Beard to Texas

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This overall is a great thing. The pressure at Texas is much greater than Tech, and hopefully this knocks Tech back down a few pegs.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
There is always a chance Texas will be better than us, and with Beard, Tech WAS better than us. By losing Beard we possibly can stay ahead of Tech, and we're always going to struggle with Texas no matter the coach.
Right, Texas always has an extremely high ceiling, which they rarely attain. But the floor is usually much higher as well. Tech with Beard also had a high ceiling high floor, but assuming they don't bring in a new coach with nearly the talent of Beard, they will have much lower floors and ceilings and can be lumped in with K-State and TCU, possibly even OU now, as teams ISU can overtake quickly to climb back to relevance.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You mean the guy that was UNLVs coach for like 15 minutes and then switched to Tech? No one ever saw this coming....
It's his alma mater, and I'm assuming he'll be paid at the minimum the same (Tech was paying him 6+mil). He might be a little slimy, but I don't see this particular move as such. Lubbock was a nice place for him to prove himself as a P6 coach and he knocked it out of the park and now has what is potentially a dream job for him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This is like CMC moving to Texas in football. Likely resetting a long dormant program back to their historical normal range.

This ABSOLUTELY helps TJ with a rebuild
No, this would be like Campbell leaving ISU go to EIU, not only did TT lose their coach, they lost him to their instate rival.

Things like that shake a fan base to its core, and make them question why they are supporting the school. When Gable left ISU for EIU, ISU was one of the big dogs in the sport, no one knew Gable would turn their program around and become a legend.
Beard is a well known commodity, and he didn't leave for the NBA like the mayor but to your hated rival.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Lol Beard is such a sellout. Tech is going to be so butthurt. Cant wait to watch them play twice a year.

I'm marking the Chris Beard saga for the next time a coach complains about transfers. One year at Arkansas Little Rock, 19 days at UNLV, 4 years at Texas Tech and now leaving them to go to a rival school. Good luck ever preaching loyalty.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Honestly player retention was always kind of an issue for Beard. Thing is, he was always able to reload just fine after departures.
Yeah I was talking about the current players for Tech. Likely going to see most of them transfer out.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think TTU probably hires an assistant to keep this ship somewhat afloat, but that's a patch job that will end up putting them back further in the long run.
I want to say they had a guy like this between Tubby and Beard

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Because Texas is usually going to be somewhat competent at worst. While Tech at their worst is 2 free wins.

2? We were lucky to get 1 win the last 6-8 years. If I remember right Hoiberg would always lose on some random Wednesday night down there in front of 2,000 fans them come back and blowout Kansas in Ames.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's his alma mater, and I'm assuming he'll be paid at the minimum the same (Tech was paying him 6+mil). He might be a little slimy, but I don't see this particular move as such. Lubbock was a nice place for him to prove himself as a P6 coach and he knocked it out of the park and now has what is potentially a dream job for him.

This hits a little close to home....

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm marking the Chris Beard saga for the next time a coach complains about transfers. One year at Arkansas Little Rock, 19 days at UNLV, 4 years at Texas Tech and now leaving them to go to a rival school. Good luck ever preaching loyalty.

I get what you're writing in principle, but did Beard specifically ever complain about the transfer issue? If not, it seems unfair to me to use it against him.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I get what you're writing in principle, but did Beard specifically ever complain about the transfer issue? If not, it seems unfair to me to use it against him.

Not as far as I know. I guess it's just a larger complaint about how kids often get criticized for bouncing around schools while coaches come and go as they please.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
No, this would be like Campbell leaving ISU go to EIU, not only did TT lose their coach, they lost him to their instate rival.

Things like that shake a fan base to its core, and make them question why they are supporting the school. When Gable left ISU for EIU, ISU was one of the big dogs in the sport, no one knew Gable would turn their program around and become a legend.
Beard is a well known commodity, and he didn't leave for the NBA like the mayor but to your hated rival.
I see it as more like Campbell going to Ohio State. Not his alma mater, but back to a familiar state where there has always been murmurs of him waiting for an opening. Or even the Cleveland Browns who recycle through coaches quickly. That's his pro team and he has been rumored for NFL jobs as well. I don't see Campbell ever coaching in Texas or somewhere in Iowa besides Ames.