An honest discussion: what happened to Greg McDermott at ISU?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Some people are just better fitted to coach at mid-major levels.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
It was a long five years.

Exactly....like some have said before, yes he can coach, but only a certain type of player

How do you not win with Wesley Johnson, Craig Brackins, Diante Garret, Mike Taylor, Marquis Gilstrap, the list goes on and on

At one point I know Taylor, Brackins and Johnson were on the same team along with some other decent players. If you cant win with that type of talent.....you just ain't the right fit.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Exactly....like some have said before, yes he can coach, but only a certain type of player

How do you not win with Wesley Johnson, Craig Brackins, Diante Garret, Mike Taylor, Marquis Gilstrap, the list goes on and on

At one point I know Taylor, Brackins and Johnson were on the same team along with some other decent players. If you cant win with that type of talent.....you just ain't the right fit.

Taylor and Brackins were never on the same team.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
he thought he was smarter than everyone. Can't win in the Big 12 with MVC players. The types of kids that go to Big 12 schools aren't the type that can be talked to like you can to MVC players.
What do you mean?

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
His style can't win consistently in the big12. He continued recruiting players that didn't fit his style, they would transfer, the team would lose. Thank you Creighton!
His style is similar to Izzo@Michigan St.

Last edited:

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I'm not even sure you can say McDermott can only coach high IQ players. Do you really consider Wesley Johnson, Craig Brackins and Diante Garrett unintelligent players? Regarding other possible reasons, you can't say it was a lack of talent, because he brought talent into the program. You can't say McDermott can't coach given the success he has had at UNI and Creighton.

I hate to boil it down to just one event, but I always thought McDermott kind of got away from his own coaching style after Wesley Johnson transferred. From what I understood, because of the foot injury, Johnson felt like he was unfairly pushed too hard by McDermott, and this is what caused him to transfer. As a result of his star player transferring due to this specific reason, I think McDermott decided that he needed to be less of disciplinarian, and because this is not his natural coaching style, he lost his effectiveness as a coach. As others have pointed out, there are examples of coaches being a hard *** while still recruiting elite talent, but due to the Wesley Johnson situation, McDermott reevaluated his coaching style and decided he couldn't do that. I ultimately think he let one really bad situation try to change who he is, and that isn't something you can easily do. It appears as though McDermott has used the new opportunity at Creighton to get back to his natural style of coaching, and it seems to be working. It's too bad he couldn't apply his obvious coaching talents at ISU.

Last edited:

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Taylor and Brackins were never on the same team.

ok im sorry, johnson, brackins and garrett. All three are still playing ball for money somewhere, but we couldn't win in college with those three?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The short version is, the players hated him.

So, no matter how well you run a game, run a practice, etc., you're always pushing a huge boulder up the hill.

The smart___ answer would be don't recruit guys who hate you or grow to hate you.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
He completely and utterly failed, resulting in the wastage of money spent on his salary and in the basketball program sinking to new lows. I don't care how great of a coach he may be, how great of a person he may be, why things didn't work, or what he should have done. He ran ISU's basketball program straight into the ground and I will never forgive him for that failure.

Reactions: joefrog

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Mcdermott started chasing after a few years. Tim Floyd said he went the Juco route when he got to Ames because fans don't understand it takes time to build with the players you coach. Mcdermott tried to build something. It did not work and people started getting impatient. So he started chasing recruits that could come in and contribute like Gilstrap. Everyone built up for one year, The Gilstrap, Garrett, Lucca, and Brackins year. When that year fell apart it was over.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
His style can't win consistently in the big12. He continued recruiting players that didn't fit his style, they would transfer, the team would lose. Thank you Creighton!

Im not saying your wrong, but His Creighton team has beat 3 Big 10 teams so far this year. And will probably at worse split with UNI... And should win the MVC....

I was also thinking the same thing last night as the OP.. But I looked out there on the court and everyone of the guys out there except for his son is a Altman recruit... So I will hold my judgment of him at Creighton for a few more years...

ALSO CANT STAND HUSKER FOOTBALL FAN/CREIGHTON BASKETBALL FAN!!!!!!!

broncocy5321

Dec 1, 2009
Clive
I never understand why his son wasn't recruited to play at ISU. He was the best player in the state behind Harrison. With Doug committing to UNI made me think McD knew he was on his way out early. His son is a complete stud and could play for any D1 school and start.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
McDermott could never seem to field a team that had more than 2 or 3 players that were any good from one year to the next. It is pretty hard to have a good team when you are starting over every year. Is he a good coach? Well probalby better than a lot of us give hime credit for, but being able to recruit and keep players in your program is part of the deal. It is unfortunate, but things just did not work for him at ISU, and I don't think they would have gotten any better if he would have stayed.

Lets not forget that his son is a darn good BB player. Sometimes one really good guy surrounded by some decent players is all it takes to win, especially in the MVC.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I never understand why his son wasn't recruited to play at ISU. He was the best player in the state behind Harrison. With Doug committing to UNI made me think McD knew he was on his way out early. His son is a complete stud and could play for any D1 school and start.

The reason has been stated approximately 100 times.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Coach Mac was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet off the court. For some reason, he was never able to get his feet off of the ground. Whether it was his system or the players, it doesn't really matter that much. When an offer came for him to take a coaching job elsewhere, he took it. It benefitted both parties and allowed he and ISU to mutually move on with their programs/careers......I'm still waiting for the fans to follow suit.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! WHY post this here?

Once again, we get to hear a sermon from the GMac fanboys on how he's a great coach and all the players he recruited with any talent whatsoever were thugs? Why can't we just admit that defending GMac and throwing ISU players under the bus go hand in hand? Of course, considering that our coach called his own damn press conference to throw players under the bus, it's not a shock that his fanboys do the same thing.

And comparing GMac to Izzo and Coach K? In the words of Sesame Street....."one of these things is NOT like the others" (HINT: the "different" one doesn't have any NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP trophies in his trophy case)

GMac is not our coach anymore (in case you didn't notice), so please take your damn whining to the Creighton messageboard and leave us be.