Anyone with Audi?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I’m thinking of getting a new car and Audi A4 is one of the cars I am considering. Does anyone have experience with it in terms of reliability and comfort? I don’t plan on getting a brand new one so I want to avoid a situation where I have to make frequent trips to the shop if the car exceeds certain mileage and then starts to break down.

I am thinking about Infiniti Q50 too.

Thanks in advance!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just from my own experience of owning 2 Infiniti's, 1 Audi, and 2 VW's.

Never had one thing go wrong with the Infiniti's. They have used that same 3.7l in about every vehicle they make. Ignore this last piece, it looks like they have switched motors recently.

For the Audi, even though your buying used DON'T BUY A FIRST YEAR/REFRESH MODEL. My wifes VW doesn't have any huge issues but a ton of little bugs that get sorted out over time.

Go here and research
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cyclone13

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I have a 2017 A4...purchased new. It is the base level (premium) with upgraded tires/rims, sound system, and cold weather package.

First, love the car. More than enough power, comfortable seating, and good gas mileage. Normally see 32+ on trips to ISU football games from Omaha. It is excellent in snow...and have had plenty of practice this winter...no issues at all as it is the AWD version.

As for negatives...it did have a couple of issues with the entertainment system and antenna. Fixed. No other issues requiring service. Also, the back seat is snug...very tight if you are behind a 6 foot driver and you are also 6 feet sitting behind them.

Overall, would buy again and do recommend.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
This will make me sound like an old lady and I don't know your budget but here is something you may want to consider if you're really concerned about reliability and comfort.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/aud...8-honda-accord-20t-touring-comparison-review/

I have owned Honda for almost 20 years and I love Honda! Too bad their sedan doesn’t have AWD version. I am driving only 9 miles round trip for work so I am fine dealing with snow and cold with 10-15 mins commute but since I will have to drive further for work in the near future I would love AWD and heated seat during the winter

Reactions: dmclone

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I've never really considered Audi/VW reliable unless they were new. Most of the ones I hear about start having automatic transmission issues around 100k and a bunch of other tiny things start to pop up as they get older.

• Informative

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I've never really considered Audi/VW reliable unless they were new. Most of the ones I hear about start having automatic transmission issues around 100k and a bunch of other tiny things start to pop up as they get older.

That’s what I have heard too esp with VW. That’s why I plan to get a used one with low mileage and the use it for ~5-7 years before getting rid of it. My estimate is I will drive around 9 miles per year and that’ll be quite on the high end.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have owned Honda for almost 20 years and I love Honda! Too bad their sedan doesn’t have AWD version. I am driving only 9 miles round trip for work so I am fine dealing with snow and cold with 10-15 mins commute but since I will have to drive further for work in the near future I would love AWD and heated seat during the winter

That's good info. I've always heard that the quattro in the Audi has better performance than the AWD in the Infiniti. I don't know if this is true but I will say that my wifes Tiquan has 4motion and I've been pretty impressed with its abilities in the snow/ice. On the other hand, the turbo 4cyl engine is a complete dog compared to her old 6cyl RDX.

• Informative

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Since you're going the used route, another thing you may consider is the A6 instead. From my experience, they depreciate a lot more and you may be able to get one for a similar price. I drove an A6 prestige package and it was pretty special.

• Informative

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
my friends with used audi's have $600 "check up" bills all the time.

your cost of ownership and depreciation will be significantly less with a Q50 compared to an A4.

• Informative

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Since you're going the used route, another thing you may consider is the A6 instead. From my experience, they depreciate a lot more and you may be able to get one for a similar price. I drove an A6 prestige package and it was pretty special.

I have an Audi A6 Prestige TDI. It's the best sedan I've ever had. Quiet, comfortable, terrific ride/suspension and even with the software fix, the mileage is outstanding. The quattro runs through snow better than my Toyota Sequioa, I would highly recommend finding a low mileage used A-6 if possible. Only negative is related to the soft and quick wearing tires, not the vehicle.

• Informative

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
That’s what I have heard too esp with VW. That’s why I plan to get a used one with low mileage and the use it for ~5-7 years before getting rid of it. My estimate is I will drive around 9 miles per year and that’ll be quite on the high end.
Just remember Audi/VW is similar to Buick/Chevy. They have the same engines and transmissions in similar platforms.

from Wikipedia
Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and the flagship Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and TRATON (commercial vehicles, trucks, and buses) under the marques MAN, Scania, and VolkswagenCommercial Vehicles.

• Informative

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Currently driving an 2015 A5. With Quattro and my snow tires on it's the best snowmobile I ever owned. Bought it used in spring 2016 from dealer at an enormous discount. Was a low mileage dealer driven car (4k miles on it), not one of their loaners. Guessing coupes just aren't in as demand anymore since they generally ask WAY too much for their new and slightly used cars at the Mlps area Audi dealers.

Previous auto was a 2004 A4 Quattro. Drove it for 10 years. Hands down my favorite life car. Only left me stranded once with a failed fuel pump which isn't out of line after 10 years and 120K or so miles. Had a few niggling electronic gremlins like the seat heater failing after a bunch of years and a glitchy sunroof switch. Little stuff but all after a bunch of years. Cannot comment on auto transmissions in the long run since this was a manual.

• Informative