Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Hes out of the budget. Guaranteed. Everyone would love to have Beilein, but it’s not realistic. We’re going to need the hometown discount just to get Fred here.

Beilein was making about 2.5 at Michigan. Michigan, relative to revenue, is cheaper than ISU. If Beilein isn't interested in ISU, I don't know that it's about money. He really seems like a guy who would find the ISU job attractive but for some reason I just don't feel like he'll be interested and I can't put my finger on why.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Also, Bill Self's contract is up next year and he doesn't have a buyout I don't believe.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
of course my espn+ expired today so that coaching carousel article i cannot see

any insight about us?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The interesting thing about Beilein is his son. Patrick had shown real promise as a head coach until whatever personal issues he had forced him to resign from Niagra. There has been speculation as to what that is but I haven't seen confirmation. In any case, I don't think it was incredibly serious from the standpoint of a University wanting to employ him or not as an assistant. So, say you can get Beilein in here for 5 years, stabilize and improve the program, then have someone sitting on the bench as a possible succession plan. Nothing is guaranteed, but man, with all the questions around anyone else, it's an attractive thought to me.

Didn't know that. But that's the kind of thing that would get a guy like him cheaper - hire an older guy in Beilein, name his son coach in waiting, etc. kind like SMU did with Larry Brown and his assistant who was slated to take over.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Didn't know that. But that's the kind of thing that would get a guy like him cheaper - hire an older guy in Beilein, name his son coach in waiting, etc. kind like SMU did with Larry Brown and his assistant who was slated to take over.

That's my thought too but from what I've read when he's mentioned for a job, it's hardly a unique thought. Most every fanbase has figure this out as well. It's not like no one is willing to take him on as an assistant. He's overqualified for that role.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
of course my espn+ expired today so that coaching carousel article i cannot see

any insight about us?

Not much really - we are the second to the top in 'jobs being watched', but the comments are pretty vanilla and same that have been discussed here (horrible conf record, generally good job with passionate fan base). Headwind of a $5 Million buyout referenced as a hurdle.

Reactions: CoachHines3

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Possibly been mentioned before, but just did a scan of JP's twitter, and he's not mentioned ISU basketball once this season (from what I saw). He did retweet a few from ISUMBB honoring THT and Tyrese NBA accomplishments.

Not sure what I expected, but was surprised there has been nothing.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Also, Bill Self's contract is up next year and he doesn't have a buyout I don't believe.
Coaching is about relationships, etc. We are a Nike school......so may not bring much to the equation, lol

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

JP doesn’t work that way. He’s always going to be trying to find the Matt Campbell type. Fred would be an outlier because that is instant revenue and he (JP) just has to live with the past and future uncertainties.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
JP doesn’t work that way. He’s always going to be trying to find the Matt Campbell type. Fred would be an outlier because that is instant revenue and he (JP) just has to live with the past and future uncertainties.

I know, the point is that do you feel that Patrick Beilein is the Matt Campbell type. I agree it's not going to happen but that does add an interesting wrinkle.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Summary - Prohm’s name is mentioned as a candidate for New Mexico. That would be great for ISU. But I have no idea how ANY AD could look at Prohm’s record, his teams, and what he did at Iowa State and say “oh yeah, I want me some of that for my program!”.

Well, Creighton did that with ISU and their bad performance and wanted that for their program...

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Summary - Prohm’s name is mentioned as a candidate for New Mexico. That would be great for ISU. But I have no idea how ANY AD could look at Prohm’s record, his teams, and what he did at Iowa State and say “oh yeah, I want me some of that for my program!”.
Prohm has shown he can recruit talent. Maybe not well enough to put together full teams to consistently compete in the big 12, but at new Mexico recruiting a talented guard and saying go win might be enough to make them decent, or at least better than last place in the mountain west.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan4St8

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
  • Winner
Reactions: Snydes

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Check out New Mexico's record......and in what conference. We are bad.....they are next level bad. And Steve has proven he can win. He did it here and at Murray State. And many think we can't get a good hire.....try New Mexico. We are a Duke type job compared to them.
New Mexico has had a good basketball program for a while. One of the better Mountain West programs.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Was very surprised to read this as there has been no mention of New Mexico on CF. With all of the 'insiders' sharing what they've heard about donor buyout money, Fred's return dreams, etc, how did Shatel hear this and nobody on CF has?

Reactions: Macloney

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
You didn’t read the post. The $$$ is only available in targeted scenarios.
It's their money, but I'd disagree with their judgement if they wouldn't pay $10 million to get Altman, but they would for Hoiberg. Either way, I'd be grateful to them, but geez....

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019