Ames is ranked as one of the smartest cities in America

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Cities on the list go down to 80,000 people? Do they know the population of Ames?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
80,000 people in Ames?
Iowa City at #10?
Lawrence, KA at #7?

Horrible list, they should put a bit more into their research. ;)

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Although I think it is kind of cool, it is just a product of being a small city with a lot of professors and research labs. The smaller cities have a huge advantage here. Not that I mind...

BuzzBuzzBuzz

Dec 1, 2007
AMES
I was discussing the populations with a colleague, and we think the numbers (at least Ames' population) refers to Story County, not just the city of Ames. That number is just about right on. I bet it's the same for Johnson County / Ia. City.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I'll take the accolades, and even give IC its props as long as its below Ames... but Boulder as #1. They obviously didn't factor hippies into the equation. (looking for the appropriate Cartman video clip, but I can't find one)

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Of course, you realize they are equating "having PhDs" with "being smart".

Frankly, I've met more drooling idiots who hold PhDs than any other single class of people, to include Iowa Hawkeye Fans.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I'll take the accolades, and even give IC its props as long as its below Ames... but Boulder as #1. They obviously didn't factor hippies into the equation. (looking for the appropriate Cartman video clip, but I can't find one)

I've got your cartman reference to hippies in Boulder

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2q87y6tF8"]YouTube - Cartman introduces Colorado's starting lineup[/ame]

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
*ahem* Lawrence, KS? Not helping our cause there, AirWalke

One man is single-handedly keeping Lawrence in the top ten:

mangino.jpg

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Re: Forbes ranks Ames as one of the smartest cities in the US

What do they consider a "professional degree"?

ekim121

Apr 13, 2006

This is a good parallel to the discussion in the football forum about how much stars mean in the recruiting process. You can have all the degrees you want, but sometimes that doesn't mean squat. The true measure of a 'smart' or great city is one that people truly want to live in, one that lets people well enough alone instead of micromanaging, and one that welcomes progress instead of stifling growth.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I was discussing the populations with a colleague, and we think the numbers (at least Ames' population) refers to Story County, not just the city of Ames. That number is just about right on. I bet it's the same for Johnson County / Ia. City.

2006 Population Estimates

Ames - 53,284
Iowa City - 63,807

Story Co - 80,145
Johnson Co - 118,038

It appears the population estimate is correct (although very much a stretch IMO)

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006

What do they consider a "professional degree"?

Professional degrees are degrees that are specifically tied to a type of job or profession. Examples are M.D. for medical doctors and J.D. for lawyers. Those degrees, possibly along with other certification, give you the right to practice medicine or practice law, etc.

In contrast, B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. are general degrees.

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006

They get this from the Census Bureau. The Iowa City Metropolitan Statistical Area includes Johnson and Washington counties, and the Ames MSA includes Story County.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron