Another B12 win

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
When is a Big 12 team going to have the sack to go schedule USC at the beginning of the year? I would love to see it. OSU scheduled Texas and beat them at their place last year so I guess that equals out the bowl loss.
Nebraska apparently had the sack...and met the same fate.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
If you want to go by who "deserves" to be in this game against Texas you have to throw Utah, the only unbeaten, into the mix.
Utah got their Sugar Bowl. Now whether or not they have won the games to deserve a #1 ranking...

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
You can't be that dumb. I've read plenty of your posts and I know you aren't that dumb. Deserve would be what you did to get there; not what happened once you are there. OSU is a 2 loss #10 team. Boise is a 0 loss #9 team. So either way give Boise the nod.

Alright, give Boise the nod. Over Virginia Tech (three loss BCS team) or Cincinnati (2 loss BCS team).

So, call me stupid all you want. My point is, there are 10 slots for BCS bowl teams. OSU "deserved" just as much (if not more so) than VT or Cincy.

Hawks2405

Jan 6, 2009
You can't be that dumb. I've read plenty of your posts and I know you aren't that dumb. Deserve would be what you did to get there; not what happened once you are there. OSU is a 2 loss #10 team. Boise is a 0 loss #9 team. So either way give Boise the nod.

You can't be that dumb? Who did Boise play to deserve a BCS game? Who do they ever play?

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Look, I hate OSU as much as the next guy. But let's not kid ourselves - if you're upset about TTU and Boise State not getting a shot at a BCS game, blame the two teams who got in who were not in the Top 10.

So please, explain to me why a top 10 team doesn't deserve one of the 10 BCS spots? Because of last year? Alright, take OU out of the BCS then too. Let's give that spot to.... ?

"Deserve" is subjective so there is no sense in arguing.

BCS conference champions should be in BCS bowls.

The BCS rankings were supposed to take bias out of the equation. Look, we all know tOSU was there because of money. Period. tOSU was the only two loss at-large team in the BCS leaving a then undefeated team at home. i can't argue Tech because those are the rules.

Sounds like we are talking more about "entitlement" rather than "deserving".

FYI - The Big Televen was 1-6 this year in bowls. I doubt hindsight 20/20 is a real strong argument for that conference.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Alright, give Boise the nod. Over Virginia Tech (three loss BCS team) or Cincinnati (2 loss BCS team).

So, call me stupid all you want. My point is, there are 10 slots for BCS bowl teams. OSU "deserved" just as much (if not more so) than VT or Cincy.
You have to place the conference champs. The Big 10 got their champ PSU who beat OSU for the right to play in a BCS bowl. So you can't thrown in a conference champ like Cincy. Boise doesn't get a conference tie in so they have to earn a spot. They deserved the BCS bowl over OSU no matter how you slice it.

With that said they need to look at yanking a couple of these conference bowl ties. Cincy didn't deserve it for winning a crap conference.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
You can't be that dumb? Who did Boise play to deserve a BCS game? Who do they ever play?
They went undefeated and proved last year they can play with the big boys in bowl games. If you don't like that then use their #9 rank over OSU's #10.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Give me a break. A loss is a loss and theres nothing else to it. I don't think everyone can schedule USC on their schedule just to prove they have the balls to do it, theres not enough room on their schedule! The fact that two teams made it from a down big ten conference made it into the BCS while teams like Texas Tech and Boise State don't make it in despite being ranked? Texas Tech beat a team (Texas) who just beat the 2 loss Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl. Yes, as I've said, hindsight is 20/20, but Ohio State had two losses regardless of whether it was to USC, South Carolina, or USC-Upstate. Luckily, the Big Ten is still 1-6 in bowl games this year. Congrats Hawks, you've proven well at beating Spurrier's ****'s while the rest of your mediocre conference proves your regular season opposition was not all that difficult.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
You have to place the conference champs. The Big 10 got their champ PSU who beat OSU for the right to play in a BCS bowl. So you can't thrown in a conference champ like Cincy. Boise doesn't get a conference tie in so they have to earn a spot. They deserved the BCS bowl over OSU no matter how you slice it.

With that said they need to look at yanking a couple of these conference bowl ties. Cincy didn't deserve it for winning a crap conference.

No you don't. If a team doesn't deserve to be there, they don't deserve to be there. You can't say "this team had a worse season than this team, but rules say they deserved to be there."

That argument is weak. Again, OSU "deserved" to be there just as much, if not more so, than VT or Cincy, regardless of conference tie-ins.

With that said, I'd be all for the demolition of the BCS. Go back to the Big 4 games, with traditional tie-ins, and then add in 4 other bowl games on a rotating schedule, with two bowls to cover for non-BCS programs. That way, we keep the traditional bowls, and solve the problem of leaving out teams like Utah.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry but 1-6 is horrible. You can cite close losses all day and they are still losses. The big ten CONFERENCE has been bad during the last three bowl seasons.

The big twelve was 4-1 against the big ten this year and the Weak LOL big twelve North was 3-1 against the big ten.

Keep shoveling Hawk fans, because there is no way you are making that turd of a conference look good. The big ten was horrible this year.

The big twelve conference will once again end the bowl season with a winning record. You guys do make me laugh though with your close game comments. It's funny how those same arguments don't apply to the Iowa/ ISU game that was decided on a BS helmet to helmet call as ISU was working Iowa in the second half.

Too funny. By your logic ISU could easily have beaten Iowa this year. But somehow I'll bet you don't see it that way. Ironic.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Judging by that post and your signature you need this site.
For the sake of the rest of the readers, I will address any response that I have to your efforts to make this a personal issue between the two of us in a PM.

