Anyone else following this? (legalization of Fireworks in Iowa)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
There was one that got pretty high up last week on one of those really windy days. Made me wonder if homeowners insurance covers someone burning our house down, or does their insurance, or are you just screwed? Need to call agent I think.

KHoing7

Aug 23, 2009
LeGrand
There was one that got pretty high up last week on one of those really windy days. Made me wonder if homeowners insurance covers someone burning our house down, or does their insurance, or are you just screwed? Need to call agent I think.
Time to get firework insurance

KHoing7

Aug 23, 2009
LeGrand
My neighbors have been shooting them off the past couple nights over their house over main street and right at the elementary school across the road. While it is still illegal to shoot them off due to city ordinances

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
KCRG in CR was reporting tonight about all the complaints regarding fireworks. Part of the blame is the ridiculously long time Cedar Rapids allowed (June 1st-July 8th). Thankfully, I live on the outer edge of the city with reasonable neighbors, but I can hear them going off in every direction.

Edit. July 8th not 4th

Last edited:

KHoing7

Aug 23, 2009
LeGrand
That's a thought. Will homeowners insurance rates go up in Iowa because of the new law?
I wouldn't think so because most cities still have them being banned in town and if it happens that person will just be screwed

KHoing7

Aug 23, 2009
LeGrand
KCRG in CR was reporting tonight about all the complaints regarding fireworks. Part of the blame is the ridiculously long time Cedar Rapids allowed (June 1st-July 4th). Thankfully, I live on the outer edge of the city with reasonable neighbors, but I can hear them going off in every direction.
Marshalltowns is June 1st - July 8th and December 10th - January 3rd i think its stupid

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am checking with a Wichita newspaper reporter that covers local police and fire stuff if he can remember any fires from fireworks falling on houses. I can't remember any from when we were down there (don't remember anything fireworks related at all actually). Not to mention how many towns set fireworks off around buildings (CR does) and have never burnt buildings down.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa

giphy.gif

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I read somewhere else that people are calling in fake complaints as a protest. I have no idea about the validity of this but if that is true it is completely inappropriate and illegal.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesTwentyOne

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I am checking with a Wichita newspaper reporter that covers local police and fire stuff if he can remember any fires from fireworks falling on houses. I can't remember any from when we were down there (don't remember anything fireworks related at all actually). Not to mention how many towns set fireworks off around buildings (CR does) and have never burnt buildings down.

My guess, and I have no facts to back it up, is that the fire risk is more from using fireworks incorrectly - like having roman candle fights and other dumb things like that. I'm sure mortar type fireworks are designed to launch high enough that what falls back to earth should be burned out. Launching them around some really dry grass coupled with a misfire that somehow doesn't launch into the air is another scenario that might not end well but I bet they are rare.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
My neighbors have been shooting them off the past couple nights over their house over main street and right at the elementary school across the road. While it is still illegal to shoot them off due to city ordinances

Sounds like you know exactly what house they're coming from, why not call them in (or go ask them to stop, if that's more your style)? Maybe take a video for good measure.

Right at the school, the humanity! Probably already hit a few kindergartners too, huh?

Not accusing anyone here directly, but I'm thinking there have been/will be some exaggerated 'stories' just to show how terrible this new law is.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
funny the people who say "your just being grumpy" or "get your panties out of a bunch" its just little explosions throughout the night". How about your neighbors get a dog that barks till midnight every night. Would it still be awweeee who cares or would you start a thread on here on how to poison the dog? white trash entertainment should not come at the expense of families trying to sleep.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
funny the people who say "your just being grumpy" or "get your panties out of a bunch" its just little explosions throughout the night". How about your neighbors get a dog that barks till midnight every night. Would it still be awweeee who cares or would you start a thread on here on how to poison the dog? white trash entertainment should not come at the expense of families trying to sleep.

No, I'd probably ask them to fix the issue & call the authorities if they didn't... Kind of like what I've been proposing here.

But, by all means, keep complaining about it on the internet. I'm sure that's the best way to solve the problem.

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
No, I'd probably ask them to fix the issue & call the authorities if they didn't... Kind of like what I've been proposing here.

But, by all means, keep complaining about it on the internet. I'm sure that's the best way to solve the problem.

What you suggest is a nice idea, but in reality a desirable outcome is unlikely.

It is difficult to tell if the people lighting these things off actually live nearby, or are just some kids walking around lighting them.

If the police are even receptive to your concern, people may be done lighting the fireworks by the time they arrive.

Police may be unlikely to write an actual ticket and only issue a warning. The issue could increase after a visit from the police.

If the cops show up, there is a higher potential for someone to get shot for no reason. Not a desirable outcome for anyone.

It may be that alerting the authorities could help, but there is a high likelihood for things ro stay the the same or get worse. Dealing with cops in any capacity is a PITA.

The powers that be took a small nuicance and changed it into a large one by allowing fireworks to be sold. Just my opinion.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
First off I am a supporter of the fireworks legalization and feel it is about the only thing the Iowa Legislature has done that is a positive.

However, who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to allow tents packed full of explosives to be setup at gas stations. I have seen this twice now and completely blows my mind.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
What you suggest is a nice idea, but in reality a desirable outcome is unlikely.

It is difficult to tell if the people lighting these things off actually live nearby, or are just some kids walking around lighting them.

If the police are even receptive to your concern, people may be done lighting the fireworks by the time they arrive.

Police may be unlikely to write an actual ticket and only issue a warning. The issue could increase after a visit from the police.

If the cops show up, there is a higher potential for someone to get shot for no reason. Not a desirable outcome for anyone.

It may be that alerting the authorities could help, but there is a high likelihood for things ro stay the the same or get worse. Dealing with cops in any capacity is a PITA.

The powers that be took a small nuicance and changed it into a large one by allowing fireworks to be sold. Just my opinion.
Wow, this went from some fireworks being shot to somebody being shot. Why stop there, let's say it was race related, then the riots start, it's only a matter of time before the whole town is burning and cars are flipped over.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron