Auriemma on WNBA Eligibility Age

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
ESPN asked UConn women's coach Auriemma what he thought about the WNBA possibly changing the draft age for female athletes.

"Well, it depends whether you want the game to grow or whether you want to kill it. If you want to kill it, then let the kids leave after freshman year. Which is like on the men’s side, it’s become transactional. Okay, everybody’s a free agent. Everybody’s a mercenary. It’s not the kid’s fault,”
Auriemma stated. ‘

With respect to age, while the NBA requires the draftees to be at least 19 years old in the calendar year of the draft and be one year removed from the graduation of his high school class, the WNBA’s age limit is 22. Auriemma mentioned how it is helping the women’s game."

Translation: Yup, let's keep them wimmins in their place, or I won't have a job.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
22 seems high. I don't think this will matter a ton though, the players who would be likely to leave early will be making more money in college than the WNBA. The dynamic between WBB and the WNBA is nothing like MBB/NBA. Its a rare example where the collegiate game is more popular than the pro game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
But yet he's not wrong. The women's game is benefiting from having players that are around for 4 years, which develops brand name players that drive viewership.

Until the pay scale goes up in WNBA though, I don't know that it would matter yet. The amount college players can get in NIL dwarfs wnba pay currently.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
ESPN asked UConn women's coach Auriemma what he thought about the WNBA possibly changing the draft age for female athletes.

"Well, it depends whether you want the game to grow or whether you want to kill it. If you want to kill it, then let the kids leave after freshman year. Which is like on the men’s side, it’s become transactional. Okay, everybody’s a free agent. Everybody’s a mercenary. It’s not the kid’s fault,”
Auriemma stated. ‘

With respect to age, while the NBA requires the draftees to be at least 19 years old in the calendar year of the draft and be one year removed from the graduation of his high school class, the WNBA’s age limit is 22. Auriemma mentioned how it is helping the women’s game."

Translation: Yup, let's keep them wimmins in their place, or I won't have a job.

Almost all of ISU’s entire team transferred last year. How is it not already transactional?

He just wants to be in control of the transaction.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
But yet he's not wrong. The women's game is benefiting from having players that are around for 4 years, which develops brand name players that drive viewership.

Until the pay scale goes up in WNBA though, I don't know that it would matter yet. The amount college players can get in NIL dwarfs wnba pay currently.

Also like six American women college players make a team each year. First rounders don’t all even make a team.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023

Auriemma stated. ‘

I agree with Auriemma. Having women play all 4 years has helped the women's game immensely. You don't get iconic college players when they're one and done like we used to in the men's game. It hasn't "killed" the men's game, but I think it is worse now that all the top talent leaves for the NBA the first chance they get.

Imagine college basketball with Durant, Lebron, etc...playing 4 years.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Players like Clark don't become the sensation they do if they could go to the WNBA after 1 year.

Women's CBB has made such a big leap the past few years, but it's not quite at the point where it can run things exactly how the men do (I think it will get there at some point). They are still in the phase where they are having to build their fanbase.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

What is your favorite WNCAA team and what is your favorite WNBA team? I bet you have one and not the other. This is why the college game is more popular. There is a connection to the tribal rooting interest of your favorite college.

I would also imagine your favorite WNBA team if you have one is typically the WNBA team that employs your favorite college players from your favorite college team.

It’s not a matter of pay scale that holds back the WNBA. It’s that there is nearly zero homegrown fanbase for the WNBA, which is greatly holding back its pay scale.

Reactions: BCClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree with Auriemma. Having women play all 4 years has helped the women's game immensely. You don't get iconic college players when they're one and done like we used to in the men's game. It hasn't "killed" the men's game, but I think it is worse now that all the top talent leaves for the NBA the first chance they get.

I actually think limitless transfers are hurting men’s college hoops 1000x more than underclassman leaving for the nba.

2nd round picks aren’t guaranteed a contract. 1/3 of the first round picks aren’t college players. We’re talking about only 15-20 star players leaving early while we’re heading towards a full 50% d1 players transferring each year.

There is no pro sports league in the world where every player is a one year unrestricted free agent…except college football and basketball. That’s your existential threat.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Auriemma stated. ‘

Your translation is nonsensical. He’s going to have a job no matter what. Cool to go ad hominem though, rather than argue the point he’s correct on. It’s vital to the women’s college game is able to build momentum like they did with Clark and like they will do in the future. They absolutely need stars.

Reactions: Acylum

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tuition alone, even without NIL, is a better deal than taking a long shot at the WNBA. It ain't the NBA where peeps are paid millions. C. Clark will make 75K. Longshot rookies that make a squad will get $62K. Aliyah Boston could have gone WNBA after her junior year and would have gotten draft but elected to finish up at SC. Not like she lost millions like an NBA player would by deciding that. Geno's own Page Bueckers was eligible this year and did not go so I am not sure this is a real concern for the future even if they lowered the eligibility.

Already been pointed out but it's not like many underclassmen would have a chance even for the lowest paying rookie salaries. Not worth gambling away a college degree for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosshm16

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The best scenario to me is the baseball rules. You can go right out of high school. But if you go to college, you’re there for 3 years. Allows the super talented that don’t belong in college a chance to get their money. But it also allows for college to build a brand following before they’re gone.

But, that’ll never happen because it isn’t the college ranks that are pulling the strings. Decisions are made based on what’s best for the professional leagues. If the WNBA thinks it’s better to lower the age for them that’s what they’ll do. They don’t care whether or not it’s better for WCBB.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Before NIL, I would have disagreed with Auriemma, because limiting upward mobility of the players arbitrarily hurts their earning potential just so the college leagues can continue to profit off of known names.

But all of a sudden, Auriemma has stumbled into an argument which probably benefits the players, because now they’re allowed to financially benefit from the popularity of the league.

It still seems silly to arbitrarily limit if players want to try to go pro, though. And if the money and everything is truly better in college, then over time you would figure that players will simply make that choice on their own.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This is up to the WNBA and players association. Hard to see how lowering the age restriction right now benefits either one of them. WNBA needs to use the popularity of the women's college game to cultivate stars and the players association has no motivation to let younger players into the league. I think it will be used as a bargaining chip by the players association to get some other things they want, but I bet it doesn't change any time soon.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is up to the WNBA and players association. Hard to see how lowering the age restriction right now benefits either one of them. WNBA needs to use the popularity of the women's college game to cultivate stars and the players association has no motivation to let younger players into the league. I think it will be used as a bargaining chip by the players association to get some other things they want, but I bet it doesn't change any time soon.

NBA did the same thing realizing 5-8 high school first rounders a year was bad for everybody. Current may not be perfect but it’s better.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Auriemma stated. ‘

Non starter issue almost because women will stay in college as the WNBA does not have a solidified fan base. It doesn't. Women can make more in college in many cases.

Until women start supporting the WNBA more that won't be changing any time soon. The media doesn't discuss this but that is the reality.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Your translation is nonsensical. He’s going to have a job no matter what. Cool to go ad hominem though, rather than argue the point he’s correct on. It’s vital to the women’s college game is able to build momentum like they did with Clark and like they will do in the future. They absolutely need stars.

So do the men.

Refuting that sounds like the argument that slavery was vital to southern agriculture.