Any updates on Ames Flooding?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I worked for Hallett while all that fill was being mined. One day last spring when it was raining like today some guy from the contractor doing the earth work called complaining that the fill was too wet. My boss told him if he wanted it any drier that day he'd better come stand on top of the pile with an umbrella.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Now.... its not like I'm a big Wal Mart fan. I only asked about Wal Mart because it is a brand new building and they put it in the most idoitic spot you could in Ames.
Apparently not as idiotic of a spot as O'malley McGees or the Boys and Girls club etc.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Apparently not as idiotic of a spot as O'malley McGees or the Boys and Girls club etc.

Apparently not... Just saying if I am building a new business, I would probably find a place that isn't that high risk. The older businesses are in bad locations. The whole area is a flood plain.

I guess I wouldn't spend millions of dollars for that ground and building site.

Just my idea.

birdflu

Nov 14, 2006
Iowa
Let´s hope this doesn´t come to pass. That is my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. Did they mention moving or anything like that? :sad:
ITA. I will be so sad if they close for good. Their Mahi Mahi tacos and fajitas are awesome. They should move to West Ames- by that new hotel they are building ...and closer to my residence:yes:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
How do the 13th Street softball fields look?

I haven't been to Ames since our honeymoon and really have no idea how bad it was.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
How do the 13th Street softball fields look?

I haven't been to Ames since our honeymoon and really have no idea how bad it was.

I haven't looked at them up close, but just driving by them they look OK. Just really damp--well, really damp now that it's raining again. I even saw some kids playing on one of the fields on the south side of the street last night.

EDIT -- As Angie said, they were underwater. Deep underwater. But it's gone at least for now. Didn't mean to contradict her.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron