American TV

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Had some friends report the prices were raised 25% between last week and today. Sounds like a scam.

True, but then again it's not surprising they couldn't run a successful going out of business sale when they couldn't run a successful business to begin with.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
That place would absolutely survive if you let the current employees go and hired high school kids who had social skills. The customer service is worst than any other business I can think of in my life.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Holy ripoff, Batman. What a joke. I went to look at tv's, 40" range LED, and could immediately tell why they're going out of business. Spot-checked a few on Amazon, looks like their "closeout sale" prices are about 20% higher than Amazon... which Best Buy will pricematch if you want to shop brick-and-mortar. But there were no shortage of "bargain hunters" taking it in the *** with gleeful smiles on their faces...

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Holy ripoff, Batman. What a joke. I went to look at tv's, 40" range LED, and could immediately tell why they're going out of business. Spot-checked a few on Amazon, looks like their "closeout sale" prices are about 20% higher than Amazon... which Best Buy will pricematch if you want to shop brick-and-mortar. But there were no shortage of "bargain hunters" taking it in the *** with gleeful smiles on their faces...

With BB matching amazon prices, i don't know why anyone doesn't go there for bigger items. I guess i'm old school, but i like to buy in person. I've always thought i should go get a job there and convince my friends to do the same and try to improve the rep of the BB sales staff (some are pretty bad --> some are good). What makes sense to me is if Amazon and BB partnered up and made BB the "amazon brick and mortar" part of amazon. Don't see it here, get it ordered from amazon and shipped to your house or to the store. I know amazon makes a killing on their own, but pretty much whatever business they added would be just more profit.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

What you witnessed today wasn't their former ongoing business model. They were very competitive price-wise. All you saw today is how they chose to run their "going-out-of-business" sale.

Agreed, though. I saw a lot of people today purchasing what they believed were bargains. All sales final, so feel bad for those that got home and did their comparison shopping after the fact (to see how great of a price they got). Rude awakening.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Sales Tax

I suppose... but usually sales tax isn't going to stop me from buying "local"... in all honesty, sales tax SHOULD be charged and collected from online retailers... but that's neither here nor there and i don't want to get into that debate ;)

I still do buy A LOT of stuff from amazon though (can't beat their prices on the amazon basics cables and i've never had one fail me yet). But if BB is competitively prices, i'll usually buy there as i like being able to return in store even though amazon's return policy is top notch

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
With BB matching amazon prices, i don't know why anyone doesn't go there for bigger items. I guess i'm old school, but i like to buy in person. I've always thought i should go get a job there and convince my friends to do the same and try to improve the rep of the BB sales staff (some are pretty bad --> some are good). What makes sense to me is if Amazon and BB partnered up and made BB the "amazon brick and mortar" part of amazon. Don't see it here, get it ordered from amazon and shipped to your house or to the store. I know amazon makes a killing on their own, but pretty much whatever business they added would be just more profit.

images

For the longest time, I only went there to look at something in person before ordering online. Then once they started price-matching, I actually bought stuff there again. Now it seems like prices are more and more in line with online retailers anyways, for the most part.

As for the sales people... I personally don't go into Best Buy looking for help or asking questions. I'm sure there's some correlation between the fact that they have less-knowledgeable sales people and they don't pay on commission. And that's fine with me because I can get in and out without anyone bothering me. Although I think the guy who sits at the front door must get in trouble if he doesn't say "hi" to every customer, even if he's distracted when I walk in and he says "hi" to my back when I'm 10 feet past the door...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
As for the sales people... I personally don't go into Best Buy looking for help or asking questions. I'm sure there's some correlation between the fact that they have less-knowledgeable sales people and they don't pay on commission. And that's fine with me because I can get in and out without anyone bothering me. Although I think the guy who sits at the front door must get in trouble if he doesn't say "hi" to every customer, even if he's distracted when I walk in and he says "hi" to my back when I'm 10 feet past the door...

The problem I have with Best Buy is the last few times I have went to buy bigger items, I couldn't get anyone to help me, get that item. That and their always seems to be long lines at the checkout with a manager just standing around watching.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The problem I have with Best Buy is the last few times I have went to buy bigger items, I couldn't get anyone to help me, get that item. That and their always seems to be long lines at the checkout with a manager just standing around watching.

OR they have to order it anyway. Then you go back to the store to pick it up 5 days later :rolleyes: :realmad:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Thanks for the updates. Guess I'll wait for 'em to get more desperate :twitcy:

By the time they "get more desperate" there won't be anything of value left. They will sell a ton of stuff this weekend because people think they are getting deals. My guess is if you go back in there next weekend, it will be pretty picked over. They will get to a point where there really isn't much left, and they will load it on a truck and ship it to another one of their stores and they will close this location. They will do this until all the stores are closed, or they will find someone who will come in and buy everything that is remaining for pennies on the dollar.

What they are doing with the 10% off on some items and higher percentages off on other items is very common when stores go out of business. They use the higher percentage tag line to people in the doors. They are still trying to make money on the items in the store.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
Does anyone know if American is running the going out of business sale themselves or if they brought in someone to do ?

There are companies that will do your going out of business sale for you and they will probably bring in their own inventory to sell. It has been awhile, but a member of the family had a company come in and run the going out of business sale for a small town furniture store. That company brought in more lamps to sell than they had bought in the past three years. The sale was going to run so many days whether the store inventory was all sold or not.

Big sales are a great insight into peoples thinking. The majority of people wont spend seconds to see if they are really getting a bargain or if they even need it. They see SALE or think it is a big SALE they will buy...buy... buy.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
^^A few comments on the thread claimed they had insider information. No one mentioned this. Either American didn't hire a 3rd party or our "insiders" aren't so inside.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I had hope for about 10 seconds. I walked in and saw a $120 radio for $15!!! Oh wait, that's $15 off. WTF

What was funny is even those items that they have a huge mark up on like speakers wire we're only 10-20% off. Saw very few A/V receivers.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
People act like American should drop their pants. American will make money on their TV's whether they sell them in the store or have another company buy their merchandise that is leftover after the sale. I hate to see anyone lose a job, it just shows that big box stores will soon be gone. On the east coast you can already start to see grocery stores closing because online shopping (Fresh Direct) is becoming very competitive price wise.
I was watching CNN and they said there hasn't been a mall (fully enclosed) built since 2006 in America.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
People act like American should drop their pants. American will make money on their TV's whether they sell them in the store or have another company buy their merchandise that is leftover after the sale. I hate to see anyone lose a job, it just shows that big box stores will soon be gone. On the east coast you can already start to see grocery stores closing because online shopping (Fresh Direct) is becoming very competitive price wise.
I was watching CNN and they said there hasn't been a mall (fully enclosed) built since 2006 in America.

Nobody says they have to 'drop their pants' but from everything reported it sounds like their 'deals' are nothing better than you could find any day of the week elsewhere.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron