An Actual Positive Column From ESPN

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
When you say "he's from here," are you referring to him being a former assistant or is he actually from Iowa or an ISU alum?

Also, what do you guys think about what Chizik is doing at Auburn - or is he a meaningless afterthought? Personally, I'm not sold on Auburn yet this year.

The guy was born in Nevada, 10 minutes east of Ames and ISU, and grew up in Ankeny (northern Des Moines suburb), which is 20 minutes south from Ames and ISU campus. He went to a small college in Missouri, but one his first major coaching gig was LB/DB coach for ISU. Ironically, you guys have run into CPR before - he was the defensive coordinator of the Pitt team the Utes beat in the Fiesta Bowl.

Basically, if he keeps on keeping on (improving/winning), he could end up being more important to ISU than even Hayden Fry was for Iowa - the difference being Fry was an adopted Texan who became icon of this state, whereas CPR is as Iowan as it gets.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78

Utahute72

Oct 3, 2010
I gotta say when I listened to Rhodes and his assistants.

I hear a lot of the things I have heard from KWhitt and our assistants. Sounds like you guys have a coach that can build a program. It also sounds like he is grounded in the area so more likely to stay (also like KWitt, he's already turned down Washington and Tennessee). Sounds Rhodes is doing a lot of things similar to us on offense also, should be an interesting game.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Re: I gotta say when I listened to Rhodes and his assistants.

I hear a lot of the things I have heard from KWhitt and our assistants. Sounds like you guys have a coach that can build a program. It also sounds like he is grounded in the area so more likely to stay (also like KWitt, he's already turned down Washington and Tennessee). Sounds Rhodes is doing a lot of things similar to us on offense also, should be an interesting game.

It all depends which ISU team shows up. I expect the same team that appeared last week to show. If the ISU team that played at Iowa shows, it will be a long day for us.

Either way, if you are coming to the game, enjoy the day. The weather is going to be perfect! The tailgating is world-class.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I would see them using the excuse of "Utah isn't from an AQ conference, therefore inferior"

You're spot on, a loss hurts Utah more than a win helps us in the eyes of the media. I don't agree with it and beating a top 10 team in a non conference game would be a huge step for this program but the media is more eager to knock Utah down a peg or two then it is ready to pump us up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron