was another very good one. If I recall correctly, Clones won by 2.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
The Okie St. game back in the early 90s. I sat in the upper deck for the first half and came down below to sit with my dad for the last few minutes of the game. I was about 10-11 years old and this was the loudest I have ever heard Hilton (I was at many of the 99-00, 00-01 games, no comparison). Watching Alexander shoot free throws and miss them. Simply crazy.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Don't remember the year, but Okie State came to town as the number 2 ranked team in the country. Clones down 18 at half. Justus Thigpen got so hot in the second half.....crowd was crazy. Clones won in OT.

Win over Scott Skiles led Michigan State team was another very good one. If I recall correctly, Clones won by 2.

That was a great one. Skiles was one of those players that you'd love on your team, but hate when you're playing them. I think you're right, 82-80

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
2008, vs. Nebraska - We scored 11 points in the first half. Truly. Don't know if people remember that one too well...and it was the whole 100 years of ISU basketball day. Came out and outscored them like 50-25 in the second half and won. Maybe the best game atmosphere of the McDermott era? This year against Houston? It got pretty loud at Hilton...honestly though, there just haven't been many great games in the last 4 years; we've pretty much lost all of the ones with good atmosphere (last year vs. Kansas, Oklahoma; this year vs. Texas).

This was the first game that I got to sit in the court side seats for. I remember thinking at halftime about how bad our guys looked. It was awful. Then in the second half we lit Nebbie up like a Christmas tree. Everything was falling. The atmosphere was great, and it gets REALLY loud down on the court when Hilton is rocking.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
That was a great one. Skiles was one of those players that you'd love on your team, but hate when you're playing them. I think you're right, 82-80

Good memory. I think you are right. I also believe that Skiles had just gotten busted for pot possession -- needless to say the Cyclone crowd wasn't too kind with that information. Believe every time he touched the ball the crowd chanted "jailbird." Those teams with Grayer, Hornacek and the boys were something else -- when Hilton Magic was probably at its absolute highest. You just didn't come into Hilton and win.

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
I've been to almost every home game and all the big wins over the last 40 years and for sustained noise I'd pick LaFester's Rhoads 53 point game against the squawks when we won something like 103-101. There have been others close but it was scary loud almost the whole second half as the teams sea-sawed back and forth, and LaFester couldn't be stopped.

This game and the 82 or 83 game v Missouri and stipanovich. They were rated and we put it to em