79Fan

Oct 27, 2010
As someone who enjoys your site almost exclusively via my smartphone, I recommend (beg!) that you do whatever you can to make it more readable in that smaller format. The ideal solution would be a mobile-optimized site, but even just using larger and more readable fonts would be a big improvement. Thanks for your great coverage and insights into Iowa State athletics.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I like this idea. I am also an exclusive mobile user. I have to rotate my phone sideways and enlarge the screen with fingers to be able to read. Would be nice to open and read vertically without having to enlarge. I think CF is the best site, aesthetically, out there, but I can read other sites without rotating or adjusting. An update like this would make it about as good as it gets.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Are you on CF Desktop mode?

Scroll down to bottom of a thread forum and you should see a drop down that says CF Desktop. Click it and switch to mobile.

This doesn't work with stories published on CF, but it works with the forums.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They are also launching a new format soon (been coming forever) and they said mobile optimization will be a bug part of that.

79Fan

Oct 27, 2010
Jiub, Thanks for the ideas. I'm mostly interested in the stories and blogs. The forums work great in mobile mode. Here's hoping the main site adopts a more mobile friendly platform!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
CF already is mobile-optimized. You must have clicked the link to display in desktop mode at some point.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
You can't edit posts on mobile. It deletes the post instead.
You can't thumb a post.
You can't rep a post.

Those three things would help a lot with a "friendly" mobile experience.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
While not perfect, I think the mobile version is pretty solid. Absence of being able to "like" and some quirks regarding editing can be a little annoying, but overall, I think the mobile version is certainly serviceable.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
You can't edit posts on mobile. It deletes the post instead.
You can't thumb a post.
You can't rep a post.

Those three things would help a lot with a "friendly" mobile experience.
I just thumbed this post from my iPhone. I must be special

79Fan

Oct 27, 2010
klamath632, isu_phoria, DollaDollaBill ... Congratulations! You are all EXPERTS at using the CF FORUMS. Aside from Is there anyone out there other than Juib & Farnsworth who understands the difference between the FORUMS and the MAIN WEBSITE, where they post stories and blogs, and that the two don't use the same platform?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Are you on CF Desktop mode?

Scroll down to bottom of a thread forum and you should see a drop down that says CF Desktop. Click it and switch to mobile.

This doesn't work with stories published on CF, but it works with the forums.

I like the look and functionality of the desktop version better. So much better that I choose to deal with horizontal viewing and constant adjustments. Obciously not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to not have to resize and view horizontal on my phone, while having the same look and functionality.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
New site is pretty much done. 100 percent mobile optimized. Could probably launch now but we are waiting till after the season as we don't want bugs during the busiest time of the year. Please be patient, and thank you.