BarnTown Sticky Juice

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Did anyone try the Confluence Extinction Event New England Style IPA??

I'm not big on IPAs and wondering how this one compares to Sticky Juice. I have only found a few I like.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I'm not big on IPAs and wondering how this one compares to Sticky Juice. I have only found a few I like.

It was very solid. Not the best one I've had, but definitely a tasty beer that I'd drink again.

Basically like everything Confluence does.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I had the Extinction Event-Citra and Huell Melon. OK beer but not in the same ballpark

Reactions: bellzisu

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
FWIW, I found that the second Extinction Event with Columbus, Galaxy, and Mosaic was better than the Citra and Huell Melon version.

Totally agree. The second in the series is much better than the first was.

As far as sticky goes it’s definitly one of the best neipa’s you will find in central Iowa. Picked up 6 bottles Saturday.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Totally agree. Nearly every time I've had a beer that is supposed to be legendary, I've come away a little disappointed. They have always been great beers but you can get locals that are just as good. I've had beers like Heady Topper/Focal Banger, Pliny the Elder, Zombie Dust, Hill Farmstead stuff, Maine Beer Co. stuff, Other Half stuff, etc. Although most of the big legendary stouts I've had have lived up to the hype.

I think I've had every beer/brewery you mentioned and I agree completely. They're always excellent, but I've almost never found something there that obviously exceeds our local options (at this point in time).

I agree with you guys on most of those being slightly overhyped, but saying anything in Iowa other than TG, Pulpit and at times Barn Town can hold a candle to Hill Farmstead/OH hazy Ipa's is a bit much.

Have you guys tried any hazies from the WC? If you haven't you need to. Monkish will change your life. You will start dreaming of it...trust me.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I really want to try this. I had Chowdah last year and was really impressed.

Maybe I need to take a long lunch/early supper this week . . .

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It was very solid. Not the best one I've had, but definitely a tasty beer that I'd drink again.

Basically like everything Confluence does.

THIS. It's a good beer. I'd drink it again, but not a staple in my fridge.

I wish I could find an outstanding NEIPA at HyVee regularly . . .

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree with you guys on most of those being slightly overhyped, but saying anything in Iowa other than TG, Pulpit and at times Barn Town can hold a candle to Hill Farmstead/OH hazy Ipa's is a bit much.

Have you guys tried any hazies from the WC? If you haven't you need to. Monkish will change your life. You will start dreaming of it...trust me.

I've had some stuff from Monkish. It's really good. Also, I didn't list anything else in Iowa other than TG, PR, and Barntown. I did list Forager in Rochester, MN.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What's funny is even when I was in NYC and thought I would just drink other half and a few of the other big brands, I found myself loving stuff from Kings County, which I had never even heard of.

Reactions: ZJohnson

bclewis05

Feb 6, 2013
I was at Flix over the weekend and tried out their "12 Parsec IPA" and wow was it bad... I love IPA's but this tasted like every first batch of home brew I've tried that friends made in their garage.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I was at Flix over the weekend and tried out their "12 Parsec IPA" and wow was it bad... I love IPA's but this tasted like every first batch of home brew I've tried that friends made in their garage.

It's funny how most of the good breweries can make a bunch of good beers in all different styles and then you have others that can't seem to make one really good beer. I'm not one to talk, all my home brew tasted like ass but at least I admitted it and didn't start a brewery.

wearebadfriends

Jul 7, 2016
THIS. It's a good beer. I'd drink it again, but not a staple in my fridge.

I wish I could find an outstanding NEIPA at HyVee regularly . . .

The Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze from New Belgium is actually pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised by Sam Adam's New England IPA. They're both a step below what Barn Town is currently offering but they're not bad.

I'm also a big fan of Barn Town's Pulp Non-Fiction.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze from New Belgium is actually pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised by Sam Adam's New England IPA. They're both a step below what Barn Town is currently offering but they're not bad.

I'm also a big fan of Barn Town's Pulp Non-Fiction.

Same. I totally expected it to suck, but it didn't.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I've had some stuff from Monkish. It's really good. Also, I didn't list anything else in Iowa other than TG, PR, and Barntown. I did list Forager in Rochester, MN.

Heard great things about Forager. I believe I a "Gummies Make Us Likable" in the box that's in route from my guy in MSP.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Heard great things about Forager. I believe I a "Gummies Make Us Likable" in the box that's in route from my guy in MSP.

Enjoy. They make great beer, but it is absurdly expensive. I like to stop when I'm in Rochester, but $10 for a glass is pretty common, so I rarely have more than one. It gets hard to justify when Pulpit Rock is slinging pints of Saftig for $4 or TG is charging $5 for Fire Skulls Money.

Reactions: ZJohnson

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I’m really looking forward to later this year when TG starts cranking out cans of King Sue and FS&M. Would love to see those become regulars on Hy Vee shelves.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I’m really looking forward to later this year when TG starts cranking out cans of King Sue and FS&M. Would love to see those become regulars on Hy Vee shelves.

I've heard about KS in cans, but havn't heard about FS&M. Curious where you saw that??

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I've heard about KS in cans, but havn't heard about FS&M. Curious where you saw that??

The info came straight from the brewery from a recent trip. Also learned that their old taproom will be reopened under the name TG2.