Anyone researched cell phone plan lately?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Anyone researched cell phones much recently? Our family has been on Verizon, but just feel our costs are to high with the data the kids use. Can lower bill a bit with unlimited plans, but has anyone recently looked at other plans and phone options? Looking for advice.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
US Cellular, we have 6 phones, 4 with unlimited and 2 with 5GB. I got a deal where I traded in my Galaxy S6 for a brand new S8 with VR headset for free. Since my phone was free as long as I stay with them for 30 months, I pay $51.38 a month for unlimited everything and insurance ($175 deductible for new phone). They have rotating deals at US Cellular, current one is $5 a month for 30 months for iPhone 8.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
US Cellular, we have 6 phones, 4 with unlimited and 2 with 5GB. I got a deal where I traded in my Galaxy S6 for a brand new S8 with VR headset for free. Since my phone was free as long as I stay with them for 30 months, I pay $51.38 a month for unlimited everything and insurance ($175 deductible for new phone). They have rotating deals at US Cellular, current one is $5 a month for 30 months for iPhone 8.
How??? If I add our 5 lines to a new plan on their website it comes out to like $400/month.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
How??? If I add our 5 lines to a new plan on their website it comes out to like $400/month.
I did the first plan option on their site for 5 unlimited phones and it was $250, add $50 for insurance. Then it would be another $25 a month for iPhone 8's. That would be $65 a month.

They had an unlimited promotion when we switched plans last Spring. We had the grandfathered Belief plan that they forced us out of by no longer offering insurance with it. They had been trying for years to get us to switch. That plan was great, free phone, no deductible insurance on first 3 replacements every 18 months, 5GB data and unlimited call and text for $50 a month.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Looks like you can get the unlimited plan at Verizon for $40/month/line - up to 4 lines.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I am basically forced to use Verizon due to reception in some areas. We have the unlimited plan for the whole family. My best advice is to just buy phones outright and avoid the phone payment plans altogether. When you avoid the phone costs you can keep monthly bill pretty reasonable.

This will save money if you are ok with being 1 version back on your favorite phone brand. There are lots of places to find deals on phones especially after their replacement has hit the market.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I did the first plan option on their site for 5 unlimited phones and it was $250, add $50 for insurance. Then it would be another $25 a month for iPhone 8's. That would be $65 a month.

They had an unlimited promotion when we switched plans last Spring. We had the grandfathered Belief plan that they forced us out of by no longer offering insurance with it. They had been trying for years to get us to switch. That plan was great, free phone, no deductible insurance on first 3 replacements every 18 months, 5GB data and unlimited call and text for $50 a month.

I assume/deduce that this is per line...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I am basically forced to use Verizon due to reception in some areas. We have the unlimited plan for the whole family. My best advice is to just buy phones outright and avoid the phone payment plans altogether. When you avoid the phone costs you can keep monthly bill pretty reasonable.

This will save money if you are ok with being 1 version back on your favorite phone brand. There are lots of places to find deals on phones especially after their replacement has hit the market.

This 100%. So many people say "Well my phone bill is $250/month". No, your phone bill is probably $120/month and you're paying $120/month for 3 new Iphone 8+'s.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
We looked into this 6 months ago and ended up with Verizon. I think you could get cheaper with US Cellular, but if you exceed 22GB per month, they downgrade you to 2g (in their unlimited plans). Conversely, Verizon only slows you down if there is congestion.

After a few months, my kids (teens) never go over 20 GB so that probably wasn't a real concern. My wife noticed a significant improvement in data speed (in Ames) when we switched. Also, we do tether to other devices periodically - you get 10 GB per device on Verizon.

We are currently paying for a couple phones and insurance on one. Without that, it would be a little less than $200 for 4 lines and unlimited data on all of them. I have no complaints in any of our service or performance.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We looked into this 6 months ago and ended up with Verizon. I think you could get cheaper with US Cellular, but if you exceed 22GB per month, they downgrade you to 2g (in their unlimited plans). Conversely, Verizon only slows you down if there is congestion.

After a few months, my kids (teens) never go over 20 GB so that probably wasn't a real concern. My wife noticed a significant improvement in data speed (in Ames) when we switched. Also, we do tether to other devices periodically - you get 10 GB per device on Verizon.

We are currently paying for a couple phones and insurance on one. Without that, it would be a little less than $200 for 4 lines and unlimited data on all of them. I have no complaints in any of our service or performance.
It's tough to hit 22GB, I watch Netflix and ESPN all the time and rarely break 15.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
It's tough to hit 22GB, I watch Netflix and ESPN all the time and rarely break 15.

After 6 months, that makes sense. Based on my two teenage sitting in the back seat and watching their phones ALL THE TIME, I didn't know what to think when we were setting it up. I think we could have saved $10-20 per month with US Cellular, but based on the instant improvement in performance, I am satisfied with Verizon.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
We have two iPhones and are looking to switch from US Cellular due to cost. Any feedback on Straight Talk or Cricket Wireless?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We have two iPhones and are looking to switch from US Cellular due to cost. Any feedback on Straight Talk or Cricket Wireless?

We've had Cricket for over a year now and I have no real problems with it. Right now we are paying $70 for 2 lines and I think we share 8 gb of data. We never get close to that as we are normally on home/work wifi, but even if you do reach your limit they just throttle you instead of charging more.

However, my parents live in SW Iowa and I have trouble getting reception at all there. Not just internet, phone too.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's $40/line only at four lines, not up to four. I know because we only have 2 lines and can't get that deal.

Ya I've wanted to switch back to another carrier but we only have 2 lines. Need 4 anywhere to get decent per line prices. I wish someone would just go in with us on a plan.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Cricket uses ATT - Your phone may not work very well depending on the iPhone model. ATT is GSM, USC is CMDA
Straight Talk uses many carriets, Tmobile and verizone are the biggest ones. Verizon is CMDA and any mvno using verizon towers would work well.

Verizon is launching a service called visible. Might be worth you checking it out. https://www.visible.com/?_ga=2.267922766.1504690077.1527706780-78187794.1527706780

If you aren't buying phones, prepaid plans may be the way to go.