NFL: Bears Fans: Do You Want Warner?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The problem is, the Bears do not even come close in WR talent when compared to Arizona. Not to mention, the Bears offensive line simply was not good this year.

Warner would not only have options to throw the ball to, he'd get killed back there.

I agree! The Bears have more than just QB problems. An aging veteran QB that is going to get a HUGE payday just doesn't seem to be a fit for the Bears. That said...I don't know what they should do to be honest? The best way to address a QB problem is by having a horrible season and hope there is a good QB crop in the draft...

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The problem is, the Bears do not even come close in WR talent when compared to Arizona. Not to mention, the Bears offensive line simply was not good this year.

Warner would not only have options to throw the ball to, he'd get killed back there.

I was just going to say this. If Warner did decide to go to the Bears, it would definitely be where he goes to retire. Because after a season there, it's doubtful he'd get picked up by anyone else. I think Warner is a good QB, but he's also got the people around him to make him good. I like Warner, but I can't help but think how I never hear about him unless he's on a Super Bowl Team. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but His best years, he's definitely had some solid team around him. Let's not forget also, this was a 9-7 regular season team. Yeah, they got to the Super Bowl, which is a huge, huge feat, but it's not like he was dominating all season long.

I just don't think the Bears have the kind of team that's going to make Warner Shine. In the end, he'll be no better than Orton with the team they have there now. Then again, I think I could say that about any QB in the league. I think the Bears could be better with a top notch QB, no doubt, but they just don't have a big play receiver that defenses have to worry about play after play.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
No way. The Bears need to stop their current QB trend of either getting a young project or an aging veteran. Spend some money and get someone good.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
No way. The Bears need to stop their current QB trend of either getting a young project or an aging veteran. Spend some money and get someone good.

I understand and agree...but that is easier said than done! Cassell will be on the market...but how good is he? Who else is out there this year?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I understand and agree...but that is easier said than done! Cassell will be on the market...but how good is he? Who else is out there this year?

Cassell will not be on the market...the Pats are too smart for that.

Depending on how Brady recovers, you could see him as early season trade bait - but I'd bet he's a Patriot for the '09 season and then the Pats will move one of their QBs when '10 comes around.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
On the Bears - I think they'd be best served by getting that offensive line fixed and then adding some additional talent on offense. IMO, I don't think Orton is a bad option at QB. He simply has not played on a good offensive team, at all.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Bad move by both parties, but mostly would be ill-advised for Warner.

That's the main reason I don't want him. I would love him in Chicago, but it would hurt his career. He would not do well here, and that is not because of him.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Maclin and Crabtree will be gone by #18. But Heyward-Bey would be a true #1 type WR and then Hester can be the #2 with speed/slot WR and keep developing Bennett as that possession WR with Davis as the reserve. Then you have one of the best emerging TEs coming up in Olson. You address OL in the second round - this draft is deep in OL. Then you start working depth for the D, another RB (Forte can't run the ball 300+ times every year and catch it 70 times and be good for a long, long time), and you still draft a QB somewhere.
I too think Orton can do well on this team if the team is upgraded around him. And I agree that a WR and OL should be the top priorities. But if a Josh Freeman is around in the 3rd round - pull the trigger. He could sit and learn how to be an NFL QB - he has all the measurables and talent in the world, just played on a REALLY bad team - behind Orton. I think this would be my favorite scenario.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
But if a Josh Freeman is around in the 3rd round - pull the trigger.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry, I just can't help it. That would simply be hilarious. And, I would not put such a move past the Bears.

Josh Freeman....HA!

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
You can laugh all you want... he's probably got the strongest arm in the draft and is a solid football player, and very well could be taken by early 2nd round by some team.
He just always had to throw to his first target and not read the D because KSU's OL has been worse the last couple of years more than ISU's.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Cassell will not be on the market...the Pats are too smart for that.

Depending on how Brady recovers, you could see him as early season trade bait - but I'd bet he's a Patriot for the '09 season and then the Pats will move one of their QBs when '10 comes around.

I can't remember the numbers but I thought I read somewhere that if the Pats bring Cassell back they would have a large percentage of their salary cap tied up in two players who play the same position? They might be able to do that...but they would have to sacrifice other parts of their team to do so...

ss

Apr 10, 2006
hazleton
im ok with orton....i feel we need to bone up the d line before we go searching for yet another qb.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
My guess is the Bears will draft a QB this year but it won't be with one of their first 3 picks.

They need to address the O-line and get another quality receiver before they worry about the QB. They did draft Williams with their first pick last year but no one really knows what he can do after getting hurt early last year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would actually see the Bears go after Byron Leftwich, the current Steelers backup. He just turned 29 and has proven that he is fully recovered from previous injuries. He will be one of the best available veteran QB's. I think Chicago would have better luck with him since he has more than 3 years left in the tank. Then, if they want to draft a project QB later in the draft, they have all the time they need to develope them, and they can use their higher picks to address immediate needs at OL and WR.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If the Bears pick up Byron The Windmiller, they have all the project they'll need.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I would actually see the Bears go after Byron Leftwich, the current Steelers backup. He just turned 29 and has proven that he is fully recovered from previous injuries. He will be one of the best available veteran QB's. I think Chicago would have better luck with him since he has more than 3 years left in the tank. Then, if they want to draft a project QB later in the draft, they have all the time they need to develope them, and they can use their higher picks to address immediate needs at OL and WR.

My question is, what do they get in Leftwich they don't already have in Orton? Questions with both guys...so why not bolster other areas and stick with someone they actually know something about?