B12 MBB obviously loaded this year ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
With Ku not being favored at #7 in the country coming off a win at Kentucky. It will be a murders' row for the have-nots. Today, I'd power rank them this way:

1. Baylor - win with guards only
2. Ku - missing point and a doke
3. WVU - maturing talent
4. Texas - loads of stars
5. TxT - transfer U
6. oSu - Cade Cunningham
7. TCU, ISU, OU - no clue, you too?
10. K-State - eight newcomers lookin' the part

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I would put Tech ahead of WVU. Should be interesting to see the Texas UNC matchup today and Baylor Illinois

Reactions: surly

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Probably pretty close to what I'd have. I'd swap TX and Tech just because Beard is a better coach and I've been fooled too many times by Texas' talent.

Watching WVU, I they should finish somewhere from 3rd to 5th, but I also think they could be a team that could be on the receiving end of some blowouts.

I wasn't sure what to make of them, but OSU picked up a good win vs Marquette. Cunningham is a stud and they have some decent supporting pieces. They could pull off some upsets along the way.

Tier 1 - Baylor/KU
Tier 2 - WVU, Tech, TX
Tier 3 - OSU, OU, ISU. TCU
Bottom - KSU

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch and surly

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
With Ku not being favored at #7 in the country coming off a win at Kentucky. It will be a murders' row for the have-nots. Today, I'd power rank them this way:

1. Baylor - win with guards only
2. Ku - missing point and a doke
3. WVU - maturing talent
4. Texas - loads of stars
5. TxT - transfer U
6. oSu - Cade Cunningham
7. TCU, ISU, OU - no clue, you too?
10. K-State - eight newcomers lookin' the part
Mark Vital isn't a guard

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
1. Baylor
2. Kansas
3. Texas Tech
4. Texas
5. West Virginia
6. Oklahoma
7. Oklahoma State
8. TCU
T9. Iowa State
T9. Kansas State

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
1. Baylor
2. Kansas
3. Texas Tech
4. Texas
5. West Virginia
6. Oklahoma
7. Oklahoma State
8. TCU
T9. Iowa State
T9. Kansas State
Close to what I'd have it as well.
OSU looked decent against Marquette when I tuned in the other night.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
1. Baylor
2. KU
3. Texas
4. West Virginia
5. Texas Tech
6. Oklahoma
7. Oklahoma State
8.TCU
9. Iowa State
10. Kansas State

Notes:
-The top half of the conference is just stupid loaded.. West Virginia was leading the consensus #1 team with 6 minutes to play last night
-I've got Texas and WVU ahead of Tech for now. Tech is pretty balanced and obviously well-coached but I'm not sold on a them as a top 10 caliber team just yet
-With Cade, it's possible for Oklahoma State to jump Oklahoma imo. He's that good. Freshmen Rondell Walker has had a couple nice games for Boynton
-TCU has a couple decent wins over top 100ish teams and we obviously lost in our shot at a top 100 win last night
-Unreal that Mike McGuirl is the best returning player on a Big 12 team

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm struggling to understand how the taking heads are calling the Big10 the best league. The Big12 is loaded with 1/2 the teams in the top 25 and at least 2 national champion contenders. With Baylor beating Illinois and WVU hanging with Gonzaga, it seems that the Big12 has shown to be the best conference so far.

Reactions: surly

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Whoever Kansas is playing today is such a no-name that ESPN doesn't even have a team page or logo for them lol.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Whoever Kansas is playing today is such a no-name that ESPN doesn't even have a team page or logo for them lol.
I am pretty sure it isn't D1. I think I read they usually play them in preseason every year. They are from somewhere in Kansas.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Baylor- best team in the country

WV- went toe to toe with the 2nd best team in the country
KU- good but not typical KU good, no alpha and not much experience
Texas- looking good but Shaka...so who knows if they can stay consistent, schedule is tough
Tech- Beard will get them in the top 3 by seasons end
Okie St- Good mix of young talent and experienced upperclassmen
OU- brings a lot back, will be better than their record indicated

TCUISU/KSU- a rung or two below the rest of the pack

ISU is at best the 8th or 9th most talented team, you add in the worst coach in the league and I can't see us finishing ahead of anyone. K State and TCU will be similar but are much better coached teams. We don't have enough talent to make up for Prohm's deficiencies as a coach.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think with a healthy Suggs, Baylor and the Zags are 1a and 1b.

I think right now I would have KU and WVU tied. KU is interesting this year because they might go to a really small lineup a lot of the time like they did to come back and beat Kentucky. They could be playing Wilson at the 5. I think though they will look different in a couple months because their stud Freshman is still learning and Grant-Foster who ISU recruited as well from Indian Hills has missed a ton of time with injuries from the sounds of things.
WVU is also interesting. They scored it last night but in their other games they struggled to score because of their guards. I think that is going to be the case a lot for them this season. When their guards are scoring they can beat anyone in the country but when they aren't, they could be picked off some just ok teams.
Texas is good this year because of their experienced guards and they have good defensive minded bigs. This is easily Smart's best team.
Tech will take awhile to reach their potential with lots of new faces.
I think OU and OSU are going to about on the same level.
I think TCU and ISU are on the same level
KSU last. They will struggle this year but if they can keep around some of their young players I can see Weber getting them back to the tournament in a couple years. I think the Pack kid looks good and both the Gordon's have some good potential.

I could see the conference getting as many as 7 teams in this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Unreal that Mike McGuirl is the best returning player on a Big 12 team

Isn't that the truth!!

I watched Texas yesterday and they remain undisciplined, jacking treys from all over the place. That's not championship quality basketball. But I do like Shaka's new dew.

Tickled to see Baylor boat-race Illinois. Baylor/Zags is going to be a hell of a game.

Ku will be good enough to sweep us.

And WVU, I always get a kick out of how Bilas and others describe teams that play tough defense as 'streetball.' But Huggs doesn't have enough offense to win the league.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza