MLB: any one else think the Cardinals

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That's what I see -- it's going to be very tough for any team to compete against this pitching staff

The Cardinals starters have a collective ERA of 3.48 right now. The Cubs starters (including Zambrano) have a collective ERA of 2.97. I do realize that collectively the Cardinals have the best ERA in the league, but that is just because the Cub's bullpen has been awful and has been put into many pressure situations because of the Cubs lack of hitting. The Cubs are looking for bullpen help and have starters they can shop that many teams should be interested in.

I don't think anyone can argue against the Cardinals winning the Central at this point. I do doubt they will "run away" with it. We are 16% done with the season, and there are a lot of things that can happen between now and October 1. I feel like this is the first season in a long time the Cubs have gone the whole first month without a serious injury.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
The Cardinals starters have a collective ERA of 3.48 right now. The Cubs starters (including Zambrano) have a collective ERA of 2.97. I do realize that collectively the Cardinals have the best ERA in the league, but that is just because the Cub's bullpen has been awful and has been put into many pressure situations because of the Cubs lack of hitting. The Cubs are looking for bullpen help and have starters they can shop that many teams should be interested in.

I don't think anyone can argue against the Cardinals winning the Central at this point. I do doubt they will "run away" with it. We are 16% done with the season, and there are a lot of things that can happen between now and October 1. I feel like this is the first season in a long time the Cubs have gone the whole first month without a serious injury.

And after that first month of injury-free play, they find themselves 2 games under .500. That's not a good sign...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
And after that first month of injury-free play, they find themselves 2 games under .500. That's not a good sign...

I agree. Its the offense more than the bullpen. The Cubs have the hitters on this team, they just need to start hitting. Once the weather warms up, they will hopefully start coming around. They have only had 10 of their 22 games at home so far this year, and Wrigley is a lot friendlier in the summer months!

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I agree. Its the offense more than the bullpen. The Cubs have the hitters on this team, they just need to start hitting. Once the weather warms up, they will hopefully start coming around. They have only had 10 of their 22 games at home so far this year, and Wrigley is a lot friendlier in the summer months!

The Cubs will rally like they do every year to finish sub par.

KP44

Apr 24, 2006
Ankeny, IA
While I agree that there is a long ways to go and you can't assume anything, it should be pointed out that the Cards' starters ERA is actually 2.58, and that includes Lohse's 6.55. I think what you did to get the ERA was take the total innings pitched (139.2) and divide by earned runs allowed (40). This is not the correct formula for figuring ERA. You must take the total innings pitched and divide by 9, then divide that number into the total runs allowed.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
While I agree that there is a long ways to go and you can't assume anything, it should be pointed out that the Cards' starters ERA is actually 2.58, and that includes Lohse's 6.55. I think what you did to get the ERA was take the total innings pitched (139.2) and divide by earned runs allowed (40). This is not the correct formula for figuring ERA. You must take the total innings pitched and divide by 9, then divide that number into the total runs allowed.

Yeah, you're right, that is how I was doing it. My bad. So the Cardinals starters have an ERA of 2.59 and the Cubs have an ERA of 3.03. Both are VERY good! If the Cubs start hitting, it will be a fun race to October!

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
The Cardinals win 10-4

Cubs down 7-1

Good chance the cubs will drop 3 games in 3 days to the Cardinals

Cardinals have the best Pitching Coach Ever
He has been amazing over his 30 years with the cards and A's

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Chicago's bullpen is absolutely pathetic. Unless they sign like a whole new bullpen staff, it's over already.

The bullpen is your concern? Its the ******* offense. They don't even hang the flags today because the wind is blowing out so hard and the Cubs cant produce more than one run? Pathetic.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I feel bad for CW. Los Bravos got swept in a 4-game series by the Cards.

sweep.jpg

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
The bullpen is your concern? Its the ******* offense. They don't even hang the flags today because the wind is blowing out so hard and the Cubs cant produce more than one run? Pathetic.

No, it's not my concern. I actually like it, being a Cardinals fan. But yeah, the offense in Chicago is pretty awful too.

I realize they have hitters with track records, but people need to consider that these hitters aren't 27 anymore. The main guys are really gettin' up there.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I think it's safe to say that it's the Cardinal's to lose.
Cubs have shown moments of explosive bats followed by games against Washington and Houston that have made me want to never watch baseball again. Not sure what this season will hold....

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Yes.... Giving up 9 runs in the 9th to the Rockies is pathetic. Franklin is a bum. In the end it won't matter as the AL will just destroy whatever NL team gets in their way in the World Series. It is the standard outcome.

Last edited: