An Actual Positive Column From ESPN

Jun 14, 2010
This board may be rough Saturday night. I do not see us winning.
Win or lose, we just need to stick with it. This staff will get us to where we want to go.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Iowa State has beaten Iowa before. The national media treated the wins as "well, anything can happen in a rivalry game." In other words, they treated it more like a fluke win.

Yeah, for the same reasons why iowa fans say that they have nothing to gain by playing ISU, ISU has little to gain by playing iowa. If ISU wins, they don't get any national respect because it's a rivalry game and people write it off as such.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
As I've heard CPR say several times over the past two years: "It's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as is seems." Right now, I think we should all take note that we're in the "It's never as good as it seems" stage.

After a bad loss to Iowa, there were some "Chicken Little" reactions around here ("the sky is falling..."). Suddenly, after one win (and a very enjoyable one, at that) this ISU program has a very legitimate chance to knock off a top 10 team?

It's possible, but if it doesn't happen, or even worse, if we end up losing badly, let's all remember that CPR is building the program the right way; It's a marathon, not a sprint! And "It's never as bad as it might seem"

That being said.......let's go get this W!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonestate78

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
IMO if we beat Iowa, no matter their ranking, people always chalk it up to a rivalry game and we don't get respect for being a decent team. If we would happen to beat a team like Utah then people can't really use those excuses for why we won.
No but people will claim Utah is a paper tiger and their record is a result of an easy schedule.
Unless of course Utah loses to us and then wins out

salUTE65

Oct 3, 2010
Farmington, Utah
www.utefans.net
This board may be rough Saturday night. I do not see us winning.
Win or lose, we just need to stick with it. This staff will get us to where we want to go.

This is interesting to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rhoads is in his 2nd year as HC right? I know nothing about ISU football history, except for I don't think ISU has really been at the top of the food chain lately. Last year's victory in Lincoln must surely be considered a signature win for ISU under Rhoads since Nebraska was pretty good. Also, I heard that it was ISU's first win in Lincoln in a long long time. As ISU fans, what is it that you like most about Rhoads and the direction he's taking this program. Are you as a fanbase feeling like things are really headed in the right direction under your HC? Also, what do you guys believe is your benchmark for success. Is it being viewed as on par with Iowa? Or is it being able to consistently compete for the Big 12 title? Or maybe a combination of both?

Last edited:

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
If ISU wins this game, the legend of Paul Rhoads grows immensely. Might have to start calling him Paul Bunyan!

I feels it will be exceedingly hard for ISU to rack up BIG back to back wins with this team. They still have little room for error. With that said, If the clones win it will create a buzz in the B12 with 3 straight home wins. The B12 media would certainly give them some dap.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is interesting to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rhoads is in his 2nd year as HC right? I know nothing about ISU football history, except for I don't think ISU has really been at the top of the food chain lately. Last year's victory in Lincoln must surely be considered a signature win for ISU under Rhoads since Nebraska was pretty good last year. Also, I heard that it was ISU's first win in Lincoln in a long long time. As ISU fans, what is it that you like most about Rhoads and the direction he's taking this program. Are you as a fanbase feeling like things are really headed in the right direction under your HC? Also, what do you guys believe is your benchmark for success. Is it being viewed as on par with Iowa? Or is it being able to consistently compete for the Big 12 title? Or maybe a combination of both?

Signature win might be an understatement - I don't think there's been a single televised game since that hasn't pimped this locker room video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcKiMy0Gp4]YouTube - Iowa State postgame lockeroom celebration vs. Nebraska (10-24-09)[/ame]

Right now Ames and most of the state of Iowa (at least those that don't have their heads completely shoved completely shoved up their black-and-gold-colored-arses) are infatuated with CPR, and the national media becomes more and more curious with each and every passing ISU surprise win. If ISU continues seeing improvement and success under CPR, he's going to become a national media obsession.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Are you as a fanbase feeling like things are really headed in the right direction under your HC? Also, what do you guys believe is your benchmark for success. Is it being viewed as on par with Iowa? Or is it being able to consistently compete for the Big 12 title? Or maybe a combination of both?

The bowl win last year probably got the fanbase's expectation up a bit too much. Overall I'd say most feel ISU is on the right track. Dan McCarney was a consistent 7-5 when he had the Clones playing well. I think the fan base would love to get back to that. Bowl games and some respect around the conference.

With the B12 losing its divisions, things get tougher with all the Texas schools on board each and every season.

Personally if Paul Rhoads can just rack up bowl appearance fairly often, make the rest of the conference respect ISU, get a huge upset win each year then I could live with that.

With Texas and Oklahoma and typically 1 more program from the south being very strong each year, its hard to expect competing for conference titles in FB at ISU.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This is interesting to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rhoads is in his 2nd year as HC right? I know nothing about ISU football history, except for I don't think ISU has really been at the top of the food chain lately. Last year's victory in Lincoln must surely be considered a signature win for ISU under Rhoads since Nebraska was pretty good. Also, I heard that it was ISU's first win in Lincoln in a long long time. As ISU fans, what is it that you like most about Rhoads and the direction he's taking this program. Are you as a fanbase feeling like things are really headed in the right direction under your HC? Also, what do you guys believe is your benchmark for success. Is it being viewed as on par with Iowa? Or is it being able to consistently compete for the Big 12 title? Or maybe a combination of both?

