Appalachian State vs. Iowa State predictions

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Help me understand your argument. Does ISU:
1) not have a good coach
2) not have D1 talent
or
3) have neither a good coach or D1 talent?

We don’t have talent, thanks to Fred and Prohm. A well coached team will exploit that. But since you’re desperate to hear it, it is arguable that on top of that we are not particularly well coached right now (Prohm had experienced and good ISU teams starting slow). These are all statements on the current team and performance. Good programs can have bad rosters and bad teams when good coaches fail to do their job well enough, both in terms of recruiting and coaching.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure of the score, but I think ISU will turn it around offensively and, after making 16 baskets with 18 turnovers on Monday, they'll have more baskets than turnovers this game.

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
No basketball “team” can be successful without strong leadership from individual players and the coach. Leadership from individual players must come from someone who earns the trust and respect of their team. Think Naz as an example. Once we have such individuals, we have opportunity. Until then, we do not really have a team or much opportunity. So, let’s hope we begin to see players or at least one player who “earns” the respect and trust of his teammates.

• Agree
Reactions: Seedman

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
We don’t have talent, thanks to Fred and Prohm. A well coached team will exploit that. But since you’re desperate to hear it, it is arguable that on top of that we are not particularly well coached right now (Prohm had experienced and good ISU teams starting slow). These are all statements on the current team and performance. Good programs can have bad rosters and bad teams when good coaches fail to do their job well enough, both in terms of recruiting and coaching.

I think is reasonable to assume that Prohm does not prioritize early season success.

2016 and 2017 ISU teams started "slow" as did 2014 and 2015 Murray St. teams. Prohm commented last year that if your goal is making the NCAA tournament and making a run, it less critical to get win in the non-conference. By playing in a high major there are plenty of good B12 wins to get you into the postseason (as opposed to playing in the Ohio Valley Conference).

I think the early disciplining of Lard, Lewis, and Talley supports that Prohm is taking a long-view approach (i.e. let's build a solid foundation before we started decorating the house). I sense that Prohm is willing to take some early season losses if that means not compromising the whole season. It is a ballsy and risky move.

Will that get ISU where it wants be in February/March? Who knows, but it seems clear that early season wins do not matter much to Prohm if there are larger systemic problems that need to be addressed.

There are future professional players on this team, but they are simply not playing together at this point in the season. It is still too early in the season to make any definitive judgement. Just because the results are not wins it does not necessarily mean there is no positive progress with an inexperienced team still learning how to play together and assume new roles.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
After spouting off (a little) in the UWM prediction thread, scoffing that ISU was in danger of losing, so I'll tread lightly.

Humbling observation: App-State is no Milwaukee, so there's that.

ISU wins by 6.

If we get past that, I'm not overly confident vs. the next (probable) opponent, Western Michigan. (WMU should dispense w/ Tulsa).

No way to guess how much Brase and Lard can add to the mix in short-term, but it's gotta be at least a little boost.

• Agree
Reactions: mjhavlo76

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
There is no way I can accurately predict a score for this game, but I will say that ISU will do just enough for the win.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I rewatched the UW-Milwaukee game. Some observations that could go a far ways against Appalachian St. and beyond:

1) Need to get D. Jackson going. Probably should run a few set plays to get good, clean looks. Need to check Synergy on this, but Jackson seems much more comfortable in catch & shoot 3s than off the dribble. If ISU can even just get one player that creates some "gravity" by reliably knocking down 3s it will open everything else on the offense up.

2) Everyone on defense needs to settle down. Too often players were gambling on passing lanes and creating advantage situations for the opposing team's half court offense. Additionally, players need to stay on their feet. Too often it created easy shots for the opposing team or dumb fouls. Defenders need to keep all offense in front of them. If this team is to go anywhere, it will be because of its defense.

3) Opportunistically pick'n'roll. This team is not suited for running pick'n'roll like ISU teams (i.e. Morris) of the past. Weiler-Babb or Wigginton as ball-handlers and Young, Brase, and Lard as screeners can be effective for post dives or possible pick&pop 3s, but not nearly as efficient as what ISU has been accustomed too. This offense needs spacing. Ineffective operators in the pick'n'roll just clogs up the floor more. I'm calling for more isolations for Wigginton, Talley, and Weiler-Babb. Off-ball screens and creating offense from passing will be helpful too.

4) Smart decision-making during transition offense. Too many missed opportunities that resulted in a turnover after getting a defensive rebound or steal. Really hoping Brase and Lard are catalysts for more transition offense opportunities by grabbing more defensive rebounds. This team really need create points in transition and early offense.

5) Confidence and Leadership. This teams is currently fragile and certain players seem to being too much pressure on themselves. With no apparent go-to leader it is even more vulnerable to the whims of the game. I don't think their is answer in this area, but if Prohm can groom these aspects I think it will go farther than any Xs and Os. This teams needs experience some success and I expect all other aspects will start to "click"

This team has pieces and I believe they performed as poorly as possible in their first 2 games. As long as they maintain their competitiveness and fight for a full 40 minutes we can be in any game this year. To win, this team needs a tenacious, smart backcourt defense. I am looking forward to the inclusion of Lard and Brase. I don't expect a dramatic difference with these two, but at least we see what this team looks like everyone playing. The game outcomes may be frustrating, but looking forward to seeing how this team grows.

ISU: 77
Appalachian St.: 63

I think the point one part of the post is trying to say he's not a point guard.

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
They do have some good players and it appears they can shoot the ball from 3 at a good clip.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Based on the data we have, we will shoot just under 40% overall and score in the upper 50's in points. That will not be enough to stop a team that can clearly score. I dont expect our defense to be much better than the 2 no name teams App State has beaten, so I'm going with an L for us.