Best Eats in Memphis (so far)

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Big fan of The Commissary. Thanks to whomever on this board that gave it props or I wouldn't have known about it. Particularly loved the ribs and slaw, but it was all good.

I have a friend who lives in Germantown. I wouldn't have known about it w/o her help. I'm sooo glad we made the drive over AND went before the Church crowd got crazy!

Reactions: cycloner29

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
one "NO" vote for the Pizza Inn in Blytheville on Sunday night. Give me a totinos, horrible...

the waitress asked if we were from Texas. we all had clothes on that had "IOWA STATE" on the front...

this is where that stupid ***** ark state campus is, quite the armpit..... ThE only stop I planned was to smear fecal on random campus building........

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
this is where that stupid ***** ark state campus is, quite the armpit..... ThE only stop I planned was to smear fecal on random campus building........

They have an asu campus in Blytheville, but the actual campus is in Jonesboro. Not much difference though, both places are armpits.

Mapdude

Dec 3, 2017
Eat local unless you just like chains...

BBQ - BBQ Shop on Madison
Creole - Dejavu on Main St.
Italian - Ciao Bella on Poplar Ave.
Middle Eastern - Blue Nile on Madison (next to BBQ Shop)
Burger - Farm Burger in Crosstown Concourse
Mexican - Molly's La Casita on Madison
Eclectic - Ecco on Overton Park Ave.
Steak - Folk's Folly on Mendenhall (expensive)

Beale St. is where the tourist go. Overton Square is where the locals go. Madison at Cooper.

Mapdude

Dec 3, 2017
Forgot one.
Elwood's Shack next to Lowes just off Summer Ave. Steelhead Trout Tacos. but heck, order anything. It's all good.
and...
Chinese - Asian Palace at Summer and I-240

Reactions: Teambanzai

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My recommendation is to not be obsessed with BBQ. Yes, they have good BBQ in Memphis but no better than the top places in KC. Places like Rendevous will have hour long waits with 100% cyclone fans. The food that I remember was the breakfast at Brother Junipers, the Chicken and Waffles at Miss Polly's, etc.

Also, have one Yuengling and then say to yourself "why does everyone like this crap beer?".

Reactions: Cycho1 and Mapdude

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Excellent thread resurrection!

I see when you go to the ISU ticket site you can buy the pre-game buffet - should we do this? Did they have this last time?

OMG!!!! I forgot about trainwreck. NO! Don't do it. It was the biggest cluster **** in history. When the best thing to come out of it was a 55 year old drunk woman dancing on the tables, you know it's bad.

• Funny
Reactions: 2020cy

Mapdude

Dec 3, 2017

I see when you go to the ISU ticket site you can buy the pre-game buffet - should we do this? Did they have this last time?
You can do that if you desire, but I would tell you just walk around Tiger Lane and mingle. Someone will put a beverage and something good to eat in your hand. We love our visitors.

Reactions: TigerFan17

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
With our tailgating tradition and you guys being at your home stadium, it seems ridiculous to do anything other than hang out in the tailgate lots. You guys sound like you will be fantastic to be with.

TigerFan17

Dec 5, 2017

Beale St. is where the tourist go. Overton Square is where the locals go. Madison at Cooper.
Agree with all of this, but Beale will be full of tourists, but it can be fun, and the live music is really good.

TigerFan17

Dec 5, 2017
With our tailgating tradition and you guys being at your home stadium, it seems ridiculous to do anything other than hang out in the tailgate lots. You guys sound like you will be fantastic to be with.

I agree with this wholeheartedly for game day, but if you're in town for an extended stay, I recommend trying some of our local food. Memphis knows how to do some good food, of all kinds.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I started on page 1 and was super confused until I saw it was an old thread. I was thinking dear god people must be excited if they are in Memphis already!

• Funny
Reactions: hlb76 and Cycsk

Teambanzai

Dec 3, 2017

Pretty good list, I would add
BBQ - Paynes BBQ on Lamar - it's a dive put man is it good (it was the BBQ place featured on "This is Us"
Creole - Mardis Gras Memphis - in Midtown on Watkins
Italian - True old school Memphis is Pete & Sam's, been open forever. The owner is the Sam from Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs with the hit "Wooly Bully".
Middle Eastern - Casablanca, several locations
Burger - LBOE just off Overton Square

• Agree

Mapdude

Dec 3, 2017

The Liberty Bowl may be 52 years old but it is a great place to watch a game. Not a bad seat in the house. The city did a magnificent job with Tiger Lane.
It may be our "home" stadium, but with the way you guys travel, for one day it will be both of our's stadium. Just don't be to rough on us. Should be an entertaining game, regardless of the outcome.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My recommendation is to not be obsessed with BBQ. Yes, they have good BBQ in Memphis but no better than the top places in KC. Places like Rendevous will have hour long waits with 100% cyclone fans. The food that I remember was the breakfast at Brother Junipers, the Chicken and Waffles at Miss Polly's, etc.

Also, have one Yuengling and then say to yourself "why does everyone like this crap beer?".

Yuengling is raved about because it's priced the same as AB products, but significantly better than those.

It isn't great, but it's a lot better than its competition.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

TigerFan17

Dec 5, 2017
Yuengling is raved about because it's priced the same as AB products, but significantly better than those.

It isn't great, but it's a lot better than its competition.

Since y'all were here last, Memphis has also had a couple of amazing microbreweries pop up. If you get a chance to try one of Wiseacre's brews, do it. Take a chance and try the Gotta Get Up to Get Down - if you like coffee.
Check out there story and varieties here: https://wiseacrebrew.com/

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
Pretty good list, I would add
BBQ - Paynes BBQ on Lamar - it's a dive put man is it good (it was the BBQ place featured on "This is Us"
Creole - Mardis Gras Memphis - in Midtown on Watkins
Italian - True old school Memphis is Pete & Sam's, been open forever. The owner is the Sam from Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs with the hit "Wooly Bully".
Middle Eastern - Casablanca, several locations
Burger - LBOE just off Overton Square

Stopped at Paynes bbq a few months ago. Just as you said. The mustard slaw was a unexpected compliment to the pork.

Reactions: Teambanzai

TigerAF

Dec 3, 2017
201 Poplar
csnbbs.com
For burgers, try Off The Hoof:

If it's a burger you crave, and you ain't afraid to drive 30 mins, try Memphis' 1st burger joint to receive 5 stars by the BestMemphisBurger™ (http://www.bestmemphisburger.com/2013/03/06/off-the-hoof-burgers-the-first-5-star-burger/), top 30 nationally by Eater (https://www.eater.com/maps/the-38-essential-burgers-across-the-country/off-the-hoof-burgers).

Off the Hoof Burgers has a burger lovers menu straight from heaven with something for everyone. They feature a regular seasoned patty available in 4, 6, 8, 12, and 16 ounce sizes. There’s a Salmon Burger, an Elk burger, an Ostrich burger, a Turkey Burger, a Buffalo burger, a Country Fried burger, a Bologna burger, a Kobe beef burger and a Black Angus burger. Additionally, there are several specialty burgers including Off the Hoof’s own version of a stuffed Jucy Lucy, with cheese melted between two 4 ounce patties. They also offer big burgers weighing in anywhere from one to four pounds and everything in between.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron