And that's how you defuse the blowback (Isheem Young)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Interesting that some of these articles by Peterson don't seem to be showing up in the actual Register newspaper, but only on the website.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Interesting that some of these articles by Peterson don't seem to be showing up in the actual Register newspaper, but only on the website.

Well it is 2019. The last paper I looked at didn't have much in it, don't know why people would waste their money on it.

• Winner
Reactions: kilroy

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Randy, I don't think you mean to do this on purpose but seriously, Go cover Iowa. Nothing like putting Armed Robbery at the top of the title for ISU and Campbell.

Absolutely, he did it on purpose! Newspapers are dying everywhere and journalists are getting cut across the nation. It's all about the clickbait. It's the same reason he tweets out his stories 20 times a day in one fashion or another. It's survival mode; he's doing whatever he can to catch readers' attention...

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and 67CY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Was the Randy article totally predictable the minute he learned Young had signed? Yes, comes with territory.
Can we expect Randy continue to bring up this kid's past at every opportunity? Yes, unfortunately he'll hang on to this like dog with a bone.

Was I surprised CMC signed Young? Yes. He didn't need to take this on.
Am I pumped that Isheem will be wearing Cardinal and Gold? Absolutely. CMC will coach him up to be a great Cyclone and student in FocusTown.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
A few thoughts:

• Randy writes the stories, but someone else at the Register writes the headlines.
  • I have no problem with the story. It's newsworthy, and the facts are accurate.
  • I'd much rather have it brought out in the open than trying to cover it up. It will soon be forgotten after the next couple of news cycles.
  • I think the chances of this young man making the most of his opportunity are very good, and it will reflect positively on Campbell. However, if he gets into trouble while he's at ISU, it will reflect very poorly on Campbell. It's a calculated risk, but I'm guessing it's a good risk.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A few thoughts:

• Randy writes the stories, but someone else at the Register writes the headlines.
  • I have no problem with the story. It's newsworthy, and the facts are accurate.
  • I'd much rather have it brought out in the open than trying to cover it up. It will soon be forgotten after the next couple of news cycles.
  • I think the chances of this young man making the most of his opportunity are very good, and it will reflect positively on Campbell. However, if he gets into trouble while he's at ISU, it will reflect very poorly on Campbell. It's a calculated risk, but I'm guessing it's a good risk.
I think people are overestimating how poorly it will reflect on Campbell if he screws up. If he does Campbell sends him packing and talks about how disappointing it is that he didn't capitalize on the opportunity he was given. The only way it really blows up is if he does something REALLY stupid - Mackian* in scale.

By that I mean:
Screen_Shot_2018_05_23_at_12.12.07_PM.0.png

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe and flycy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think people are overestimating how poorly it will reflect on Campbell if he screws up. If he does Campbell sends him packing and talks about how disappointing it is that he didn't capitalize on the opportunity he was given. The only way it really blows up is if he does something REALLY stupid - Mackian* in scale.

By that I mean:
Screen_Shot_2018_05_23_at_12.12.07_PM.0.png

Yeah, obviously, the kid is coming in with two strikes. But the only way it really reflects poorly on Campbell is if he commits a major crime...burglary or worse. If he is caught underage in the bar, or gets in a fight at a house party, or just gets bad grades, he's likely gone and then it's "We gave the kid a chance and he didn't live up to his end of the bargain". Oh well.

BTW, the reason I posted the article had nothing to do with Randy Peterson or the headline. It was Campbell getting in front of the (deserved) questions and criticism and not just staying silent.

Reactions: VeloClone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Did they really put “diffuse the blowback” in a headline?

If so, what a bunch of ****.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Randy, I don't think you mean to do this on purpose but seriously, Go cover Iowa. Nothing like putting Armed Robbery at the top of the title for ISU and Campbell.

I beg to differ, I think he does. Controversy and or titles like that, sells papers.

• Winner
Reactions: 67CY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What are you all whining about? There was nothing wrong with that article.

I trust Campbell’s evaluations of people and decision process with recruits. Excited to add Young to the squad.

That was a poorly written article that raised all the inflammatory questions in the opening paragraphs before finally turning it over to CMC and listening to why they wanted the kid.

There is nothing TO the story but the story was written to cast aspersions on CMC's recruiting and our program.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
A few thoughts:

Nonsense on your last point. Just nonsense. If you don't know the measure of CMC and his judge of character and talent by now, you will never understand the true measure of that man.

I'd put our program up against ANY program when comparing character and we'd win WAY more often than not. I'd put the integrity of CMC and JP up against ANYBODY in or out of sports and can't think of a single time we'd lose.

• Agree
Reactions: tolfbfan

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Agree. This is a really serious lapse, one which almost cost this guy a chance to play football and one which could have landed him in jail for a LONG time. If Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, (insert any other school) had signed him, you guys would have been outraged and saying that you were glad we had a coach like Matt Campbell who would never do this.
Well, lets take a moment for a brief review on Campbell. Mike Johnson got in trouble two years ago, and was a good player; got booted. Quran Hafiz was set to commit here by all accounts before his offer was pulled after the report from Minnesota came out during his recruiting weekend. I'll trust his judgement based off the fact he has proven to not take talented players because of off the field issues in the past.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Not nearly as bad as the “What does THT think of the Wall” clickbait tweet from a few weeks ago.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
On the surface, I would not have signed this kid but we do not have the same information that CMC has. He met Young and people close to him. I’m sure he has a very good feel for this situation and would not take the kid unless he felt the risk was low.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Nonsense on your last point. Just nonsense. If you don't know the measure of CMC and his judge of character and talent by now, you will never understand the true measure of that man.

I'd put our program up against ANY program when comparing character and we'd win WAY more often than not. I'd put the integrity of CMC and JP up against ANYBODY in or out of sports and can't think of a single time we'd lose.

I doubt this would happen, but what if this young man ever did something really stupid while at ISU, like rob someone else at gun point? You can be assured it would reflect very badly on Campbell.

Like I said, it's a calculated risk, and probably a good risk based on what Campbell knows about this young man and his family. Nevertheless, it's a risk.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My 2 cents:
Campbell has shown himself to be a no-nonsense guy, and has even pissed some of us off because he was "too harsh". Remember the four guys with the bb guns? I have not received the impression that he will sweep anything & everything under the rug for the sake of charting up more wins.

I have no reason to not trust his judgment. He is closer to the kid and better informed than any of us. He will be working with the kid closely. It's a risk, but I trust Campbell's feel for his players. Most of the time, these kids just need a second chance. And if he misjudged the kid's character, I trust he will deal with it in a manner that protects the team and the university.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I doubt this would happen, but what if this young man ever did something really stupid while at ISU, like rob someone else at gun point? You can be assured it would reflect very badly on Campbell.

Like I said, it's a calculated risk, and probably a good risk based on what Campbell knows about this young man and his family. Nevertheless, it's a risk.

There are scads of programs where that exact thing happened and nothing. Baylor player killed another player and that program is fine. Penn st raped boys and that program is fine. Nebraska, OU, countless others.

The magic is the accountability and CMC will ensure that is priority 1.

When you find a truly decent human being that spends hours and hours and hours getting to know a young man, his coaches, his HS teammates and teachers, his family - THAT man is in a better position to determine who fits our school and comes with a high, high amount of character and integrity. When you FIND that man, you trust that man.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm the churchiest guy on this board when it comes to character and leadership and this signing gives me no paws / pause. Both words work.

Some of the overly moral orals seem to have little knowledge of the history of true transgressions in football and can't see this for what it is - a kid like every one of us who made a really bad mistake but was lucky enough to have people in his corner - including the prosecutors and the judge - who knew that event didn't define the kid.

I would be embarrassed - even on this anonymous chat board - to list out my true mistakes and those stupid, stupid things I did. I was detained more than a few times so I've been "in the system" albeit it was WDM in the 80s but had even 1 of my mistakes been officially adjudicated I'd have a far different, less impactful life. I don't know if everyone deserves a second chance, but I bless every day the folks in the legal profession that had the opportunity to arrest me but perhaps saw I was a kid who didn't fit the description of what I did.

Look at CMC, look at what he stands for, look how he has treated each and every kid in his program - fairly, harshly (in his words), and with the goal of helping these kids become functioning young adults who understand the value of work, team, and education.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
here's my issue with the story...

when you're covering a "kid", you kind of lead with the positive first. I'm not sure I would have chosen to lead with "Armed Robbery" as much as I might have led with the notion that he's a top recruit with multiple offers at big schools...because frankly, I think some of those schools regularly get kids like this.

THEN, I would have sewn in his past...because it's his f'ing past. If all that RP wrote is factual, then it's appropriate...but he's not going to win a f'ing Pulitzer covering ISU so why be a richard to a kid and make him a criminal first.

He's a kid who plays footbal...he's good...and he's done some **** he shouldn't have.

My issue with RP is he looks for reaction first. Tell the story. The story STARTS with being a recruit and landing at ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron