• Yes

Votes: 111 89.5%
  • No - NIT baby!

Votes: 13 10.5%

• Total voters

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It’s like last year. The committee will place us 2 seeds worse than we are projected. Would be interesting to compare last years resume to this years. Last year 7-11 in Big 12, this year 8-10. Last years non conference was far better with Creighton win on the road, and a blowout Iowa win. This years UNC win didn’t do much, and Villanova is terrible.
Also last year ISU crushed MU in the SEC game, and this year got blown out by MU. ISU has been swept by two teams near, the bottom of the conference. 5 of the last 7 losses have been to 4 bottom teams in the conference.

If ISU loses out, I think the seed is going to be very similar to last year. The selection committee isn't a bunch of robots; they are going to give more consideration to the poor season-ending play than the metrics do. I think that's what happened last year, where as you say, ISU got seeded two spots lower than projected.

hobbsfan27

Jun 6, 2008
Muscatine
Dayton baby!! This is Fran 2014, 6 straight losses and losing 8 out of 9 won't get you in the real tourney.
I’m actually curious. You think all the bracketology people that have us 5-6 are just that wrong? Or you just think we will fall past 25 teams for quad one losses

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I’m actually curious. You think all the bracketology people that have us 5-6 are just that wrong? Or you just think we will fall past 25 teams for quad one losses
I was probably being too harsh and halfway joking but they are falling into that 10-11 seed range. The committee won't care about computers with 14 losses and losing 6 straight.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Also last year ISU crushed MU in the SEC game, and this year got blown out by MU. ISU has been swept by two teams near, the bottom of the conference. 5 of the last 7 losses have been to 4 bottom teams in the conference.

If ISU loses out, I think the seed is going to be very similar to last year. The selection committee isn't a bunch of robots; they are going to give more consideration to the poor season-ending play than the metrics do. I think that's what happened last year, where as you say, ISU got seeded two spots lower than projected.

MU won like 12 games last year and is likely a tourney team this year.

2-3 of the 4 bottom Big 12 teams are bubbly and ISU is not as talented as them. Those losses suck but the lobsided losses aren't nearly as frequent as last season.

A tourney appearance is really good any way you can get it even if this slide has been difficult. Get in, go crazy for 40 minutes and maybe win.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I was probably being too harsh and halfway joking but they are falling into that 10-11 seed range. The committee won't care about computers with 14 losses and losing 6 straight.
They dropped 1 in the NET after last night
Sit at 22. If they lose to Baylor on the road they may not drop at all.

Was told by a friend at Fox Sports who is familiar with how the process now works. They don't care about streaks anymore at end of year. The dont look at dates when games are played. They just all games in a hopper they look at who you beat, who you lost to
They look at how many Quad 1 wins and Quad 2 wins do you have. Do you have Quad 4 losses.

That is how committee works these days. Those are the facts.

That said it would be better to be a 10 or 11 than 8 or 9

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
20-25 teams aren't going to pass us on the seed line because of Q1 losses.

isn't happening.

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
People, last night can't be a win that pushes West Virginia into the tournament AND also pushes Iowa State out of the tournament. There is no world in which West Virginia gets an at-large bid, and Iowa State doesn't. Now I think we could fall to the 8/9 range depending on other results but 6/7 is more likely.

Reactions: VeloClone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Lose the next two and I see an 8/9 seed. Get a winnable first round and then maybe a team like Purdue wouldn't be a bad draw.
Losing at Baylor won't change anything, but if they play OU and lose that I think will drop them to maybe a 7. They aren't going all the way to a 8/9

Reactions: MJAnderson

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
When you essentially lose every game in the last third of the season? Yes.
Its certainly not a good look. I'm less concerned about what the selection committee thinks than the fact that the wheels have completely come off. Yesterdays comeback helped for a minute but then back to not being able to score, doing dumb things and losing. If we had the same resume but it was not so front loaded i think most fans would be having more fun. As it is, nobody likes an absolute freefall.

Reactions: BCClone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You have absolutely no idea how the selection process works these days.
I wouldn’t act like we can’t fall to a 9. Last year almost everyone had us as a 9, and the committee had us playing in Dayton the night before the selection show, until Iowa beat Purdue.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Its certainly not a good look. I'm less concerned about what the selection committee thinks than the fact that the wheels have completely come off. Yesterdays comeback helped for a minute but then back to not being able to score, doing dumb things and losing. If we had the same resume but it was not so front loaded i think most fans would be having more fun. As it is, nobody likes an absolute freefall.
My frustration with the dumb stuff is worse with the players that have been in TJs system for multiple years. By the end of the season you should not be doing the little dumb stuff if they are hammered on by the staff, especially after a couple years, Grill has been in his system for three now. The mental part of the team is very weak.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You have absolutely no idea how the selection process works these days.
The problem with your rationale is the committee doesn't have much experience dealing with this kind of situation because most tournament teams don't lose 10 out of 13 to close the year.

The only thing remotely comparable is Iowa in 2014, they were showing up as a 3 in mid February then lost 6 out of 7 to close the year and ended up in Dayton.

I think this team will go on losing 8 of 10. That's a huge outlier so you don't have anymore evidence of them getting a 6 or 7 than us who think we are more like a 10 or 11.