AP Ranking 3/3

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
Saw this link below the linked bracket.

Big 12 is nation's best conference - NCB - ESPN

Anybody who is an insider want to share a few bullets of what he said about the Big 12?

TIA

Read that article and he has some great insight...basically says at the beginning of the year, the ACC was the front runner for best conference, but Notre Dame and the bottom half has been awful. Then talks about BIG and how they have some good teams, but not teams he feels can make a run in the tournely.

He anticipates the Big 12 will get 70% of its league in the tourney, which will be incredibly higher percentage than any other conference (says the BIG may get to 50%).

Long story short...he feels the Big 12 has the most teams that can do some damage in the tourney and is pretty high on us.

Good read...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wouldn't care if ISU was ranked anywhere from 10th-18th, but there's no reason that all the teams from 18 and lower are any better than unranked Texas and Kansas State. With some it's quite clear that Texas and KSU are better and the committee will back it up.

There's no way as of today that Iowa gets a better seed than Texas, probably not KSU either, but definitely not Texas.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I wouldn't care if ISU was ranked anywhere from 10th-18th, but there's no reason that all the teams from 18 and lower are any better than unranked Texas and Kansas State. With some it's quite clear that Texas and KSU are better and the committee will back it up.

There's no way as of today that Iowa gets a better seed than Texas, probably not KSU either, but definitely not Texas.

Lunardi has both Iowa and Texas as 6 seeds in his latest Bracketology and KSU as an 8 seed.

Bracketology - NCAA College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lunardi has both Iowa and Texas as 6 seeds in his latest Bracketology and KSU as an 8 seed.

Bracketology - NCAA College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN

If Iowa wins @MSU and Texas doesn't get any more big wins I could see Iowa ahead of them, short of that there's just no way to look at Iowa's resume and say they're above Texas. I've been surprised for a few months now that Texas isn't 4-5 spots higher in the polls. Just shows the brand voter doesn't transfer to other sports. It was hard for them to shake off the horrible stigma the offseason caused.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Iowa still being ranked is a huge joke, but maybe it speaks to the lack of great teams around the country this year.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Iowa still being ranked is a huge joke, but maybe it speaks to the lack of great teams around the country this year.

I think that's exactly it. When you look at the teams that just missed out, there aren't any obvious choices to pick ahead of Iowa. If it were me, I'd replace Iowa and Kentucky with Texas and Kansas State, but I get that it's a judgment call.

What really steams me is all the love that the American Athletic Conference has been getting this year. Flavor-of-the-month SMU moved up five spots just for beating UCF (200th ranked RPI) at home. Every team in that joke of a conference gets 10 games against some really, really bad programs to stuff in their win column. It's absolutely pathetic that the AAC takes up 1/4 of the AP Top 20.