Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I've been watching this thread for weeks and just want to add my two cents. I don't think it's going to be Freddie; you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I like both DeVries and Ben Jacobson. Why? Both love the state and could recruit top Iowa talent. Don't underestimate the cohesive value of recruiting Iowa talent. Our top AAU programs do VERY WELL in national tournaments. Check out the rosters at UNI and Iowa. LOADED with Iowa talent. Of course, you won't win national championships with only Iowa kids, BUT you will have solid team cores with young men who LOVE their state and school and will STAY FOUR YEARS. Say what you will about Fran, he recruits and plays Iowa talent. Jacobson as well. UNI was down this year but Jacobson's run there has been excellent. `Iowa high school basketball is better than many realize. Year in and year out, ISU has failed in recruiting the top Iowa talent. I believe both the aforementioned coaches would succeed in Ames. After those two, I like Bryce Drew. Yes, he failed at Vanderbilt, but he is a bright ambitious basketball lifer.

Xavier Foster says Hello.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I've been watching this thread for weeks and just want to add my two cents. I don't think it's going to be Freddie; you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I like both DeVries and Ben Jacobson. Why? Both love the state and could recruit top Iowa talent. Don't underestimate the cohesive value of recruiting Iowa talent. Our top AAU programs do VERY WELL in national tournaments. Check out the rosters at UNI and Iowa. LOADED with Iowa talent. Of course, you won't win national championships with only Iowa kids, BUT you will have solid team cores with young men who LOVE their state and school and will STAY FOUR YEARS. Say what you will about Fran, he recruits and plays Iowa talent. Jacobson as well. UNI was down this year but Jacobson's run there has been excellent. `Iowa high school basketball is better than many realize. Year in and year out, ISU has failed in recruiting the top Iowa talent. I believe both the aforementioned coaches would succeed in Ames. After those two, I like Bryce Drew. Yes, he failed at Vanderbilt, but he is a bright ambitious basketball lifer.
Jacobson won’t happen.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Speechless-Bryan-Cranston.gif

Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

Do you think we could poach Fran from Iowa?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Looks like Jake Sullivan created a CF account.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah I know. Was just thinking perception of him might change if that’s what would happen. I for one think that I’d rather have Craig Smith or Dennis Gates first but I think TJ would be a solid option because you know what types of players he’d be able to get.

We know TJ can recruit, as he got talent to ISU under McDermott and Fred.

But I think it's also important to note that UNLV as a program usually recruits very well. Let's not forget we lost out on Vaughn during the legendary Dave Rice era.

Reactions: Kaner04
Jul 26, 2020
I never said I believed either Jacobson or DeVries were available or interested in a new opportunity. If you think there is no Iowa talent, just read the UNI or Iowa rosters. I'm not just talking 5 star, top 100 recruits, but solid role players who add depth and upperclass leadership to a program. ISU hasn't been successful in recruiting those type of players. Prohm recruited great talent who mostly LEFT EARLY. You need a mix of true blue chips and role players.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We know TJ can recruit, as he got talent to ISU under McDermott and Fred.

But I think it's also important to note that UNLV as a program usually recruits very well. Let's not forget we lost out on Vaughn during the legendary Dave Rice era.

Yep. We lost out on Rashad Vaughn. That was when TJ was an Assistant at Washington. Who knows whether TJ could have reeled him in for Fred if he was still at Iowa State.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

So you’re new to basketball, welcome. Grab your ankles.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Probably didn't need to go that far. Your analysis of Babb's defensive contribution in FH O/D trade-off scheme is legitimate, and he excelled in that role, but you're gonna get a LOT of flak claiming "best defender we've ever had."

We’ve had some great shot blockers but in terms of lock down guys outside of the paint Bankhead and Babb top the list for me. Babb could shoot the ball as well. Lots of clutch shots.

Almost forget that CB exists he gets lost in the shuffle but what a great player. HOIBALL IS THE WAY.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

Welcome, Cyclone great - Jake Sullivan to the CF forums!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We’ve had some great shot blockers but in terms of lock down guys outside of the paint Bankhead and Babb top the list for me. Babb could shoot the ball as well. Lots of clutch shots.

Almost forget that CB exists h
We’ve had some great shot blockers but in terms of lock down guys outside of the paint Bankhead and Babb top the list for me. Babb could shoot the ball as well.

definitely on high end as lockdown type, but the post I quoted suggested best defender overall. I didn’t mean to nitpick but it distracted from the point.

I agree we’ve had outstanding defenders with various qualities — the rim protectors and steals legends, “unsung grunt work” defensive players. Ron Harris was like a Babb in some respects in a different era.

Reactions: cyatheart