Another B12 win

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
It doesn't matter how close the game was. How many times does OSU get to lose these BCS games?

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Ohio St had a great game plan. Blitz, blitz and blitz. This reinforces my thought that Tressel is the best coach in the Big 10 and it is not close. I know he has tons of talent but look how he changes the offense depending on the QB. (not just this season but in the past 6-7 years) Tressel gets the most out of each QB's skills. His teams are sound defensively and on special teams. You are going to win lots of games that way, regardless of talent.

The Vest had a great offensive game plan with the QB's. The blitz, blitz, blitz scheme ended up costing them the game. He wins Big Televen games with talent and loses bowl games with coaching.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
The problem with your arguments is that you fail to give credit where credit is due. The reason McGahee broke his leg is because of a great hit by lb Matt Wilhelm, and its not OSU's fault that the Miami cb had to cheat and pushoff to keep the OSU receiver from scoring. Alot of times opponents claim OSU is lucky because the opponent made mistakes allowing OSU to win....well they made mistakes because OSU forced the mistakes because they were the better team. The big 10 has been down recently, but that does not abolish all of their efforts. Be reasonable.

That PI call was ridiculous. I'll give you the point about McGhee. The only person that mentioned "luck" in this thread was you. The Big Televen and tOSU is down and they have been down. Just own it and we are on the same page.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
An Iowa State fan criticizing Ohio State's performance in big games?? :confused: That's classic! :biglaugh: I would kill for Iowa State to achieve the same level of "failure" that Ohio State's program has.

Leave the Clones out of this and let us enjoy what little we have this season.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I don't believe they deserve to be in the last three bowl game because they feast on a weak conference, are routinely overrated, and even this year they were ranked behind Boise State in the final BCS standings. I think they played their hearts out tonight. To your point about OU, I think it should have been UT so in effect I don't believe they deserve to be there. I think OU gets some of the same good ole boy votes that tOSU does but in most years I think they are more deserving due to their conference slate. Put OU or UT for that matter in the Big Televen and you would have the Pac-10...One and the rest.
If you really think Texas would not have any competition in the big 12, than you apparently watched a different game than I did tonite.

Last year OSU overachieved big time to make it to the championship game...I was pretty proud of their efforts. Had any of the 5 other heavyweight teams not lost on the last weekend than OSU would not have played in that game, but that is not OSU's fault that other teams didn't take care of their business. OSU was unbeaten going into the game against Florida...no debating they deserved to be there....including a road victory over Texas (remember).

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I don't know... maybe as many as Oklahoma? Ohio State is now 4-3 in BCS games. Oklahoma is 2-4. Who deserves to get kicked out first?
I'll give you that; OU shouldn't have even been playing in the Big 12 title game. The big difference is OSU beat no one to get to this game. OU deserved it way more. OSU shouldn't be able to lose to the only 2 good teams they played this year, be on a BCS bowl skid, and get another chance.

SgtPepper

Jan 6, 2009
The Pac-10 is 5-0 in their bowl games; including wins against the Big 10 and Big XII.
The Pac Ten has pathetic bowl tie-ins that leads them to play generally poor teams. Not to mention the atrocious bottom of the Pac Ten is the reason they are the worst conference. The bowls do not change that.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
The Pac-10 is 5-0 in their bowl games; including wins against the Big 10 and Big XII.

I stand corrected. I apologize for insulting the Pac-10 with the comparison. That was a low blow. how about it would be like Justin Timberlake versus the rest of N'SYNC?

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
The Pac Ten has pathetic bowl tie-ins that leads them to play generally poor teams. Not to mention the atrocious bottom of the Pac Ten is the reason they are the worst conference. The bowls do not change that.

Spin it however you want. I couldn't care less about the Pac-10. I was merely pointing out they were undefeated in their bowl games.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
National Champions = Utah

If they haven't played anyone and you don't put them up against the best, how do we prove they aren't the best?

