Best Athletic Shoe

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'm in the market for new athletic shoes. I'm not a long distance runner but I occasionally will run a 5k for charity.

Primarily these are shoes will be used to: 1) go for long walks pushing a stroller 2) work out in 3) pedal the bike around the trails of suburbia

I've been buying cheap Nike's from the outlet store but I would like to invest in a better shoe. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Reactions: Clone83

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My last few pairs were Brooks and I've loved them. I recently decided to try Swiss Engineering (On Cloud) and have really enjoyed them as well.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
If you're in the metro, head over to Fitness Sports in Clive. They'll get you in the right shoe.
I recommend going to a running store anyway they will get you in the right shoe for you by watching you walk and looking at the soles of your current shoes to see if you pronate supinate etc- If you are a runner it is a must do.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I recommend going to a running store anyway they will get you in the right shoe for you by watching you walk and looking at the soles of your current shoes to see if you pronate supinate etc- If you are a runner it is a must do. They put me in Asics or Brooks I happened to like the Asics because of narrow foot.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I recommend going to a running store anyway they will get you in the right shoe for you by watching you walk and looking at the soles of your current shoes to see if you pronate supinate etc- If you are a runner it is a must do.

Usually like Asics, Brooks, Nike. Last time I went a couple years ago they got me in a pair of New Balance shoes with a little more cushion. They've been excellent so far (running 5K lengths)

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

I second this. I did it last summer and found out I've been wrong about my shoe size my entire life. The place I went did it for free and the shoes were the same price as other athletic stores. I ended up with a pair of Brooks that have been the best pair of shoes I've owned, think I'm getting close to wearing them out after 600 miles.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm fat so keep that in mind. When I use to run (Was fat then too) I always had good luck with Brooks Beast and New Balance 990's. The NB 990's were also comfortable for non running activities and if you get the gray ones, you'll really be sporting the old man look.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm fat so keep that in mind. When I use to run (Was fat then too) I always had good luck with Brooks Beast and New Balance 990's. The NB 990's were also comfortable for non running activities and if you get the gray ones, you'll really be sporting the old man look.

I always thought it was the white ones with blue trim. I have the NB response 412 v3 trail running ones. Am I considered an oldman?

1619716686671.png

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Won't be for everyone, but my Xero shoes have been my favorite. I do the same type of activities you mention. Running (less than 5 miles), weight lifting, & biking.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I run often. I Iove my Hokas they're like running on pillows. I like them better than asics or brooks.
Fleet feet in des moines is also another great place to get fitted for running shoes.

• Disagree
Reactions: nfrine and mwwbbfan

Help Support Us

Become a patron