Backup QB thoughts

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Neither are “hit panic button” but neither looked ready like Hunter did when he got chances behind Purdy.
How so? Last year against KU and UNLV in similar situation, Dekkers was a combined 4/11 for 50 yards. At OU he threw an INT on his second attempt. His first two series against Iowa he went 2/4 with two three and outs. It wasn’t until Iowa went prevent that he looked okay.

We don’t have a sample on these two. So far they look similar to what we saw from Dekkers when he was getting 2-3 passes a game. The arm talent looks good, but they haven’t been asked to do anything

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How so? Last year against KU and UNLV in similar situation, Dekkers was a combined 4/11 for 50 yards. At OU he threw an INT on his second attempt. His first two series against Iowa he went 2/4 with two three and outs. It wasn’t until Iowa went prevent that he looked okay.

We don’t have a sample on these two. So far they look similar to what we saw from Dekkers when he was getting 2-3 passes a game. The arm talent looks good, but they haven’t been asked to do anything

Maybe my perspective is irrational or off, but I felt good about deckers in those Iowa and OU games.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Only issue I had with either was when Rocco got flushed and became a runner on a 3rd down play, it appeared from the stands that he could have gotten a first down but went out of bounds short of getting it. Maybe it was just my angle.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Only issue I had with either was when Rocco got flushed and became a runner on a 3rd down play, it appeared from the stands that he could have gotten a first down but went out of bounds short of getting it. Maybe it was just my angle.
He did fine by rolling outside to buy some time. If he had not hesitated, he had an open lane for an easy first down. There was a coaching moment when he came off the field that will be reinforced in film study.

Reactions: CyberJJJ

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Maybe my perspective is irrational or off, but I felt good about deckers in those Iowa and OU games.

Dekkers looked okay when allowed to play through his mistakes and get multiple series and passes in a game. As one would expect, In isolated late game reps, he didn’t look sharp. I don’t think we know much at all about the backups.

Running Dekkers to the edge on 3rd and 28 when up 30 is either confidence in the QB room or egregiously bad risk/reward.

On that note, There was a narrative that we changed Purdy or made him less of a wildcard/scrambler type because of needing to keep him healthy. Others say Dekkers looked so good some on the staff were ready for a change.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
McLaughlin is going to be special. He needs another 10-20 lbs but his speed and instincts are top notch.
McLaughlin is the real deal. On one of the kick offs I saw him steamroll some bobcat that attempted to block him. Man vs boy kind of deal. I think it was the opening kick. He also looked really good on defense in the second half.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
He did fine by rolling outside to buy some time. If he had not hesitated, he had an open lane for an easy first down. There was a coaching moment when he came off the field that will be reinforced in film study.
I was instinctively expecting the pump fake on that roll-out.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Rocco is in the same mold as Purdy. He's not very tall, but he's got the legs to extend plays and make plays.

The future will be interesting because Kohl is a legit 6'7" and he can really make the throws, so he'll do all his damage with his arm.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Makes me wonder if Purdy has the same kind of instant impact if he comes in late in a similar situation

Quick question for all Cyclone fans. Is Brock Purdy's debut at OSU the best Cyclone debut of all time ever? If not, who and when?

Genuinely curious.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Makes me wonder if Purdy has the same kind of instant impact if he comes in late in a similar situation

Quick question for all Cyclone fans. Is Brock Purdy's debut at OSU the best Cyclone debut of all time ever? If not, who and when?

Genuinely curious.

I’m sure it is because OSU was good and purdy was an all time great here.

But oddly enough Sam Richardson had a really great debut against Kansas.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Genuinely curious.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think Sam Richardson had a great debut.

Reactions: ScottyP and jsb

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I’m sure it is because OSU was good and purdy was an all time great here.

But oddly enough Sam Richardson had a really great debut against Kansas.

You beat me to it! I must have been typing when you posted yours.

Reactions: jsb