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
If you really think Texas would not have any competition in the big 12, than you apparently watched a different game than I did tonite.

Last year OSU overachieved big time to make it to the championship game...I was pretty proud of their efforts. Had any of the 5 other heavyweight teams not lost on the last weekend than OSU would not have played in that game, but that is not OSU's fault that other teams didn't take care of their business. OSU was unbeaten going into the game against Florida...no debating they deserved to be there....including a road victory over Texas (remember).

I believe UT would dominate the Big Televen. tOSU is the only team that even comes close to matching their overall team speed year in and year out.

I can't argue your second point about tOSU last year (especially considering I don't believe there were any arrests or investigations) but that only proves my point more. The Big Televen is not an elite conference. They are not as good as the Big 12 or SEC. I really don't feel like I am going out on a limb here.

Last edited:

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Taking pleasure in the misery of other football programs? Wow! We've apparently reached a new low, even for us. Don't let me stop your revelry. Snivel away!

"Even for us?" Jeezus dude. I know we can be a little self depricating but that is a flat out self image problem. Look in the mirror with a Cyclone jersey and tell yourself you love you. I am enjoying a confernec win over a rival conference. And I think tOUSU is overrated and dirty so yes I root against them. It's called sports.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I'll give you that; OU shouldn't have even been playing in the Big 12 title game. The big difference is OSU beat no one to get to this game. OU deserved it way more. OSU shouldn't be able to lose to the only 2 good teams they played this year, be on a BCS bowl skid, and get another chance.
I don't completely disagree with you on that, but let me play devil's advocate. Outside of the BCS Championship Game, the BCS officials and their bowl game partners care about one thing only in choosing the at-large selections for the BCS games -- money. And Ohio State practically guarantess them money because (1) the Buckeyes provide good television ratings, and (2) the Ohio State fans descend like a swarm of locusts on whatever city is hosting their bowl game and drop serious coin into the local economy.

Why do the Buckeyes generate TV ratings? Why do they have so many fans who make Ohio State an attractive draw for any bowl game? Because the football team has won a whole heckuva lot of football games over the years and has been ridiculously successful. They're easily one of the top teams football programs in the country, year in and year out. And it's been that way for like a hundred years. So, maybe they do "deserve" to be there.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
That PI call was ridiculous. I'll give you the point about McGhee. The only person that mentioned "luck" in this thread was you. The Big Televen and tOSU is down and they have been down. Just own it and we are on the same page.
Reread my post that you responded to and you have your answer. I already said that the big 10 was down...but that doesn't abolish all of there efforts. OSU's program is in very good shape....even through attrition of coaches they have managed to field a good team every year. Not many programs can say that. So no, I don't think OSU is down. Look, they can't be in national championship form every year. Is that what you expect? If so, I appreciate the complement. I think the ceiling is pretty high on Pryor too....more good things to come.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I don't completely disagree with you on that, but let me play devil's advocate. Outside of the BCS Championship Game, the BCS officials and their bowl game partners care about one thing only in choosing the at-large selections for the BCS games -- money. And Ohio State practically guarantess them money because (1) the Buckeyes provide good television ratings, and (2) the Ohio State fans descend like a swarm of locusts on whatever city is hosting their bowl game and drop serious coin into the local economy.

Why do the Buckeyes generate TV ratings? Why do they have so many fans who make Ohio State an attractive draw for any bowl game? Because the football team has won a whole heckuva lot of football games over the years and has been ridiculously successful. They're easily one of the top teams football programs in the country, year in and year out. And it's been that way for like a hundred years. So, maybe they do "deserve" to be there.

Miles Brand is tearing up with pride right now.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah, seriously...you guys come up with all kinds of creative arguments to try and convince yourselves that anyone in the big 10 deserves nothing.

The Big Ten got exactly what it deserved...1-6 in the bowls. Now, it's time for all the Big Ten lovers to crawl back into their holes until next year's bowl season melt down...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron