Best Athletic Shoe

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I’ve got some pretty good experience with this and have had pretty much one of every brand that has been talked about it in here. It truly does depend on your foot, level of arch support you need, and how much cushion you prefer. I have very flat feet and am on my feet all day so need quite a bit of arch support. My ranking goes:

On Running: have two pairs of these, Cloudstratus and Cloudflyer. I’ve rotated between these two pair for the last couple months and am a huge fan. A lot of cushion and the two styles I listed have quite a bit of support. They look a little different than a normal shoe but once I tried them on I loved them.

Brooks: I’ve had three pair of Adrenalines and they were my favorite shoe until I tried the On’s. A lot of their styles have what they call guiderails on both sides to keep your foot from pronating or supinating. The Beast is their max support shoe but a little too bulky for me.

Asics: Kayano is their best shoe and I like them but don’t love them. A lot of runners love them so definitely check them out.

Hoka: Most people that get Hoka’s swear by them. For me, it was honestly too much cushion and I didn’t like it. Felt like I was falling off of the shoe and I won’t be getting another pair.

Adidas: The Ultraboost is probably the comfiest shoe I’ve ever worn. They broke down a little too quick for my liking and don’t have hardly any support.

Nike: Nike does have their better support shoes and are obviously the best looking of all these brands. Most dont have a ton of substance to them.

UA: They just don’t fit my feet well at all. Not much else to say about that

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I've been wearing Brooks Ghost for my walks.
This is a pretty great multifunction (walk, run, jog, etc) shoe. Good cushioning and design features at a better price point compared to some of Brooks’s higher end shoes. Also, they hold up well.

Edit: if you want to go up in price a little, I have run for years in Brooks Glycerines. I will say the their Glycerine 17s were disappointing, but the models after that have all been very solid.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I’ve got some pretty good experience with this and have had pretty much one of every brand that has been talked about it in here. It truly does depend on your foot, level of arch support you need, and how much cushion you prefer. I have very flat feet and am on my feet all day so need quite a bit of arch support. My ranking goes:

On Running: have two pairs of these, Cloudstratus and Cloudflyer. I’ve rotated between these two pair for the last couple months and am a huge fan. A lot of cushion and the two styles I listed have quite a bit of support. They look a little different than a normal shoe but once I tried them on I loved them.

Brooks: I’ve had three pair of Adrenalines and they were my favorite shoe until I tried the On’s. A lot of their styles have what they call guiderails on both sides to keep your foot from pronating or supinating. The Beast is their max support shoe but a little too bulky for me.

Asics: Kayano is their best shoe and I like them but don’t love them. A lot of runners love them so definitely check them out.

Hoka: Most people that get Hoka’s swear by them. For me, it was honestly too much cushion and I didn’t like it. Felt like I was falling off of the shoe and I won’t be getting another pair.

Adidas: The Ultraboost is probably the comfiest shoe I’ve ever worn. They broke down a little too quick for my liking and don’t have hardly any support.

Nike: Nike does have their better support shoes and are obviously the best looking of all these brands. Most dont have a ton of substance to them.

UA: They just don’t fit my feet well at all. Not much else to say about that

I'd never heard of On Running until I picked up a pair last year, but I've become a fan. I wasn't sure how they would possibly stay on and comfortable with their slip-on style, but I've been impressed so far.

I've never tried Hoka, but your comment about 'too much cushion' is something I thought about, but felt weird thinking it. I can't remember what brand it was, but I remember picking up a pair of shoes a number of years ago that felt like heaven in the store. However, they made my feet feel like they were sliding all over the place during a run. They were the right size, but I couldn't get them tight enough to stop the feeling like I was gonna roll an ankle with the slightest misstep.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I switched to Hokas when I was battling plantar fasciitis. Take some getting used to, but really helped. Used ASICS before that, which I also liked. Probably never switch from Hokas now. Honestly if you run a lot once you find a shoe that works it's tough to switch. Has to be done slowly. That's how you are most likely to injure yourself. Even going with the same brand I break in new shoes by walking around in them and going on short runs for a while. Something I learned is necessary the hard way.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I switched to Hokas when I was battling plantar fasciitis. Take some getting used to, but really helped. Used ASICS before that, which I also liked. Probably never switch from Hokas now. Honestly if you run a lot once you find a shoe that works it's tough to switch. Has to be done slowly. That's how you are most likely to injure yourself. Even going with the same brand I break in new shoes by walking around in them and going on short runs for a while. Something I learned is necessary the hard way.
My sister probably runs about 100 miles a week. She swears by her Hokas

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you trail run or hike La Sportiva trail running shoes and hiking boots are insanely amazing for anything outdoors. They are expensive but I deal hunt for them year round and can get good deals that way.

It would be a waist to use them on paved surfaces though.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Mizuno wave creation was probably my favorite shoe ever but that was 14 years ago too. Still have them though! Had a cheaper Saucony trail shoe that was outstanding also. Now all I wear is Columbia shoes because my wife works for the company. Not the best but they've gotten better over the years and a lot of people like the Montrails.

Reactions: Cyisone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Do you like strolling the neighborhood in a shoe that is stylish yet extremely comfortable? Do you enjoy being approached by beautiful women? Do you believe that defense wins championships? Well do I have just the shoe for you.

1619731254311.png

Help Support Us

Become a patron