Almost everything you need to know about ISU football boils down to the 2004 and 2005 seasons in which on the last play of the last game of the season we bounced ourselves out of the B12 North title and a chance to play for the B12 Championship. Our AD hired someone that he though could teach the program how to finish, instead he set us back to the mid 90's (not good).

Enter CPR,

He's from here and instantly began to rebuild Iowa HS bridges that Chizik had burned. He wants to win badly enough that he hired a top flight OC / DC, not his f***ing fishing buddies and not people who weren't qualified to coach in the BCS. He loves ISU, we love him. He's one of us (former assistant) so he feels our pain and wants to remedy it; not do a good enough job to get a better one.

salUTE65

Oct 3, 2010
Farmington, Utah
www.utefans.net
Enter CPR,

He's from here and instantly began to rebuild Iowa HS bridges that Chizik had burned. He wants to win badly enough that he hired a top flight OC / DC, not his f***ing fishing buddies and not people who weren't qualified to coach in the BCS. He loves ISU, we love him. He's one of us (former assistant) so he feels our pain and wants to remedy it; not do a good enough job to get a better one.

When you say "he's from here," are you referring to him being a former assistant or is he actually from Iowa or an ISU alum?

Also, what do you guys think about what Chizik is doing at Auburn - or is he a meaningless afterthought? Personally, I'm not sold on Auburn yet this year.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Time for people to believe that WE can be on the same field with a top 10 team and have a good chance to win! Change your minds! Believe it! I do. We WILL be in this game. I expect to compete and, I'll say it.....I expect ISU to win!

Reactions: Cyclonestate78
Jun 14, 2010
As ISU fans, what is it that you like most about Rhoads and the direction he's taking this program. Are you as a fanbase feeling like things are really headed in the right direction under your HC?

He has shown he can identify talent, teach athletes to play with discipline & sound fundamentals, stresses work hard in the weight room, and hires quality assistants. Such a simplistic answer should indicate how modest the product on the field was before CPR. Outside of a few geographical regions and revenue brackets, programs do not win by out glitz and glamoring the competition.

I cannot speak for everyone else, but the improvement in play from his players has suggested that CPR realizes that winning football comes down to how well you execute basic things. As such, he has seemingly hired a staff comprising of in-demand coaches- ones that teach as well as himself.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
When you say "he's from here," are you referring to him being a former assistant or is he actually from Iowa or an ISU alum?

Also, what do you guys think about what Chizik is doing at Auburn - or is he a meaningless afterthought? Personally, I'm not sold on Auburn yet this year.

What Cheedik is doing at Auburn is a product of:

A) A recruiting hot bed in his backyard
B) Top Notch and Expensive Assistant Coaches.

It has very little to do with him.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
\

Guy still can't manage a game clock to save his life, and he's gotten freak'n lucky on more than one of his wins this year...

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny

CPR grew up in central Iowa and was and ISU assistant at one point in time,

To your other point, I think most people around here are not sold on Auburn under Chizik. Most people think the guy doesn't deserve to win anywhere because of how he treat the cyclone faithful. Luckily for him, he had a huge amount of money to get the best assistants, and lets be honest, any of us could recruit to a school like Auburn.

Jun 14, 2010

It shows that if you want to take the CEO approach, you need to go to a place where they already have the components for winning football (recruiting base, facilities, fans, etc) and hire good assistants. That said, if you want to win championships, you will need more than Gene Chizik as head coach.

I do not have the disdain for Chizik that some do. He failed to realize what he lacked as a coach and the differences between ISU and UT/Auburn when he began at ISU. After two years, it appears like he was going to fire his buddies and hire coaches that would allow him to be CEO. Imo, he was not looking to leave ISU, but Auburn was one of a few jobs he would leave anywhere for.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
CPR grew up in central Iowa and was and ISU assistant at one point in time,

To your other point, I think most people around here are not sold on Auburn under Chizik. Most people think the guy doesn't deserve to win anywhere because of how he treat the cyclone faithful. Luckily for him, he had a huge amount of money to get the best assistants, and lets be honest, any of us could recruit to a school like Auburn.

Especially when you show up in a Limo with your school's decals on it :rolleyes:

The one thing he DID figure out is that he needed to higher people for the job based on something other than a pact made with some buddies when they all started coaching...

salUTE65

Oct 3, 2010
Farmington, Utah
www.utefans.net
Guy still can't manage a game clock to save his life, and he's gotten freak'n lucky on more than one of his wins this year...

I think so too. Clemson left a W on the field at Auburn. Also, the SEC is not a shining star this year and Auburn has a lighter SEC schedule based on how well their opponents are playing. I don't know if the bottom will fall out on them this year because of their schedule. They'll probably lose to Arkansas, LSU is a pick 'em and they'll for sure lose to 'Bama. I thought they overachieved last year, but ultimately I see them going down the path that Tennessee has been on.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
I see this as a HUGE opportunity for ISU. If we beat Utah, it could greatly accelerate the "building a program is like a marathon" theory and then it's more like a 10K:smile: Let's embrace the opportunity and expect to win!!! PACK the JACK!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

PR graduated for Ankeny HS (valedictorian, no less) a 4A (largest class) school about thirty miles due south from Jack Trice Stadium.

I don't see Chizik winning an SEC title as long as Saban and Meyer are in that league which means he'll be a bust by Auburn's standards. No one misses Gene.