Ash tree replacement

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Mulberry and red cedar.... just kidding. Planted a Norway maple and a crimson maple. Also, spruce seems to survive in Iowa. Planted white oak(slow) and pin oak (moderate) growth. Heard oak trees are having insect and disease issues, too.

I've spent way to much time this fall clearing mulberry and cedar. Every stump gets treated but a few yrs later those darn mulberry resprout. The are tough. Like eating them if in the woods though.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I live on a farm with a lot of ash trees that are dead or in the process of dying from EAB.
This since the weather has been nice this past few weeks we are taking down about 20 trees in our grove- next year will probably be the rest from around the rest of the yard.
I was wondering what we are going to replace these trees with. I would like something that is relatively fast growing for a hardwood tree, low maintenance, and is not really “dirty” once grown.
I an 43 and would like to enjoy these new trees at some point fully grown, or is that a pipe dream?

Sugar Maples. Autumn Blaze Maples. Red Oaks. Just a few you could go with.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
One of the articles I referenced above recommends staying away from maples. Over 30% of Iowa trees are maples, making them potentially susceptible to any "yet to be discovered" bug/blight.

yeah, but you can make syrup with maple trees.......soooooooooooooo......

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Imagine how all of these suburban neighborhoods that have all been planted with maple trees the last 20 years are going to look if disease hits maples the way it did Elms. Yikes.

I wouldn't be shocked if that happens. I have 1 massive Oak in the front yard and a River Birch. I planted 1 more river birch in my back yard after the derecho took down a pine tree and an elm in my backyard. As soon as I can get rid of the trampoline in my backyard which will be awhile, I will plant another River Birch or a Japanese Blood Red Maple.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and exCYtable

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I second the Tulip Tree which is a type of poplar tree, aka - fast growing.

Do not get a Black Locust, those are considered invasive species in many quarters, they spread like crazy and if not managed will become a problem.

Reactions: JeanValette

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
As a change of pace, and native, American Basswood (Tilia americana) can be fast growing. It does have wing seeds but not a big problem. Lindens (also Tilia species) of Europe are more pollution tolerant than the A. Basswood may not grow as fast. Basswood and Linden have a small very fragrant mass of inconspicuous frilly blossoms in June. Groups of flowering Tilia's light sweet smell can make quite a wonderful late spring experience especially just before dusk.

Though they attract bees I have never heard this to be a bother. The fall color is muted, however. I have Tilia in my yards and IT is a favorite of the dozens of species I have planted.

If you want my advice plant bareroot in spring as soon as the ground is workable. I used to own a landscape company-for cost and results (serviceability and best growth) bareroot was my go-to. Potted plants are great if not too large or too long in the container.

Last edited:

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Plant a linden if you hate your chainsaw. My neighbor and I each lost one in the derecho and the tree company went through an ungodly number of chains cutting them up.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: arobb and StClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Plant a linden if you hate your chainsaw. My neighbor and I each lost one in the derecho and the tree company went through an ungodly number of chains cutting them up.
That is a curious side note for planting, though it likely holds for other species.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Really nice non-typical bark. No seeds. A beautiful tree.

If size and speed matter go with a Tulip Tree(Liriodendron tulipifera)
Count me in as another fan of Kentucky Coffee Tree, obviously go with a seedless plant.

Iowast8isgr8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2010
Mulberry and red cedar.... just kidding. Planted a Norway maple and a crimson maple. Also, spruce seems to survive in Iowa. Planted white oak(slow) and pin oak (moderate) growth. Heard oak trees are having insect and disease issues, too.
Whatever you do, don't plant pin oak!!! Unless you like the tree dropping stuff 3-4 times throughout the spring-summer, and then hanging onto their leaves, so they can continue to drop all winter. Leaves are also very tough, so they don't mulch nearly as well as most other trees. I am a HARD pass on pin oaks.

CY74

Oct 27, 2019
We have planted a couple Blaze Maple trees, they grow very fast, and look very nice with the red leaves in the fall. Elm trees also grow quickly.

The best time to plant trees in Iowa is during the fall, water the heck out of them and when they make it through the winter you will know that you have a keeper. We purchased all of ours online from here https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/collections/mapletrees.

The newer hybrid Elms do grow fast, but a word of caution. Japanese Beetles love them and they will turn brown and drop leaves under moderate to heavy infestations. Same for Lindens.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I've always been partial to Hackberry trees, but I can't vouch for the speed of growth.
I have many havkberries, many are 50 feet plus. Very hardy and tough tree, very clean. I like that it drops the leaves before snow or ice happens. The walnuts and the oaks are very messy to keep a clean yard, all are 50 feet plus. The rest are cedar. I have over 50 trees on my property.

Last edited:
Reactions: StClone and NWICY