Ames loses to Marshalltown in Substate.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Are you sure Ames was favored? Ames lost 3 games this year, 2 to M-Town. I would have called it even on a neutral floor.

during the reg season... they only lost 2 and one coming from mtown.. and mtown had lost 4... so i think they were favored and they were the home team.. so ya..

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
This is one thing I have a problem with the State tourney selection of Iowa. A team like ames should be playing in the State tourney. Make this game a part of the tournament. Expand the field in the tourney and eliminate the sub-states.
There are only 48 teams in 4A, expand one more round and than .333% of the teams would make it to state.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
during the reg season... they only lost 2 and one coming from mtown.. and mtown had lost 4... so i think they were favored and they were the home team.. so ya..
It was at Ankeny a neutral floor, what difference does it make which color jersey you get to wear? Actually I felt AHS was favored also, losing in o.t. at M-town and handling them at home. I also think people on this board think just because AHS has Harry Barnes that AHS should be favored and win automatically which obviously is not true. I think AHS was favored but with the rivalry and past history it was by not much.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
33% is not too much IMO

So you are saying that they should earn a trip to state by winning 2 games? Coming from a small school, I have always thought that the ease at which the big schools qualified for state devalued the acomplishment somewhat.

Let me tell you what it was like back in the day.....Nah. I won't bore you, but as a class A school we did have to win 6 games to reach state plus 3 more at state if we wanted to win it all.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Or should I tell you what I and others did to get an advantage to make it to state in my age? Nah, probably not a story you'd like to hear.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
So you are saying that they should earn a trip to state by winning 2 games? Coming from a small school, I have always thought that the ease at which the big schools qualified for state devalued the acomplishment somewhat.

Let me tell you what it was like back in the day.....Nah. I won't bore you, but as a class A school we did have to win 6 games to reach state plus 3 more at state if we wanted to win it all.
I can see it from both sides I too came from a 1A school and always thought it was easy for 4A schools to make it to state. Now that my kids are at AHS I see that in 4A every school is competitive to some extent and there is no easy ways to state, you are going to have to go thru someone to get there even though you do not have to play as many games. When I was in high school we made it to state and were not even tested all year until the substate round which is comparable to 4A and the team we played at substate was the same way.

Last edited:

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Way to go Bobcats ! Graduated there in the 70's and the M-Town/Ames games always were a blast to watch. Both always had good teams. I don't live in MTown anymore, were the Bobcats that good this year? What were they, second in District?

I grew up in Baxter in the seventies, but my dad always took us to the Bobcat games at the roundhouse, and it was always fun to see the M-Town vs. Ames games. They were definitely big time rivals back then.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
AHS can beat anyone in the state but never beats M-town....at least they get like 80% of their scoring back next year...wow.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Every team is in the tourney already in basketball. Teams know what they need to do to get to the round of 8 at state. There would be no time in 1 week to have another round of games. Every kid shouldn't have the opportunity to play at state, just like every kid shouldn't have the opportunity to play in the dome. It is for a select few and that's what makes it special.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I heard that M'town has a stud soph. He hit the game winner with under 5 sec. Does anyone know anything about him?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
big ups to waukee... first state tourney berth as 4-A school, in just their second year. upset DM Lincoln 57-53

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
The Little Cyclones haven't had a good history of coaching lately..

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The Little Cyclones haven't had a good history of coaching lately..

Actually, I'll have to disagree. Downs (the current coach) was my football D-coord in HS and the man is sharp as I've seen when it comes to Xs and Os. His one downside would be he is not a great motivator.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
big ups to waukee... first state tourney berth as 4-A school, in just their second year. upset DM Lincoln 57-53

Agreed. Big props to the Warriors, guys and girls, for making it to state. As a Waukee grad its great to see them making a splash in
4A so quickly.

CyRide3

Jul 23, 2007
how did barnes play?

The first half he was WAY off on shooting, but rebound well.
The second half he showed up and played his game. I think he only missed one shot the second half. With 10 seconds left in the game it looked as if he had hit the game winning shot to put Ames up by one (50-49).

On the night, Harrison easily had a double-double.

Another poster thought he looked like he was forcing it, but I thought he played within himself and played very unselfish- sometimes too unselfish and this was one of those times.

Overall very good game. Marshalltown played hard.

Help Support Us

Become a patron