Beer of the Week

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I am a huge fan of malted adult beverages and I thought I would gauge interest here on starting a CycloneFanatic Beer of the Week.

Think of it as Oprah's Book Club for Men. This is what I was thinking. Post a beer of the week (one that I can find in central Iowa at a place say like Cyclone Liquors), then field comments and reviews. I thought it would be great to be able to enjoy a beer with the people on Cyclone Fanatic "virtually" then hear opinions.

I was hoping that there would be someway to assign this to it's own forum then have a votable "star rating" to each beer / thread so that people can use this as a reference.

Thoughts?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Re: CycloneFanatic Beer of the Week

I like it and would support it.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

Just riffing off your idea, but it would be cool to have a playoff "bracket" of different beers and crown a champion.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

This doesn't have to be the beer of the week, but I noticed Leinie's has a new wheat called Sunset Wheat. I'm not sure if this is supposed to compete with Sunshine Wheat from New Belgium, which is now being distributed to many of the areas that Leinie's calls home, but from the decription, it sounds very similar with hints of corriander and orange peel flavors. Also the names Sunset and Sunshine are interestingly close. Leinies recommends the addition of an orange wedge as does New Belgium. I haven't tried it yet, but I've seen it on tap at my local Buffalo Wild Wings.

Comments?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Sunset Wheat is not new, I know that it was at least out in summer 2006 if not earlier than that. Very good brew though.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

I'm not a big fan of the Leinie's. If you want a good wheat, wait for Sam Adam's Summer Ale. It'll be out in a few months, and it's delish.

The beer club is a great idea, btw. We should limit membership to those who don't drink bud/miller light exclusively though. :)

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX

I love it, I'll drink beer if it better informs other Cyclones including myself - it's for educational purposes!!!

FYI - Smithwicks!!! (Pronounced Smiddix) An Irish beer, similar in consistency with a Boddington's, and the appearance of an amber - it's a red beer though.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I'm not a big fan of the Leinie's. If you want a good wheat, wait for Sam Adam's Summer Ale. It'll be out in a few months, and it's delish.

The beer club is a great idea, btw. We should limit membership to those who don't drink bud/miller light exclusively though. :)

I'm a big fan of Goose Island's 312 Wheat.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

Sunset Wheat is not new, I know that it was at least out in summer 2006 if not earlier than that. Very good brew though.

I think being CO, I just don't see it very often out here. None of their beers. I know that the big liquor store North of Denver, Daveco (worlds largest liquor store) has Leinie's beers but until I saw Sunset on tap at BWW, I've never heard of it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

You need to have a "Mystery Six" night. Basically, get a few people to bring a sixer of something they've never had. Split 'em up in sort of a 'sampler' fashion so everyone gets a taste of each beer. I've found a few new favorites that way.

Keep a running list so a beer doesn't get repeated. That way, you can go for months without having the same brand/style. We had a pretty eclectic list at one time, and over 90% of it was purchased in the Ames area.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

Can't disagree - 312 and Smithwick's are good too. God I love beer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Budweiser makes a summer brew called Beach Bum. They finally bottled it for the first time last summer but you could find it on tap at some of the bars before that. We toured the brewery in St. Louis in 2006 and tried it at the end of the tour and just loved it. Tried to buy it locally and no one had it so we called their hotline and was told they were not bottling it yet. Then when we did see it this past summer that's about all any of us drank for awhile. It's a lot like Boulevard Wheat but I almost think I like it better.

bum2-781889.jpg

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

I found Beach Bum on tap at a bar once. It's a nice lighter summer beer.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

My fifth year of college my roomate and I decided we were going to try and have as many different kinds of beer as we could. I built a shelf to cover our window in Stanton Heights and we filled that window with different beers. We lived together when we moved to Des Moines and I think we finally got the count up to around 400 bottles/cans before we finally moved out. We definately got to try some great and some terrible beers that way. I remember one particular beer with a hot pepper in it, NASTY!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

haha chille beer - Cyclone fans: DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELF. It hurts!

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597

You need to have a "Mystery Six" night. Basically, get a few people to bring a sixer of something they've never had. Split 'em up in sort of a 'sampler' fashion so everyone gets a taste of each beer. I've found a few new favorites that way.

Keep a running list so a beer doesn't get repeated. That way, you can go for months without having the same brand/style. We had a pretty eclectic list at one time, and over 90% of it was purchased in the Ames area.

I like the idea here. But I need to make some clarification. What I had in mind is there will be a recommended beer of the week. You can go buy it and try it out, post a review and leave some comments. I am not to keen on rambling posts of obscure beers that people have had, or which is better between Blue Moon and Weihenstephaner. Obscure beers can be recommended, but I would prefer to keep the focus on the beer that is in the spotlight. It would take me years to work through the beers at Cyclone Liquors if I tried them one by one, and I would like to rotate between beer styles so that we are really getting variety.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think it's a good idea but because of obvious reasons, I'd prefer to leave the words Cyclone or CycloneFanatic out of it just to keep things on the up-and-up. Maybe just name it Broodwich's Beer of the Week or something like that:wink:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron