Baylor and the bye

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
So IF you were CPR would you spend a ton of time game planning for Baylor, or would you work on other things with just normal 1 week prep for Baylor? My point is would it matter if we schemed and game planned for two weeks on Baylor? I'm not saying lay down and concede to Baylor but would you use the two weeks for them or only a week as if a regular one week prep one week fundamentals??

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
This is half serious and half a joke but I don't think it would matter if we prepped for Baylor two weeks in advance or 2 days in advance. They are too good. :twitcy:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I would take a week to work on getting the offense to score 35 or more points from here on out. That in itself will help with Baylor. Then do the normal one week prep with Baylor. Stay consistent with the prep.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
That is kind of a dilemma. Say perhaps with no "team specific" planning, Baylor wins 65-14. But, with that planning Baylor "only" wins 38-14. Is there benefit to the team to minimizing a crushing loss?

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Were gonna have to play similarly to the way we played Iowa in the fourth quarter offensively today. Very time consuming, clock management. Need to slow it down while maintaining possession. Gonna be hard, like, really hard. They will score points and we will have to answer.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
That is kind of a dilemma. Say perhaps with no "team specific" planning, Baylor wins 65-14. But, with that planning Baylor "only" wins 38-14. Is there benefit to the team to minimizing a crushing loss?

Oddly, I don't think so. We've had some gigantic losses in the Rhoads era only to come back and win the next week. Also, I've heard that spirits have been really high the past 2 weeks in practice (coming off back to back losses) so not much can phase their confidence, especially since we got the much needed win today.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If it were easy, it wouldn't be necessary to practice it for a week as I said.

I love the attitude (honestly) but if you really think the coaches could say "We're gonna do the thing this week that will mean we score 35+ every game from here on out," then every coach would have done that thing Week 1 of practice.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I love the attitude (honestly) but if you really think the coaches could say "We're gonna do the thing this week that will mean we score 35+ every game from here on out," then every coach would have done that thing Week 1 of practice.

That is not what I am saying at all. Im saying review the offense in the first 3 games, and figure out what changes can be made to make the offense score more. Put in some new plays, change up some cadences, etc. There are changes that can be made when you have an extra week in between games, and looking at the stretch ahead of ISU, there is not a better time. If ISU cant figure out a way to score in the 30's, they will struggle to win more than 3 or 4 games this season.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
That is not what I am saying at all. Im saying review the offense in the first 3 games, and figure out what changes can be made to make the offense score more. Put in some new plays, change up some cadences, etc. There are changes that can be made when you have an extra week in between games, and looking at the stretch ahead of ISU, there is not a better time. If ISU cant figure out a way to score in the 30's, they will struggle to win more than 3 or 4 games this season.

I watched the whole Baylor-Buffalo game, and watched a weak Bulls team gain 400 yards and put up 21 points (should have been 28) on the board. Baylor is susceptible in the secondary. LBs weren't impressive either. I think we can hang 35 on the Bears. Just not sure what we can hold them to, tho.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX

I agree with this. Take the time to fix any glaring issues, GET HEALTHY, and then prep for Baylor for a week. The defense will need to shift gears a little bit as the rest of our opponents will certainly spread us out more, I expect the coaches to start prepping us for not only Baylor, but the rest of the BXII in the first week. The great thing is there are several positives to take away from today, and with a win the players are hopefully buying more into what the coaches are selling. I do like the consistent improvement.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Baylor has been awesome at times. but they don't have a national championship under their belt, even under RG3, there's a reason why, gimick. Figure it out, you can beat them.

At the same time, we beat a mediocre bit 10 team, no big deal. We aren't the team to solve the baylor puzzle.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Baylor has been awesome at times. but they don't have a national championship under their belt, even under RG3, there's a reason why, gimick. Figure it out, you can beat them.

At the same time, we beat a mediocre bit 10 team, no big deal. We aren't the team to solve the baylor puzzle.

Wow, there is a lot of fail here. It even takes great teams a little bit of luck to be included in national championship talk. Their offense isn't a "gimmick," it's effective. Their defense hasn't been good enough consistently, they haven't caught some of the breaks they needed, and they are still battling their own history of bad football. It's not as though there is some secret to beating Baylor, unless you count being pretty good and a little lucky when it counts as a "secret."

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
You say it like it's that easy

We could easily do that if we could hold onto the ball and not drop passes. I say have a solid week of improving as a team on the basics, and then go to normal 1 week prep (like others have said).

I don't think we get Baylor either way, so let's get this team improving like they have been in preparations of a long, and hopefully exciting season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron