Ames Restaurant Question

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
A few weeks back I was in Ames and there was a new buffet restaurant going up south of Old Chicago. I remember taking note of it but don't remember what it was. If its open I was going to try it out before the game tonight. Anyone know?

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Isn't that the Old Country Buffett that has been in the works for over five years now?

clonefromNE

SuperFanatic
Oct 27, 2006
Boston
I think it is a japanese steakhouse cook in front of you type place. At least that was in the windows across the street to the south a few weeks back.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
If you plan to eat at Old Country Buffet don't expect to see much of the game as you will be in the can for 3/4 of it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Old Country Buffet. That's it. Thanks.

Yeah...the sign that says Old Country Buffet coming soon has been up for about 4 years now. Not to burst your bubble, but that more or less means it is never coming. They actually tore that building down a couple of months ago and put up a small strip mall, which does have the Japanese steakhouse. However, I’m not sure if it is open yet?

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that Old Country Buffet is pretty far from being ready to open. They're just getting the structure built right now. That building is right behind the small strip mall. The japanese steakhouse looks like it will be open soon, though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Kind of reminds me of the South Park Episode "Grey Dawn" where all the old folks had to get to Country Kitchen Buffet! lol

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I think that Old Country Buffet is pretty far from being ready to open. They're just getting the structure built right now. That building is right behind the small strip mall. The japanese steakhouse looks like it will be open soon, though.

OCB should be open this spring. And the Fuji Steakhouse is just finishing up the mechanical work in the kitchen. They should be getting real close.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah...the sign that says Old Country Buffet coming soon has been up for about 4 years now. Not to burst your bubble, but that more or less means it is never coming.

It is, but the backstory is rather odd from what I've been told.

Seems the guy (not from America) that bought the property didn't know there was a chain called "Old Country Buffet", and was planning to open a restaurant with the same name. He got investors, put up the signd, went through the whole works, then the OCB people said no way. So he switched to the Fuji steakhouse.

During this process, OCB got a load of phone calls from people asking about their "Ames location". So they figured, if there are that many people wondering, why not actually open one in Ames?

Long story short, there will be an OCB-sanctioned OCB in addition to the Japanese steakhouse.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
So, by using the name "Old Country" Buffet, he was probably referring to some sort of ethnic food. Could have been fun.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Old Country Buffet brings back some bad memories...

When the dorms closed and baseball season was still going on, the Athletic Departement, cutting costs as always would just give us a bunch of $5 coupons to OCB for our meals since we couldnt eat in the residence halls. Nobody should have to eat OCB for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for two weeks, nobody!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
OCB in Omaha on West Center is the cleanest buffet line I have ever seen. They actually wipe up messes left by the clientile.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
OCBs in the Quad Cities are/were pretty lousy. The one in Davenport has been dead and gone for the last several years, and I ate at the one in Moline a couple of years ago. Dried out, sitting under the infrared light for way too long. Rumor has it that one has been shut down as well. Then again, I'd rather eat at an OCB than a Bishop's any day...