Anyone driven one of the U-Haul 26-foot box trucks?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Curious as to your impression and take on driveability. Tossing around an idea for volunteering to drive one to Montana for a family member.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Drove a Penske one. Not very full. I like stiffer riding vehicles (hence the three quarter ton pickup) and thought it was a little floppy.

As long as you don’t get nasty wind shears you will be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever and NWICY

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I drove a 14 foot one from Minneapolis to Cedar Rapids once. I'll just say, if you do it, they will owe you big time.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Curious as to your impression and take on driveability. Tossing around an idea for volunteering to drive one to Montana for a family member.

I might know more in a few weeks. Doing the same thing for a family member with a 22' penske truck. Houston to Oregon. Should be fun...

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Cytasticlone

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Did the 26' from Iowa to Texas years back. Pulled a full car trailer (not dolly style) behind it too. Summer...it was so damn hot in the cab with a bulk of the motor at your feet. Other than that and the 8 miles/gallon it wasn't the worst thing I've ever done.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'd rather do the 26' box on wheels before I pull a 30' trailer behind my F150 again. I've driven the 26' box trucks a couple times and the best thing to me was packing it in nice so nothing could really move. The trailer danced a lot more behind me and required more driver intervention than any box truck I've driven.

Regardless, nothing that big is fun when it's windy. You're just driving a sail.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Drove a 26' Penske when we moved back from Wichita. Wasn't too bad and I think it had cruise but maybe I am making that up. Had an issue with needing to stop randomly once because it had to go through regeneration. Thankfully my dad was following me so I had some company while I chilled at the Lamoni rest area.

Got back on the road and we get almost to Osceola and all of a sudden I lose almost all engine power so I am now going 25 MPH up 35. Limp a mile or so up to the exit and call their roadside assistance. Apparently the clamp on the blower hose came off. Put a new one on and we were back on the road.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Grrr, Uhaul. Rant warning:

Sorry, but I will never rent Uhaul ever again. I reserved a trucks weeks in advance and ended up getting plans delayed by a half day because they rented out my truck the night before to another customer. I had requested an early arrival time and was assured it would be there. Nope. I lost the available help I had lined up and ended up loading everything with my injured wife. Really good time, BTW.

Since we already running behind, I sent my wife ahead to get some things lined up while I finished loading, so I was on my own with the truck. No biggie, but keep in mind this was pre-cell phone era.

When I finally got the last bit packed and secured, I went to latch the back door. The handle fell off. I had to crawl around in the back to find a screwdriver to fix the broken latch.

I finally got on the road. About 30 minutes in, I had the brakes go out on a mini mountain. And no, I didn't ride them. I geared down. I had to apply and release the emergency brake to coax myself to safety. It was about 15 minutes of hell.

When I called Uhaul, they offered to bring me another truck so I could transfer my stuff over. I had a full truck and was by myself and could not move some of the things inside. After 25 frustrating minutes on the phone I convinced them to send a tow truck and tow me to my new location (about 3 hours away). It was easily the most infuriating phone call of my life. The guy I talked to was an ******* from the start and basically tried to place the blame on me. All in all, it was a miserable experience.

Shortly afterward, I did a little digging and found I was far from alone with brake issues and Uhaul. There were numerous cases of brake failure around that period due to age and lack of proper maintenance.

I rarely have vendettas against cerain companies, but **** Uhaul. They will never get another dime from me.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Drove em for a job in high school at a rental place... not sure I'd do it through mountains, but if you've driven big vehicles before it's not too tough. Tough to find parking, and hairpin turns are tough.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Drove em for a job in high school at a rental place... not sure I'd do it through mountains, but if you've driven big vehicles before it's not too tough. Tough to find parking, and hairpin turns are tough.

Eastern Montana so more like North Dakota than western Montana.

Used to drive my dad's 1500 gallon fuel delivery truck but that was before most people on CF were born so it's been awhile. At least I won't be messing around with that two speed axle stuff. :rolleyes:

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
One of the biggest problems with Uhaul is that they basically let anyone with a pulse operate a rental facility. So there is no standard safety or quality expectations. Some of the places you see Uhauls available are sketchy as hell.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Glad I didn't see this thread a couple weeks ago. Just rode and briefly drove a 26' fully loaded UHaul 1500 miles. It was a little bumpy and I thought the braking was poor when I drove and the ABS light came on a couple times but I expected it to not brake well with the weight. Lucky to get up to 55 mph on the hills or just watch the fuel gauge plummet. Driving it isn't that bad if you look ahead and pick good stops. Had some trouble at one stop blocking a bit of a busy road and station but what can you do.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Drove a 26' Penske when we moved back from Wichita. Wasn't too bad and I think it had cruise but maybe I am making that up. Had an issue with needing to stop randomly once because it had to go through regeneration. Thankfully my dad was following me so I had some company while I chilled at the Lamoni rest area.

Got back on the road and we get almost to Osceola and all of a sudden I lose almost all engine power so I am now going 25 MPH up 35. Limp a mile or so up to the exit and call their roadside assistance. Apparently the clamp on the blower hose came off. Put a new one on and we were back on the road.

You're Penske Material!!!

a1Jeu6I.gif

• Funny
Reactions: MeanDean and wxman1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well it won't handle like your daily driver or weekend special. But I'm guessing it won't be too bad unless really windy.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Eastern Montana so more like North Dakota than western Montana.

Used to drive my dad's 1500 gallon fuel delivery truck but that was before most people on CF were born so it's been awhile. At least I won't be messing around with that two speed axle stuff. :rolleyes:
You strike me as someone who would be fine. Usually it takes people maybe 20 minutes to adjust but at the end of the day it's just driving.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I ordered one of their smallest trucks (14 ft I think), but when I arrived to pick up they we're out. All they had was one of their biggest (26 ft I think). So the thing was way less than half full. It felt squirrely as hell driving it. Think part of the problem was the load was so light. You'll be fine driving the interstate, it's driving in busy metro areas that's really nerve racking. You'll be fine as long as you dont drive like a jackass.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron