Apple TV to stream all MLS matches starting next year

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I just can’t get into club soccer. I’ve tried and I love international soccer but I don’t know what it is and for whatever reason, no teams make me want to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I just can’t get into club soccer. I’ve tried and I love international soccer but I don’t know what it is and for whatever reason, no teams make me want to watch.

Closest I can get is following USMNT players on their club teams. Fortunately those opportunities are growing quickly, but I still have no club loyalty.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So the way I read this is that Apple TV+ will include "major" games and if you want all games you need to buy a separate package?

Seems iffy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I get into during the World Cup and Olympics but just isn’t a sport I follow during any other time.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So the way I read this is that Apple TV+ will include "major" games and if you want all games you need to buy a separate package?

Seems iffy
Yeah I need some clarification. It says it is free to AppleTV+, and that it will be available through the AppleTV App for subscription, some matches will be free. Really confused.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It has been fun for us to follow MN United's transition from NASL into MLS. We have attended games at their little former home stadium at the National Sports Center, US Bank Stadium, and Allianz Field. Daughter has since played games at that NSC stadium including a handful this season.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Yeah I need some clarification. It says it is free to AppleTV+, and that it will be available through the AppleTV App for subscription, some matches will be free. Really confused.

I assume this will be similar to how mlb.tv offers a ‘free game of the day’. Its randomly selected by MLB for that day. You dont need a subscription for their service, but just an account with the service

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So a minimum of $250m per year for this it is a 2.8x increase over current deal. What is the B12 worth? and now do the old guard get that streaming is very much in play for all of college football not just fringe.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So a minimum of $250m per year for this it is a 2.8x increase over current deal. What is the B12 worth? and now do the old guard get that streaming is very much in play for all of college football not just fringe.

I guess I read the information in the OP incorrectly. So living in a team's market I will now have to pay a premium to watch my home team's games? That seems as stupid as blackouts in the MLB. So if I am a season ticket holder I can get all games for free. Nevermind that I will be at half of my team's games.

For a sport and league that is trying to grow viewership and interest in the States this seems like a step in the wrong direction. Generally fans start off with a casual interest and then get pulled in. If they have to pretty much pay from day 1 to even watch on TV casual viewers will essentially not exist.

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I guess I read the information in the OP incorrectly. So living in a team's market I will now have to pay a premium to watch my home team's games? That seems as stupid as blackouts in the MLB. So if I am a season ticket holder I can get all games for free. Nevermind that I will be at half of my team's games.

For a sport and league that is trying to grow viewership and interest in the States this seems like a step in the wrong direction. Generally fans start off with a casual interest and then get pulled in. If they have to pretty much pay from day 1 to even watch on TV casual viewers will essentially not exist.

I believe MLS is retaining rights to simulcast on traditional linear/local networks. As a fan I love this idea (even if I don't have Apple TV) for the simple fact of getting everything in one spot, no blackouts or other restrictions. So many other leagues split their rights up to try and get the consumer to subscribe on a number of different platforms and/or networks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

1) I already pay a premium to get Crew games on Bally Sports Ohio

2) your last paragraph; this isn’t 1999. The league is long established and has huge value. The big teams are worth a billion dollars.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
1) I already pay a premium to get Crew games on Bally Sports Ohio

2) your last paragraph; this isn’t 1999. The league is long established and has huge value. The big teams are worth a billion dollars.
The big teams. They are adding expansion teams in new markets, some of which have a lot of work to do to build a fan base.

That said, if this augments rather than replaces our local access on Bally Sports I think it is fine. It just says exclusive so that was concerning.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Streaming services are going to pay up for loyal customers. That is what this means.

100% good news for the Big 12.

However, MLS was hoping for $300M. "For the 2021 regular season, MLS said it averaged 276,000 viewers for 31 regular-season games across ESPN channels, including ABC. That’s up from the average 233,000 viewers who consumed 39 MLS games in 2020 on ESPN platforms. " The most watched game in MLS history had less than 2M people watch. ISU games get more than that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron