MLB: Andrew McCutchen (possible) Trade

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I was hoping Cutch would follow along the lines of Tony Gwynn, George Brett, and Roberto Clemente. Now it's looking like he'll be traded to the Nats for a boatload of prospects. As a Pirates fan...I get it. It's also one huge kick to the stones to lose the face of the franchise.

It's not done yet but sounds inevitable. Sigh.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
As probably the only other Bucs fan on CF, that is a bummer. But they have to keep the farm system rolling, only way they can sustain success on a small payroll.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Why right now? The article I read said that he's coming off his worst statistical season. Wouldn't they get a better return if they waited until next season when he's returned to form?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Why trade him? He's got just two years of control. That extra year gets him a few great prospects in itself. If the Pirates aren't expecting to compete next year, get rid of him now.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
The Pirates have two years under control of his (very team friendly) contract. This alone will bring back a good haul of prospects.

The Pirates are loaded in the OF but have gaps in their starting rotation. If they can get top-level pitching this will be a good time to deal Cutch. That's a pretty big if though...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I was hoping Cutch would follow along the lines of Tony Gwynn, George Brett, and Roberto Clemente. Now it's looking like he'll be traded to the Nats for a boatload of prospects. As a Pirates fan...I get it. It's also one huge kick to the stones to lose the face of the franchise.

It's not done yet but sounds inevitable. Sigh.

I'm a Cubs fan and this is sad to me. Cutch seems like a great guy and he really seems like he wanted to win with the Pirates. They were actually playing pretty well a few years ago, but it fell apart fast.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
They might as well get something for him. They have shown the ability to build a solid team in the past 5 seasons and this gives them the ability to continue.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Why right now? The article I read said that he's coming off his worst statistical season. Wouldn't they get a better return if they waited until next season when he's returned to form?

Well for one thing, I think they realized that the best they can do the next couple of years is fight for a wild card spot and then how much sense to make to go that route where you know best case scenario your season is going to come down to one game. It seems like selling the present to better prepare for the future makes sense on that level. The Cubs getting so good, so fast, really closed Pittsburgh's window of contention.

Also, if they wait for him to bounce back, then he's getting closer to free agency and there's also the risk he doesn't bounce back. You can write off one year as an aberration, but two in a row is a lot harder to explain.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Well for one thing, I think they realized that the best they can do the next couple of years is fight for a wild card spot and then how much sense to make to go that route where you know best case scenario your season is going to come down to one game. It seems like selling the present to better prepare for the future makes sense on that level. The Cubs getting so good, so fast, really closed Pittsburgh's window of contention.

Also, if they wait for him to bounce back, then he's getting closer to free agency and there's also the risk he doesn't bounce back. You can write off one year as an aberration, but two in a row is a lot harder to explain.

Makes sense. I guess if they think this is the start of a long decline and not just a down year then there is no better time to move him. Tough to be a small market team in the MLB, I suppose.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Makes sense. I guess if they think this is the start of a long decline and not just a down year then there is no better time to move him. Tough to be a small market team in the MLB, I suppose.

It is, I think the Pirates current front office is smart and well run considering they financial restraints their owner has give them. Smart, small market teams can beat dumb big money teams, but the Pirates just happen to be in a division with a suddenly very smart, very big money juggernaut that is blocking their path to anything beyond a wild card for the near future.