As for the football argument, I maintain that certain Iowa State fans have become so blinded by their hatred of the Big Ten that they will find any excuse they can to discredit it. I don't care if you hate the Big Ten. That's your prerogative. But to act as if Iowa State fans have something that we can hold over Ohio State simply because one of our fellow conference members beat the Buckeyes in a bowl game strikes me as ridiculous.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Iowa just went 9-4, lost all four games by a combined 12 points, three of the teams were ranked at the end of the year and we turned the ball over 5 times at home against NW which took Missouri to overtime. Want me to go on? We also beat the same Penn State team that destroyed Oregon State. I would like to see any Big 12 team go into Pasadena and play a home game with USC at the end of the season. Good luck with that one! Rip on Iowa all you want but I still find it hilarious and very cute. 2-10 and you don't win a single game in your conference yet still talk smack. Amazing.

Your team struggled mightily, at home, to the worst team in the Big12. It also took a BS call and a punt return to win. At home.

The great thing about being a Cyclone fan, is that we honestly know who we are. Most of us went to ISU or have close ties to the university. We know our team wasn't any good last fall. We were there.

Sad thing is, our "poor" team gave your "great" team all it could handle on its home field. And, you tied for scoring the least amount of points on us. Congratulations.

Now, you are here, on a Cyclone site, for what reason I cannot understand. No matter what you say or do, the Big10 has been overrated in football for years.

1-6 dude. Most here thought that Iowa would be the only team to win, it was that obvious that their competition wasn't much. But yeah, Hawks are awesome!

Reactions: Haverhill

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Your team struggled mightily, at home, to the worst team in the Big12. It also took a BS call and a punt return to win. At home.

The great thing about being a Cyclone fan, is that we honestly know who we are. Most of us went to ISU or have close ties to the university. We know our team wasn't any good last fall. We were there.

Sad thing is, our "poor" team gave your "great" team all it could handle on its home field. And, you tied for scoring the least amount of points on us. Congratulations.

Now, you are here, on a Cyclone site, for what reason I cannot understand. No matter what you say or do, the Big10 has been overrated in football for years.

1-6 dude. Most here thought that Iowa would be the only team to win, it was that obvious that their competition wasn't much. But yeah, Hawks are awesome!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
When is a Big 12 team going to have the sack to go schedule USC at the beginning of the year? I would love to see it. OSU scheduled Texas and beat them at their place last year so I guess that equals out the bowl loss.

Nebraska played at USC in 2006 and hosted them in Lincoln in 2007, and lost both games. As much as it pains me to praise Nebraska, they did have the "sack" to play USC, if that's what you're going to use as your metric of a team's worthiness.

And Texas played at OSU in 2005, and beat them (Vince Young NC season). And OSU played at Texas in 2006 (Colt McCoy was a freshman) and won. So if anything, Texas is 2-1 against Ohio State in recent years, not "equaling out the bowl loss."

Why are you here?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
For the sake of the rest of the readers, I will address any response that I have to your efforts to make this a personal issue between the two of us in a PM.

As for the football argument, I maintain that certain Iowa State fans have become so blinded by their hatred of the Big Ten that they will find any excuse they can to discredit it. I don't care if you hate the Big Ten. That's your prerogative. But to act as if Iowa State fans have something that we can hold over Ohio State simply because one of our fellow conference members beat the Buckeyes in a bowl game strikes me as ridiculous.

No one is saying Iowa State has something on OSU. I get tired of Hawk fans and their straw man arguments. You can't disagree that the Big 12 is a superior conference to the Big 10 this year, so you pull out the "Oh yeah, well ISU is 2-10." We're all die-hard Cyclones. We know ISU had a bad team this year. That's not what this thread is about. If you want to start a thread about how bad ISU football was, feel free. But the discussion here is that the Big 12 out-performed the Big 10 this year. I guarantee if the Big 12 has a bad season you won't see ISU fans whining and coming up with excuses. We'll admit when our team is bad or when the conference is weak. If it hurts that much to admit the Big 10 is a weak football conference right now then don't post on this thread.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
No one is saying Iowa State has something on OSU. I get tired of Hawk fans and their straw man arguments. You can't disagree that the Big 12 is a superior conference to the Big 10 this year, so you pull out the "Oh yeah, well ISU is 2-10." We're all die-hard Cyclones. We know ISU had a bad team this year. That's not what this thread is about. If you want to start a thread about how bad ISU football was, feel free. But the discussion here is that the Big 12 out-performed the Big 10 this year. I guarantee if the Big 12 has a bad season you won't see ISU fans whining and coming up with excuses. We'll admit when our team is bad or when the conference is weak. If it hurts that much to admit the Big 10 is a weak football conference right now then don't post on this thread.
You must have me mistaken for a Big Ten apologist. :no: Just because I defended Ohio State's inclusion in the BCS doesn't make me a fan. In fact, as I said before, I can't stand Ohio State. I have no problem with Texas beating them.

And additionally, just because I don't like Ohio State doesn't mean that I am going to question their legitimacy. They have a strong football program, and their track record of success is something that at least 9 of the 12 schools in our conference would love to have. Several posters took what I considered to be ill-informed or intentionally misleading shots at Ohio State's credentials, and I responded.

As for the question of whether the Big 12 is better than the Big Ten -- which was never put forth in this thread in such a straightforward manner until you just did -- that's obvious. The Big 12 is better this year, no question. But these things are cyclical, and I don't expect the Big 12 to always be better than the Big Ten. So I don't gloat or act superior -- because what goes around comes around. Besides, it's not like anything Iowa State did this year contributed to the dominance. :dull:

Last edited: