Barnes Question

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Has he said he will not take an official visit to Iowa State? There is a new premium article headed that he is working on cutting his list to 5. So I was wondering if we are in his top 5 will he take an official visit or what?

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008
I would say that he doesn't need to waste an official visit where the school pays for everything on Iowa State. He can walk to campus and sleep in his bed in Ames when visiting IsU. If he did use it at ISU, it would be like passing on a free 3 day 2 night vacation to anywhere in the United States that has a college.

armount

Mar 4, 2007
although that is true that he is so close.... i remember hearing something along the lines of there can be more communication between coaches and players so a recruit can get a better feel for the school. Maybe I am just making up things though. Any body know for sure?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
although that is true that he is so close.... i remember hearing something along the lines of there can be more communication between coaches and players so a recruit can get a better feel for the school. Maybe I am just making up things though. Any body know for sure?

You're making things up. :smile:

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines

I'm not sure of the differences between an unoffical and official visit so you might be right that on an official visit coaches, administration, players etc...can have more "access" to the recruit.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

There can probably be more contact during an official visit, I don't think there any reason why he should take an official visit to Iowa State. He can go talk to the school whenever he wants. He can probably talk to the coaches whenever he wants. His mom works for the school, so that probably gives him some inside advantages to talking to academic advisors and such. I can't think of a single thing that he'd gain from an official visit that he hasn't already seen at ISU.

Like someone else said, he'd be giving up a free vacation. It would be stupid, really.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm not sure of the differences between an unoffical and official visit so you might be right that on an official visit coaches, administration, players etc...can have more "access" to the recruit.

I don't think any of that really matters, given how much time he supposedly spends with the team. I don't think there is anything an official visit would present that Harrison hasn't seen already.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Does Harrison making a visit to his mom's office count as an official visit? We may have a few violations on our hands if that is the case.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
You only get 5 official visits, don't you?

I agree with most - to spend one of those on ISU is a waste for HB. What's he going to see, learn, hear.... that he hasn't already? He probably knows more about campus life at ISU than the coaches do anyway. He certainly knows all there is about the program, the facilities, etc. May as well take that trip somewhere else. I suggest the University of Grand Cayman....

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Does Harrison making a visit to his mom's office count as an official visit? We may have a few violations on our hands if that is the case.

Not a problem. If that were the case no kids could visit their parents if they worked for a university. Every kid is recruitable.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
There can probably be more contact during an official visit, I don't think there any reason why he should take an official visit to Iowa State. He can go talk to the school whenever he wants. He can probably talk to the coaches whenever he wants. His mom works for the school, so that probably gives him some inside advantages to talking to academic advisors and such. I can't think of a single thing that he'd gain from an official visit that he hasn't already seen at ISU.

Like someone else said, he'd be giving up a free vacation. It would be stupid, really.

FREE lunch at Hickory Park?? :jimlad:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
UNOFFICIAL VISIT - An unofficial visit to a member institution by a prospective student-athlete is a visit made at the
prospect's own expense. The provision of any expenses or entertainment by the institution or representatives of its athletics
interests shall require the visit to become an official visit, except for the following: (a) The institution may provide
complimentary admissions to an on-campus athletics event in which the institution's intercollegiate athletics team competes, in
accordance with the provisions of Bylaw 13.8.2.1; and (b) The institution may provide transportation to the prospect, when
accompanied by an institutional staff member, to view practice and competition sites and other institutional facilities located
within a 30-mile radius of the institution's campus, but the institution may not provide transportation to attend one of the
institution's home athletics events (on or off campus) during the unofficial visit. Payment of any other transportation expenses,
including providing transportation to attend one of the institution's home athletics events (on or off campus), shall be an
institutional violation

OFFICIAL VISIT An official visit to a member institution by a prospective student-athlete is a visit financed in whole or in
part by the member institution. A prospect on an official visit shall be provided lodging and take meals as regular students
normally do. Local commercial facilities may be used but at a scale comparable to that of normal student life and only within a
30-mile radius of the institution's campus. Lodging may not include special accessories (e.g., jacuzzis, suites) that are not
available generally to all guests residing at the establishment. ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
He does not need to burn one of his official visits to ISU. He works out with his trainer on campus some and also spends a ton of time with the team.

I wonder if he and Doug carpool to work out at Old State if that is a violation?

I can see it now, we get HB but then get the death penalty for recruiting violations because of his close proximity.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
One step further on the "death penalty".

They car pool together in a car provided by Coach Mac to the State Gym. This is assuming Mac bought his son a car to drive to school. :mask:

Those rules can be and are often very goofy, and moreso confusing when family members are involved. When my sister was in high school and being recruited, I was her team's coach for a national USAV tounament. The college coaches could talk to the club coach, but not the players or family members. I had a number of coaches who came to talk to me, but being coach and family were taken aback when they heard the name.

Funny how many didn't know the rules themselves (I sure as hell didn't know them)

I'm sure the HB, GMac and DM relationship issues are much more clearly defined (and hopefully investigated). But there's always reason to be careful.

And let's be honest - it's the NCAA we're talking about. The idea that the rules will inherently make some sort of sense goes right out the window.

Last edited:

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
One step further on the "death penalty".

They car pool together in a car provided by Coach Mac to the State Gym. This is assuming Mac bought his son a car to drive to school. :mask:

While living in Government subsidized housing?? :jimlad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron